Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What's the point of Battery Relocation?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the point of Battery Relocation?
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't understand the idea of Battery Relocation, Why would it matter if 20 pounds was in the back rather than in the front? I just don't see the point. Someone enlighten me. [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some tracks say you need to have your battery mounted safely, put it in the rear of your car better traction.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Removing weight from the front of the vehicle helps with weight transfer. Moving the battery to the trunk/hatch also helps clean up the engine compartment so you can have a nice engine bay like this:

-

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup. Any weight you can remove from over the front wheels is good.

Damn Jeff, you're engine bay gave me a boner. Sweet.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the weight savings closer to 45 lbs with everything...The front of a Mustang is already heavy and makes the car nose dive under breaking. Not good!...If you put that weight in the back it evens the weight of the car out for over all better handling.

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes Jeff, Your engine bay gave me a boner as well. That's very nice. Thanks for the help. Where should I mount it in a hatchback? Or should I leave it up front. I noticed mostly people with notchbacks get the relocation kit. [Confused]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put the N20 bottle in the spare tire well and the battery just to the right of it and out of the way of the trunk arm.
60#'s right where I want it (over rear axle)

the hatchback guys actually put it in the same place

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
-20lb from the engine bay
+20lb in the trunk
=40lb. difference.

Mount it on the passenger sid.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You want to mount it in on the passengers side in the hatch area. You must also use the Morosso battery box as it is the only one that is NHRA legal. If you use a different box you are required to have a firewall to separate the hatch area from the drivers compartment(This is if you go to a dragstrip).

Here is a webpage with all the details:

http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom.html

--------------------

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey jeff, looks like you forgot something... like how to get the air from the blower to the tb.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIR Paint Job with Tercel on N2O:
hey jeff, looks like you forgot something... like how to get the air from the blower to the tb.

tubless blower sick shit.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by SIR Paint Job with Tercel on N2O:

tubless blower sick shit.
In that case you should also relocate the blower to the trunk.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

jeff that isn't your motor is it [Confused] my boy lives in texas is friends with the guy that you bought the car from.

[ December 31, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: gR40coupe ]

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

SIR Paint Job with Tercel on N2O,

With the RPM i'm spinning that Novi I figured enough of the air would find its way into the throttle body. Now if I only had spark plug wires and the throttle linkage hooked up i'd be all set!

gR40coupe,

That is a pic of my old '93 GT which I parted out. The new car is in my sig.

[ December 31, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com