Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gears

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gears
9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 9SVTerror8  Ford pictures for 9SVTerror8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought my car used from a dealership...used. And i want to find out if it has different gears and couldnt tell since this is my first cobra. Is there an easier way to find out, since i cant jack my car up at my apt and turn the wheels to count how many times the gear rotates, is there an easier way like it should rev at a certain RPM in a certain gear at a certain speed or do i have to do it the old fashion way? Thanks

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT

"I thought you said he was a getaway driver? What the f*ck can he get away from!"

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwayracingSVT:
I bought my car used from a dealership...used. And i want to find out if it has different gears and couldnt tell since this is my first cobra. Is there an easier way to find out, since i cant jack my car up at my apt and turn the wheels to count how many times the gear rotates, is there an easier way like it should rev at a certain RPM in a certain gear at a certain speed or do i have to do it the old fashion way? Thanks

While goin 80 what RPM are you at? I have 3:73's and im revvin about 2700.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9SVTerror8  Ford pictures for 9SVTerror8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i can recall correctly i am pretty sure it about 2700/2800.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT

"I thought you said he was a getaway driver? What the f*ck can he get away from!"

StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You're stock then...3.27 I believe

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9SVTerror8  Ford pictures for 9SVTerror8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious because i know a 4.10 revs right around 3k and wasn't sure if i was hitting 2700/2800 on stock or not...

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
quote:

Are you sure fuitcake? HAHA!!! I had 3:27's in the SLUG and was revvin around 2300-2400 at 80 if i remember correctly...

Although, would it matter it being the difference of having a stick vs. auto...

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in my 4.6 i just installed 3.73's and when i am going 70 on the freeway my rpm's are at about 2400.

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
excerpt from:

"Easiest way to check is to jack the car up in the back by the middle so that both wheels are off the ground, then mark the yoke, and mark the right tire, then count how many times the yoke turns to one rotation of the tire. This will tell you the ratio of the gears."

[ December 17, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: rr_mustang ]

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.30's here and mine revs at 3000 going 80 mph.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

quote:
Originally posted by J's DDLY SNK:
4.30's here and mine revs at 3000 going 80 mph.

Really? not bad, i thought 4.30's revved higher like at 3200 or something...guess i was wrong though. How is the take off... might think about getting 4.10's or 4.30s
9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

quote:
Originally posted by rr_mustang:
excerpt from:

"Easiest way to check is to jack the car up in the back by the middle so that both wheels are off the ground, then mark the yoke, and mark the right tire, then count how many times the yoke turns to one rotation of the tire. This will tell you the ratio of the gears."

I thought about that [Big Grin] but dont have a way to jack it up at my apt and dont really want to take it to a shop. There isnt an easier way if you cant jack up your car is there??? thanks for the help

[ December 17, 2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: SwayracingSVT ]

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The take offs are sweet! [Big Grin] Love the way the car flies after dumping the clutch. but dont recommend them if you drive on freeway a lot. I only bring out the snake on weekends. But if can afford it get them ! First gear is totally usable. many people assume you loose it with 4.30's but not with these Cobras.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98StangPower:
quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
quote:

Are you sure fuitcake? HAHA!!! I had 3:27's in the SLUG and was revvin around 2300-2400 at 80 if i remember correctly...

Although, would it matter it being the difference of having a stick vs. auto...

lol...check your facts Ryan...cobra's naturally are higher revving engines than the 2v's...I still say he's stock.

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
C55AMG
¯
Member # 1459

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for C55AMG  Ford pictures for C55AMG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99 Cobra here with stock gears, Whoever said 80mph at @2200-2300 is right.

And 70 at 2700rpm...yeah probably in 4th

Posts: 47 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On your driver door there should be a sticker with you vin# and a bunch of other codes such as paint codes,interior codes,axel codes etc... Run the axel code and it SHOULD tell you what ratio you have.if that sticker is not on your door or on the inside of the doorjam the only other way would be the ole jack it up routine or by pulling the diff cover.

BTW on another note someone said something about a certain motor being more high revving?'

That would play no part in this because overall motor rpm capability wasnt the issue.it doesnt matter if your motor can spin 10,000 rpm or 5,000 rpm when you are going 80 on the freeway if the cars have the same gear.tire and tranny combo they should be identiacal.

also comparing rpms from one car to the other isnt a good way to figure out your gear ratio.tranny gearing could be different as well as tire size.

So try the easy way which is running your axel code either thru a chiltons repair manual or on a ford code decoding webpage which should decode it as well.if not you can do the driveshaft rotation deal or take the cover off your housing for a 100% answer.

Hope this helps

[ December 18, 2002, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: HaulinAssMaro ]

Posts: 22471 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
9SVTerror8
¯
Member # 2180

Appreciate the help haulinassmaro...ill give that a go! [patriot]

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Appreciate the help haulinassmaro...ill give that a go! [patriot]

no problem.
Posts: 22471 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com