Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 89 mustang automatic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 89 mustang automatic
SBSblk50
¯
Member # 2194

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SBSblk50  Ford pictures for SBSblk50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have an 89 mustang gt i was woundering what could i buy to make it fast but drive it for a daily driver? thanx [dance]

--------------------
:SOUTHBAYSTANGS:
www.southbaystangs.com

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope, Can't happen. Absolutely Impossible......

J/K, is this a serious question? LOL do a search or something. Sheeeit [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Automatic? I wish you luck. [Confused]

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.90:1 rear end gears and some underdrive pullies will make the biggest seat of the pants difference for you.
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nitrous. [patriot]

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there are not many mods for mustangs and they are an undesired car. i am of a handful of people that like these undesired cars, so if you go to sell it let me know [Smile]

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gears, u/d pulleys, cai, free flowing exhaust. With an automatic I would suggest a good shift kit if you don't already have one. Just my $0.02

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An AODE is not the best choice for a perfomance transmission. Even with a shift kit they are a little weak. If you go with mild HP and no drag race stars to overload the damn thing you may get away with. Because of the weakness I have remove the AODE from a few cars and replaced them with C-4'or T-5's. Good luck.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Deside now what you how fast you want to go and what the purpose of the car will be. If you want to cruise around and have some fun, 410 gears converter and the jug will do. But if you want more, blower gears and a converter.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shift kit, gears, full exhaust is a good start

after that go for a supercharger and/or heads/cam/intake

Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do this! Get 373 gears installed at Rear End Specialties, eliminate the snorkel, KNN air filter, power pulleys, 12-13 degrees of timing, and a complete tune up. That will put you respectively in the 14.4-14.8 range.

That is the cheap way, from there start with the removal of the cats, full exhaust, heads, intake, etc.

Good luck

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SBSblk50
¯
Member # 2194

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBSblk50  Ford pictures for SBSblk50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much you think i'll be spending to do that? [Confused] [dance]

--------------------
www.southbaystangs.com

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by krazy-stang:
i have an 89 mustang gt i was woundering what could i buy to make it fast but drive it for a daily driver? thanx [dance]

i have a 89 coupe its stock well it was
but with a ZEX nos kit

it has run a best of 13.8
that was with bad tuning next time i take it out
It should run 13.5

but in currently thinking of swapping out the tranny couse that thing takes for ever to shift

i think if i was to leave the tranny add a shift kit and some 373 it would be in the 12's

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by krazy-stang:
how much you think i'll be spending to do that? [Confused] [dance]

The gears and installation will cost a couple hundred (well worth it), the other stuff will cost about a hundred bucks total and some elbow grease.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SBSblk50
¯
Member # 2194

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for SBSblk50  Ford pictures for SBSblk50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Were could i buy all this stuff? [worship]

--------------------
www.southbaystangs.com

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well on the net,summit, jegs, huston performance, or you can buy used parts to save you some cash

go to diffren sites and check out their for sale section

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some shorty equal length ceramic coated headers from Bassani, a catted Bassanni X pipe, 2 chamber Flows, underdrive pulleys, a CAI full length fenderwell, 3.55 gears, E303 cam, Posi rear end, a Hypertech programmer, and a Noszle nitrous system from NOS go with the 125 shot. This should be safe and pass smog although it'll cost you an arm and a leg for realistically not that much but well worth it. If you don't car about smog then disregard this post. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an AOD and just do this first so you dont waste your time and money trying to make your car fast:

Gears #1 (Practcle gears for you for a street car would be 3.90's or go with 3.73's)

Shift Kit #2 (You need to get that tranny shifting quicker so its takes the sluggish shifting away.)

Torque Converter #3 (You have to get a torque converter for your automatic to actually be fast, my car is still slow because it has taken a while to actually figure that out)

Full Exhaust #4 ( After you do the gears and torque converter replace the full exhaust system with an off road pipe to get rid of those cats and get some good sounding mufflers.)

Tires #5 (If you want to actually go somewhere with gears and a torque converter you have to spend some money on some decnt tires and defnatley have drag radials for the strip)

With those 5 mods I will be sure that you would be mid 13's. Thats respectble for only 5 mods.

I would reccomend you going to www.Rearendspecialties.com
for your gear install and I would reccomend you looking for your parts from either www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com
Summit is quicker because they do ship out of Reno and you get your parts in like 2 days or quicker.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com