Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » slicks ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: slicks ???
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you had a fully tubed stang had 26 inch slicks, and your motor only made 300 hp is that enough power to get huge slicks to work, as in with 300 hp 300 torque wouldn't the car bog of the line don't you need a good amount of torque to get big slicks to work right. with only 300 hp wouldn't that hurt your 1/4 mile time.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well first the biggest slicks m/t sells for 26" tall only has a 10" tread, their biggest street slick is a 9.8" tread.
Hoosier's biggest 26" tall tire is 10" and their widest street slick is also 10".

so no one would ever put a 26" tall tire on a fully tubbed car.

Traction is traction, there is no such thing as too much. The big question is if the motor would have enough power to spin some big ass tires enough to heat them up to the point where they get 100% traction.

sounds like a perfect car for street racing though.

Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you're forgetting a very important factor... GEAR! Even a stock V6 'stang with something crazy like 6.56:1 gear out back won't bog with 26 inch slicks.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard that ~300 rwhp mustangs can hook all day on a 26x8 slick, yet when they step up to a 26x10 slick they can have serious bog issues. (warning, corral.net source info)

I'm leaning myself towards a 26x8 ET Drag sans a 26x10 ET Drag but I'm still a little undecided? I mean how bad can the bog be at a 5k launch with 3.73s out back and 300rwhp? damn internet racer/liers!! [Mad] lol

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Pro50Eric
¯
Member # 2065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pro50Eric  Ford pictures for Pro50Eric  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tires have a whole lot to do with how the car hooks etc. If you only have 300hp it's not gonna turn a tire that a fully tubbed car would normally have. You'd be better off with a 26 * 10" tire.

--------------------
Recently Acquired!! 68 Camaro Outlaw 10.5

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we're takling drag racing so i'm thinking automatic, it's hard to bog with an auto.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my old car had this exact equation: 300rwhp, 26inch tall slicks and 3.73's. Car weighed 2800 lbs...stock control arms...best of day was a 12.29 at 110 with a 1.72

upgraded to 28 inch slicks, 4.10 gears, upper/lower control arms and traction bars, lightened car up by 100 lbs and went 12.00 @ 112 with a 1.58-1.61 sixty foot all day long...still only 300rwhp

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote that a car should not bog on 26x10s with 3.73's.
YAMAHA-SHO89
¯
Member # 2210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for YAMAHA-SHO89  Ford pictures for YAMAHA-SHO89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Slick are slicks and wont give once they bite the track [Big Grin] If a Taurus SHO can hook on slicks w/220hp anything is possible in a Stang or any car w/300+hp. I have a 68' Camaro that once had 300hp, now 600+ and it had no problem with turning 7.8's w/slicks and now mid 6's in the 1/8

--------------------
89' SHO(YAMAHA POWER)
Mods: Custom Ram Air(2; 2.5" tubes to air box) & lightned up a good 300lbs @ 3000 now w/me inside(Only a one seater ;-) interior is all metal all around even trunk)
Best run of the 1/8:
60' - 2.259
330 - 6.196 @ 57.40
1/8 - 9.460 @ 74.37
That was w/touring street tires and a clutch slippin that went completly bye bye after the race

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com