Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 9 inch rear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 9 inch rear
7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering if anyone knew a donor vehicle i can get a 9 inch rear out of that will fit on my 01 gt. I've heard they bolt right in no problem, and I know theyre way more durable than an 8.8. How much hp can they hold without hardened axles?

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do you need a 9" for? I see that you have longtubes and 3.73s, i dont think that should be snapping the 8.8?

[ December 11, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: 2000BlackGT ]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Pro50Eric
¯
Member # 2065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pro50Eric  Ford pictures for Pro50Eric  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that 8.8 rear you have can handle about 500+rwhp. Why fork out the money for a 9 inch??

--------------------
Recently Acquired!! 68 Camaro Outlaw 10.5

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont want it now, but in the future i wouldnt mind. Just want to get info and later down the road when i need it then ill put one in.

--------------------

2001 gt.... sold

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlowAss01:
I dont want it now, but in the future i wouldnt mind. Just want to get info and later down the road when i need it then ill put one in.

Jeff S has an 8.8 with 600+ RWHP and harold has 623+ RWHP with an 8.8. you think you will be pushing more than that?
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 8.8 is pretty durable. I believe it's better than a 9". 8.8 has: much bigger pinion shaft, less weight, uses less hp to turn, and it's already in your car. We have had very good luck running 8.8s in high horsepower cars, a few of them over 500 rwhp. A 9" has the advantage of unlimited gear ratios and it's pretty easy to change gears, but most people don't do a gear swap enough to consider that as a factor.

There is no 9" housing that would bolt right in, you will have to get one from Currie or Moser, or you can find an old housing at a wrecking yard and have it cut for size and the brackets welded on.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

I was just wondering if it would swap in because someone had told me its a direct swap and i thought maybe it was possible to get one from a junkyard or something and swap it in instead of shelling out all the cash for hardedned axles and a new posi.

--------------------

2001 gt.... sold

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A nine is not a direct swap. You will have to have one made. The 8.8 is lighter nad can handle a lot of power. I would stick with it.If you really need a 9' call Currie, They will build one for you.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How durable are 8.8 in stock form? I have a 93 cobra R rear end/ w 3.55 U think I can run slicks on it and be safe? I will hopefully have 300 rwhp

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would put a T/A cover on it just to be sure, but other than that I see no problem, How much HP ?

--------------------

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

sorry, saw that 300rwhp. it should be fine with the cover.

--------------------

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TOPnotch:
How durable are 8.8 in stock form? I have a 93 cobra R rear end/ w 3.55 U think I can run slicks on it and be safe? I will hopefully have 300 rwhp

when you put some slicks on it i'll race you with my DR [Big Grin]
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If anything you could go for 9 inch ends and be cool.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com