Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Looking for a good mustang shop in SJ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a good mustang shop in SJ?
Lil Big
¯
Member # 1808

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lil Big  Ford pictures for Lil Big    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can someone recommend a good shop to take my stang to in San Jose?

My "Check engine" light came on this morning & the car only has 31K. Was I supposed to have a 30K maintenance done?
A nice little merry X-mas from my car.

Thanks Matt

--------------------
98 Mustang Vert

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Checkout http://www.apexmotorsports.com/ . They do great modifications, keep in mind that they are not a repair shop.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can also try mustang ranch in santa clara, or any ford dealership.

I would umplug your battery for a while, and see if you can reset the code.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you considered checking the code yourself with a scanner? If you take it to a shop (Apex is good, but they DO charge for everything) you will be paying way to much for what you could possibly replace yourself (bad sensor or something).

How's the car running, btw?

[ December 11, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Lil Big
¯
Member # 1808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil Big  Ford pictures for Lil Big    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car is running perfectly.
How much would a scanner cost? Is there a make and model #? I like that idea, I prefer doing things myself.
Where's the cheapest place to get one? Ebay?

I'll unplug the battery tonight hopefully it will reset it & not cost me any money.

This is my first stang, sorry for the bonehead questions. The mustang ranch do they do engine repairs? Or just performance?

Where's the best place to have gears & T-lok installed?

[ December 11, 2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Lil Big ]

--------------------
98 Mustang Vert

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Lil Big:
The car is running perfectly.
How much would a scanner cost? Is there a make and model #? I like that idea, I prefer doing things myself.
Where's the cheapest place to get one? Ebay?

A lot of shops have the tool and will scan your codes for like $15. Call Bill at APEX and ask him how much he'll scan your codes for. If you unplug your battery, you will get rid of the code temporarily, but 99.9% chance it will come back after 100 miles or so. Bill's number is (408) 562-1000.

quote:

Where's the best place to have gears & T-lok installed?

The most popular place on this site by far is rearend specialties. Also, make sure you have an extra $90 for bearings, I'm sure they'll charge you for that

Rearend Specialties
(408) 988-3619
1040 Di Giulio Ave # 350
Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have made changes to the car you may need a O2 mod bypass installed on both your sensors.It plugs in between the sensor and the harness.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give Ray at Miller's Automovite in Campbell a call. They've done some work for me and their rates are much more reasonable than Apex. For some reason, they HATE Byron over there though, lol.

I believe the number is 866-6661, but check the phone book to be sure.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
doesnt autozone pull codes for free? im sure i heard one of those places on the radio saying they will check why the check engine light is on. i know it wasnt kragen cuz i was leaving and i heard it on thier radio and laughed.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think Apex does work on V6's....but in this case, maybe they can help you w/ the codes.
Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Lil Big
¯
Member # 1808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil Big  Ford pictures for Lil Big    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the suggestions & shops.
I disconnected the battery/reset the computer.
So far so good, but if & when it comes back on I'll call up auto zone & or bill's auto.

As far as mod's, I only have GT dual exaust put on and that was over a month ago. everything else is stock.

Thanks Matt

[ December 12, 2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Lil Big ]

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stoked - I don't have the whole story, but Ray says that Byron kept screwing up engines they sent to him.
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think a scanner from Autozone is like $29.00. You can have them (autozone) scan it for you, but if your like me (prefer to be the only one touching your car), then get the scanner and have at it. It pretty much is "plug-in easy to do". [Cool]

As far as them "hating Byron"...I am not to sure about that. I mean Bryon is like the tuning god [worship] and has helped me a number of times on my car without charging me and all done under his own free time. Cool dude in my book...and if he is messing up engines...perhaps those engines weren't built correctly...?? Sort of the flip side of the coin...

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Lil Big
¯
Member # 1808

I picked up the car from the shop yesterday. They scanned for error codes twice, found nothing, road tested, & reset the computer. I'm $90 lighter & I'm just waiting for it to come back on again.
Ow well, She's not reliable like my civic but she sure is beautiful automobile.

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The codes should have still remained in history until cleared. If you disconnect the battery for however long, reconnect the battery, let the car go through its learning process, the codes should still remain in the computer's history.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Can someone recommend a good shop to take my stang to in San Jose?

My "Check engine" light came on this morning & the car only has 31K. Was I supposed to have a 30K maintenance done?
A nice little merry X-mas from my car.

Thanks Matt

well my 1st ? would be to you have you done anything to the car MOD's wise

I would not take it to a shop just yet
when the check engine light somes on 99% of the time it has to do with emisions

I would reset the computer and wait to see if it happens again it
it might of just been a clitch in a sensor I mean if the car drives fine of course

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Lil Big
¯
Member # 1808

When the shop ran the codes, they found nothing both times (before & after they reset it).

The only Mod's: Dual exhaust (with all original cats & GT mufflers) & a K&N drop in filter.

Before I took the car to the shop, I did disconect the battery for an hour & the light came back on 2 days later.
Tomorrow will be the second day so we'll see what happens.

[ December 18, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Lil Big ]

--------------------
98 Mustang Vert

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The only Mod's: Dual exhaust (with all original cats & GT mufflers) & a K&N drop in filter.

Before I took the car to the shop, I did disconect the battery for an hour & the light came back on 2 days later.
Tomorrow will be the second day so we'll see what happens.

maybe a bad o2 sensor I would take them sensor off and clean them off with wd40 and put them back

then reset your computer again

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com