Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Please help me select a CLUTCH given the following

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help me select a CLUTCH given the following
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I plan on replacing the stock clutch in my '93 coupe soon. The car is mostly stock and will be staying that way for a while, but it will see Nitto Drag radials. So I need a clutch that will stand up to some abuse and last a long time. I don't want a significantly high pedal effort either.

I had a FMS HD clutch in my 87GT for 4 years and it performed great, but the pedal effort was too high for me. If I can avoid that, that would be great.

Here's what I have it narrowed down to. I want to hear your opinions...

1.)FMS King Cobra (supposed to be comparable to the HD, but less pedal effort... However your beloved moderator here, who will remain nameless, told me that the PP of the clutch was a "limp d-i-c-k" in his white '89LX hatchback...

2.)Spec Stage I (supposed to be a stronger version of the stocker). Anyone using this one? How is the pedal effort, and how has it held up?

3.)Spec II - This is $50 more than the other two, but supposed to be good for 500HP and stand up to some significant abuse.

So lets hear it guys. All I want is a clutch with liveable pedal effort, will stand up to Nittos, and will last a long time.
Thanks
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SVT Team
¯
Member # 1303

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for SVT Team  Ford pictures for SVT Team    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious. whats the cost difference between each one. I have a 98 Cobra and figure they would set me back about 4 bills.
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my spec stage II is great. Little more pedal effort than stock but i love it. It has been holding up to my nitto abuse
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, i might have a deal on Spec Clutches, PM me if you want more info
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
either a king cobra or the spec stage 1 would be plenty. i have a king cobra and my friend has a stage 1. pedal effort is the same, but the spec seems to jerk you more when you shift. my king cobra is older and i didnt resurface the flywheel when i changed it so that might have something to do with it.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run a spec-III and the clutch effort is just barely higher than stock.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys think the Stage I will stand up to some street abuse with an occasional 4000RPM side-step on Nittos, or should I look into the stage II? HOw is the pedal effort between the two?

Which has a smoother operation? Also, does Spec have a website... I can't seem to find it anywhere. All the searches are bringing up private vendors.

Someone asked about the prices...

The KC and Stage I spec are about $190-200 a piece, and the stage II spec is $250...
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
You guys think the Stage I will stand up to some street abuse with an occasional 4000RPM side-step on Nittos, or should I look into the stage II? HOw is the pedal effort between the two?

Which has a smoother operation? Also, does Spec have a website... I can't seem to find it anywhere. All the searches are bringing up private vendors.

Someone asked about the prices...

The KC and Stage I spec are about $190-200 a piece, and the stage II spec is $250...
Luke

Hey Luke,
Stage 1 is what was in my 88. Works fine, but as you felt, it is stiff.

Stage 2 is overkill based on your statements of keeping it stock. It is also stiffer and chatters more.

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I loved my King Cobra clutch set-up when I had a T-5. Pedal effort was lighter than the HD PP but held up just fine on my 331 sidestepping the clutch @ 5500 rpm [burnout]

No experience with the Spec clutches

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my Stage 3 from www.fourvalve.com for cheap and I like it a lot. Grabs well, pedal isn't very hard, and doesn't chatter much (anymore, takes about 1000 miles to break them in).

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my Spec stage II from www.fourvalve.com I would recommand it for sure.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Deffinately go with a Spec Stage II...and www.fourvalve.com has the best prices and service around

[ December 10, 2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Yellow94GT ]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke,

Just get the SPEC Stage 2...

Also... Do not buy from fourvalve.com... www.modernperformancenw.com is the site you want as the guy on 4valve.com stole the HTML off of Modernperformancenw's webpage. He supposedly has changed it, but I just want you to know the kind of people that you might be dealing with... I got mine from Craig at Modernperformance... Great service and prices... He's also the one that does group purchases and is a corral authorized advertiser...

My Stage 2 is just sitting in my room waiting for the stock one to go... [Mad]

Later

[ December 10, 2002, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy:
Luke,

Just get the SPEC Stage 2...

Also... Do not buy from fourvalve.com... www.modernperformancenw.com is the site you want as the guy on 4valve.com stole the HTML off of Modernperformancenw's webpage. He supposedly has changed it, but I just want you to know the kind of people that you might be dealing with... I got mine from Craig at Modernperformance... Great service and prices... He's also the one that does group purchases and is a corral authorized advertiser...

My Stage 2 is just sitting in my room waiting for the stock one to go... [Mad]

Later

Who the hell cares about stuff like that anyway. Business is about service, and the service at fourvalve can't be beat. End of story

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
stanger91
¯
Member # 397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger91  Ford pictures for stanger91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rev Happy, you must be good friends with craig? Ive never heard such negative things about me before. Anyways, this is not corral, so it does not matter weather he is a corral advertiser or not. And me stealing craigs HTML, well, go look for yourself. My site is 100 tims nicer then his, there is no need for me to steal his HTML.Anyways, im not here to argue, for the bet prices and service around check out my website.

[ December 10, 2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: stanger91 ]

--------------------
E.T 12.314@126.300

Posts: 778 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT Who the hell cares about stuff like that anyway.
Bullshit...

As a buying customer I care... Taking someone elses HTML off their site and using it on your own business web page is plagiarism, violating a copyright.... Why would I want to deal with a company that does that...

quote:
Business is about service, and the service at fourvalve can't be beat. End of story
OK... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Stanger91

Rev Happy, you must be good friends with craig? Ive never heard such negative things about me before. Anyways, this is not corral, so it does not matter weather he is a corral advertiser or not. And me stealing craigs HTML, well, go look for yourself. My site is 100 tims nicer then his, there is no need for me to steal his HTML.

Did you not at one time have Craig's HTML on your site? Thought so... Ya its changed now because Craig himself requested that you change it... At the time I was looking on buying a SPEC Stage 2 and saw the post relating to this... Its in the archives over there, plus he saved a copy of your original page, in case you quickly changed it... I'm really not in a mood to argue back and forth... I'm done... Learn how to spell by the way...

[ December 11, 2002, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com