Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Anyone switch from 65mm to 70mm TB on 5.0?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone switch from 65mm to 70mm TB on 5.0?
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has any of you gone from an "actual" aftermarket 65mm throttle body to an aftermarket 70mm TB? The reason I stress "actual" 65mm is because alot of people think that the stock 5.0 TB is 65mm but it is really 58mm-60mm when measured at the throttle plate. I want to know if there is much of a performance difference between the two since the 65mm flows an average of 675 cfm and the 70mm flows about 710 cfm. More air more power correct?

My mods are are follows and eventually plan to supercharge in the next year or so:
-76mm mass air
-cobra intake
-U/D pulleys
-msd wires and coil
-full aftermarket exhaust

[ December 08, 2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

--------------------
"Funny how cheap ass people have money to do it right the second time, haha!"

90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will actually lose a little low end with a 70MM on a near stock 5.0 I have my dyno papers somewhere from where i went from 65 to 70 mm throttle body and lost some HP and and lost a lot on the low end torque wise between the two. BUt now that i ahve a blower its a different story. For NA applications the 65MM is the best unless your well over 400 HP

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree...bigger isnt always better.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking at ur list of mods...since u are planning to get blown...buy the 70mm with the blower and install both at the same time...70mm is too much without a blower or something...unless u have a shitload of horsepower without it...but it doesnt look like it...so best bet 70mm with blower

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Norgs:
looking at ur list of mods...since u are planning to get blown...buy the 70mm with the blower and install both at the same time...70mm is too much without a blower or something...unless u have a shitload of horsepower without it...but it doesnt look like it...so best bet 70mm with blower

exactly what he said...
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
k, thanks.

--------------------

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was running a 65mm TB on my 331 for awhile and then switched to 70mm TB.
I actually changed to the 70mm at the track between runs and it made no change at all
Ran the same mph on both runs [Roll Eyes]
But the 70mm is polished, so at least it looks better

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a funny one...I stayed with the stock 60mm throttle body, maf,stock cobra heads, and intake on my cobra. It made over 405rwhp with the stock blower pulley. Only addons were a powerpipe, RS chip, full exhaust.

The differences between a 65mmtb and 70mmtb is minimal. If you want more performance..spend it on something else. If it is chrome (Accufab?) or if you building for major power in the future, go ahead and switch it.

Good luck...

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
BATTMAN
¯
Member # 2063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BATTMAN  Ford pictures for BATTMAN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i didn't see much of a difference in the two. You may feel the difference when you get a blower. The 65mm will flow enough air for about 350-400 hp.

--------------------
3.73 gears,pro 5.0 shifter, hotchkin lca's, 4in hood,75mm MAS, 3core radiator, 1.7rr, cold air kit, 65mm tb, ported e7's, pullies, short belt, long tubes, h-pipe, dynomax exhaust, 95gt 17in rims, 275/40 in back, 245/45 in front

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

quote:
Originally posted by BATTMAN:
i didn't see much of a difference in the two. You may feel the difference when you get a blower. The 65mm will flow enough air for about 350-400 hp.

Yuss, I plan on sticking in the 400hp range. It's good to know since the 65mm TB i plan to buy off a friend is like $80 cheaper than a 70mm I saw somewhere.

--------------------

The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went from the stock 60mm to 65mm on my 94GT and didn't notice much of a difference. Just maybe a hint of quicker acceleration.

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com