Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much does a cat do on a car?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How much does a cat do on a car?
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, this guy at work the other day came out with "cats do nothing for pollution, they only have steel wool in them..."

Sounds like total [BS flag] to me but what do I know? I thought they were meant do deaden sound, burnt un-burnt fuel. I doubt I'm correct either but I'm curious

thanks

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cats are to reduce NOx emissions and unburned hydrocarbons using a platinum catalyst (that's why they are so expensive, the Pt)

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
eddiej50
¯
Member # 1169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eddiej50  Ford pictures for eddiej50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well "cats" are actually catalytic converters and they contain a material inside that reacts with unburnt fuel to keep pollutants down .This material which is a catlyst for the reaction to burn the unburnt fuel is where they get the name catalytic converter.Damn I just sounded like a really big dork right there . [Wink]

--------------------
You might be bigger than me ,but I aint afraid to run from you .

99 Gt

96Forged281
¯
Member # 2158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Forged281  Ford pictures for 96Forged281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cat whats a cat?? i see no cats on mycar hehe

--------------------
96 Stang GT Convertible Looks Stock =)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you have a chevy red neck guy at work [patriot]
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Sounds like you have a chevy red neck guy at work [patriot]

he's more of a japanese honda owning redneck if you ask me [patriot] [Razz]

--------------------
05 wrx

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know those kind of rednecks, they're still pissed about the vietnam war so they drive imports and live life bitter [patriot]
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I know those kind of rednecks, they're still pissed about the vietnam war so they drive imports and live life bitter [patriot]

Yah, its pretty funny. I'm at the point with the guy that I just like to argue with him in front of people [patriot] It really doesnt matter what topic, I always seem to have the opposite opinion.. [Big Grin]

He's got a 2000 civic si with a supercharger that he's to ashamed to give me a straight answer on his 1/4 mile time [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
05 wrx

StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You sure it's got a blower? A lot of those guys "think" they have a blower, but many do not...I have yet to see a blown, turbo'ed import on the street (one that didnt' come that way from the factory, at least).

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
You sure it's got a blower? A lot of those guys "think" they have a blower, but many do not...I have yet to see a blown, turbo'ed import on the street (one that didnt' come that way from the factory, at least).

Yeah, its on the engine.

--------------------
05 wrx

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com