Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » next step...got an opinion? post it... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: next step...got an opinion? post it...
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im thinkin bout steppin up with the gears from 3:73's to either 4:10's or 4:30's. (which one would u suggest.?) PLUS MY INTAKE ..what should i do?... should i get into the motor...try to keep suggestions cheap...LOL....im not rich. THANX ALL BRIAN

--------------------
:'98 SVT Cobra (Laser Red)(5027/5174)

R.I.P.

Posts: 431 | From: San Jose,CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
IRISH
¯
Member # 1629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for IRISH  Ford pictures for IRISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you changs gears, what would you like for you 373's?

thanks pm me!

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a friend with a 98 cobra and 4.10...he spins them through 3rd...unless ur gonna use drag radials...DONT GET 4.10! u could do a cam. that is kinda inexpensive...nitrous is always a friendly cheap horsepower

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
theguywhoknows
¯
Member # 2148

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theguywhoknows  Ford pictures for theguywhoknows  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go that low with rear-end gears, you'll pretty much lose the use of first gear. It will be like a 4x4 using "4 WD Low". Don;t get me wrong, you will have a VERY snappy launch, but you'll be grabbin' for second gear before your rear tires even get across the starting line. I'm with what the other guy said, cams, N2O, supercharger, chips, etc. would "probably" get you more bang for the buck.
www.BadAssCars.com

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
im thinkin bout steppin up with the gears from 3:73's to either 4:10's or 4:30's. (which one would u suggest.?) PLUS MY INTAKE ..what should i do?... should i get into the motor...try to keep suggestions cheap...LOL....im not rich. THANX ALL BRIAN

Do you just want to spend money on your car or do you have a goal in mind?

BTW- From the looks of that sig., I would say your loaded.

Eric

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what rpm do you hit in the traps?
adjust your gear so you are at optimum power

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get 4.30 gears and 275/40 Nitto Drag Radials out back... You can go with more tire out back because you're running 17x9 R rims, but 275/40 will get the job done just fine... If you want tires that will last a little longer and will still have good traction, just get a pair of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S... their pricey, but hook very well for a non-drag radial tire...

quote:
Originally posted by theguywhoknows

I'm with what the other guy said, cams, N2O, supercharger, chips, etc. would "probably" get you more bang for the buck.

Cams would be better bang for the buck then gears? [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [BS flag] Remember, we have four...price alone is close to $1000 not including opening up the heads to install them... The only way to see a true power gain from cams on a 4V Cobra is with ported heads and intake...that will cost some money... With 4.30s, 1st gear is still very much usable, you just need good traction to go WOT without a lot of tire spin...

Don't listen to these guys that have no clue about what works on a DOHC Cobra...

[ December 04, 2002, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10s are an easy answer to pick without having to think.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Sisky Wolf
¯
Member # 350

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sisky Wolf  Ford pictures for Sisky Wolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Highly recommend the 4.10's.I run them with 31 spline Moser axels and heavy duty Eaton posi(equal lock-metal clutch pac.) [burnout]

--------------------
515 rwhp on 91 octane/554 rwhp on 98 octane

Posts: 43 | From: Manteca,Ca. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.30's!!!!! And some nice 315's out back.
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Norgs:
i have a friend with a 98 cobra and 4.10...he spins them through 3rd...unless ur gonna use drag radials...DONT GET 4.10! u could do a cam. that is kinda inexpensive...nitrous is always a friendly cheap horsepower

CAMS??? my friend this is a DOHC motor. this means four camshafts. the cheapest cams i have found are 750 outright or 650 with a exchange. then throwing those cams into the motor??? you either gotta be damn good or have a whole lotta money left over to pay for install.
Once you pulled the heads off you would probably want to P&P them because the stock cobra cams flow pretty well already, so doing cams without porting would be an absolute waste. sorry didnt mean to jump om ya there.

I think that if you find somebody with 4.30's thats willing to swap gears youll be happy(unless your runnin on the freeway alot)
id also throw on some pulleys, which are quite cheap.

[ December 05, 2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Blown Mystic ]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aight everyone....if anyone read my sig. below u would see i have 315 NITTO 555r drag radials on the rear 17x10.5 rims. i dont have a lot of money. Most of the griggs was on the car when i bout it, so i added the k-member to finish it up. i want the car for basic comforatabilty (SP) with massive low end so i can have fun but not drive over 100mph. all the time. im thinkin bout letting go the 3:73's for $120 if i upgrade this winter sometime. YEAH CAMS R A GRIPP...bout 1200 for all 4 not including install. intake the same...bout 1000 and so is everything else LOL...this car is very expensive to maintain correctly yet alone upgrade.

--------------------
:'98 SVT Cobra (Laser Red)(5027/5174)

R.I.P.

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sisky Wolf:
Highly recommend the 4.10's.I run them with 31 spline Moser axels and heavy duty Eaton posi(equal lock-metal clutch pac.) [burnout]

Well it depends. If your gonna stay NA then id say go with the 4.30's. But if your like this guy and have shitloads of power(if your planning on getting blown) then go with the 4.10's.

whatcha got under the hood sisky? any times?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

shit i thought i was gonna be the only one that had read your sig but i read over the pully's. If you dont have a MAF you could get one of those too. another good bang for the buck is track time>

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

it was dynoed @ 287 before the longtubes...so im probly at about 300 to the wheels...after i get line lock and heat those tires...probly mid 13's

[ December 05, 2002, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: 98cobraGUY68 ]

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
it was dynoed @ 287 before the longtubes...so im probly at about 300 to the wheels...after i get line lock and heat those tires...probly mid 13's

If I read your mods correct you only had the pulleys at the time of that dyno?
Those numbers sound [BS flag] What dyno was it?
Maybe you got a factory freak [worship]

[ December 05, 2002, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Blown Mystic ]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

BLOWN MYSTIC....DO U HAVE AOL aim......?IF U DO IM ME AT REDDAWGMID13S

[ December 05, 2002, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: 98cobraGUY68 ]

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EVERYTHING ON THERE EXCEPT FOR THE LONGTUBES AT TIME OF DYNO....287 AT THE REAR WHEELS.
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

I dont have aim. I got a cell phone if you want to ask me some questions. want me to PM you the number?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

thats some sick shit. lucky fuck. ever thought of adding a torque arm and panhard bar? What about the Griggs camber caster plates and bumpsteer kit?
Do you drink reddog? its your aim. that shit is some good cheap beer.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

I HAVE THE BUMPSTER KIT...MARIN TOOK GREAT CARE OF THIS CAR...U SHOULD SEE HIS NEW ONE....THE NEXT MEET OF OUR I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET HIM OUT THERE WITH HIS 2002 Z06...SOON TO HAVE CAMS...HE JUS GOT THE 2K$ EXHAUST SET-UP.....NOT SURE OF ALL THE DETAILS.
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

I WANT TO GET IT DYNOED AGIAN SOON....
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

I finally get my bitch tuned/dynoed on the 14th

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

I USED TO HAVE A LITTLE '92 LASER RS AWD TURBO AND WHEN WE RACED IN MILPITAS THAT WAS MY NAME ON THE RADIOS...LOL....ALONG WITH MY BOYS...SILVERSEXMACHINE/WHITE LIGHTNING/AND BLUE THUNDER.....AN INTEGRA/5.O STANG RAGTOP/5.0 STANG
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

I NEED A TUNING...ITS IN NEED FOR ONE

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com