Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » which long tubes and how much? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: which long tubes and how much?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im thinkin about buying long tubes for my 97 gt and i was wondering what other people r running and what they suggest.i heard hooker just came out with a pair or i was thinking about bbk.i also need some prices.if someone can hook me up with some info on this it would be appricated. [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard BBk is great. MAC is garbage. But I heard the best choice is the Hooker. They have a removable piece so you can change your clutch without taking off the header. seems practickel to me [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BBK's- a little over 500 they come coated 2.5" collectors
Hooker- 5 something uncoated and 6 something coated? not quite sure 3" collectors. If you are shooting for over 500rwhp id go with the hookers.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well im shooting for 325- 350 rwhp but on the juice is a different story,so i dont know what to get.those hookers sound nice though,so i dont have to lift the motor when i do a clutch.

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Griggs Racing uses BBKs for most applications. I have had very good luck with quality control and fitment. On rare occasions, some minor clearance issues arrise, it's never more than a tap or two with a hammer. I deal with Brother's Performance, on BBK, they are very competitively priced with Jegs and Summit.

www.brothersperformance.com

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I KNOW A LOT ON THIS ISSUE....I INSTALLED THE GRIGGS TUBUALAR K-MEMBER AND BBK LONGTUBES ON MY CAR AND I IS A ROYAL BITCH!......NO NICE WAY OF PUTTING IT...AND THE LONGTUBES BARELY FIT....IT SHOULD BE EASYIER ON URS SO ID SO GET THEM.....NOTHING WOULD BE HARDER THEN WHAT WE DID......LOL.....I would also say ......change the clutch while ur at it....i have the centerforce dual friction racing clutch and is tight...but not to tight for everyday driving....i could show u my set-up if u'd like sometime....but BBK is quality and is something not many people have cuz they dont take the time to do it. im in san jose..LMK Hope i could help.

--------------------
:'98 SVT Cobra (Laser Red)(5027/5174)

R.I.P.

Posts: 431 | From: San Jose,CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
[QB]I KNOW A LOT ON THIS ISSUE....I INSTALLED THE GRIGGS TUBUALAR K-MEMBER AND BBK LONGTUBES ON MY CAR AND I IS A ROYAL BITCH!......NO NICE WAY OF PUTTING IT...AND THE LONGTUBES BARELY FIT....IT SHOULD BE EASYIER ON URS SO ID SO GET THEM.....NOTHING WOULD BE HARDER THEN WHAT WE DID[QB]

What clearance issues did you have? Were they with the suspension, or underbody related? I have put a few sets of BBK LTs on Cobras without much hassle.

--------------------

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
I KNOW A LOT ON THIS ISSUE....I INSTALLED THE GRIGGS TUBUALAR K-MEMBER AND BBK LONGTUBES ON MY CAR AND I IS A ROYAL BITCH!......NO NICE WAY OF PUTTING IT...AND THE LONGTUBES BARELY FIT....IT SHOULD BE EASYIER ON URS SO ID SO GET THEM.....NOTHING WOULD BE HARDER THEN WHAT WE DID......LOL.....I would also say ......change the clutch while ur at it....i have the centerforce dual friction racing clutch and is tight...but not to tight for everyday driving....i could show u my set-up if u'd like sometime....but BBK is quality and is something not many people have cuz they dont take the time to do it. im in san jose..LMK Hope i could help.

Man, that sounds like a lot of work. I hope you got some help.

Eric

P.S. I still have your jack and stands at my house.

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What clearance issues did you have? Were they with the suspension, or underbody related? I have put a few sets of BBK LTs on Cobras without much hassle.

Cosmo,

Did you reinstall the thermactor pump fitting on the cars you did? That was the biggest pain in the ass. The tube that connects to the header did not come anywhere close to lining up with the fitting on the LT headers. We had to have it custome fabricated to get it to work. It is stainless steel tubing and that required special tools.
As far as the clearance issue. If I remeber correctly, the clearance was pretty tight between the passenger side header and the Griggs K-member, right where the K-member bolts to the body.

Eric

P.S. And don't even try to use the BBK supplied bolts for mounting the headers. All they'll do is strip the threads out of the heads. Doh!

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Maybe it just doesn't seem hard for me because I am standing upright with the car on a lift. I just put a set on somebody's 98 Cobra, but I was also installing the engine at the same time. Everything was assembled on a cart, k member and all, then the car was lowered down. The header is always close on the passenger side, whether it has our K in it or a stock one.

[ December 04, 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: racercosmo ]

--------------------

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Cosmo,

How do you handle the thermactor pump fitting?

Eric

Sisky Wolf
¯
Member # 350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sisky Wolf  Ford pictures for Sisky Wolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had Mac long tube headers for over a year..no problems..gearing up for over 600 rwhp and plan on keeping the Mac's. [Wink]

--------------------
515 rwhp on 91 octane/554 rwhp on 98 octane

Posts: 43 | From: Manteca,Ca. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

everything will be new when i install the headers because i will be installing the new motor when i do it.
how much of a bitch was it to install that tubular k member im thinking about doing it while the motor is out but its just other thing i would have to spend money on [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The BBK's are not that bad. I had to install mine twice because the BBK gaskets sucked so bad I had 2 horrible leaks. Go with some Bassani gaskets. I re used the stock header nuts and they worked fine. If you're putting them on out of the car it shouldt be that hard but otherwise i'd plan on it being a day job at least. The thermo tube youre talking about doesnt take special tools if its what Im thinking. You just loosen the mount where the thermostat is and the screw the tube onto the header and tighten the fixture back down. Haven't had a problem yet.

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THE PASSENGER SIDE CLEARENCE IS NEARLY NONE...THE K-MEMBER WASNT THAT DIFFICULT COMPARED TO THE LONGTUBES...WHEN I TAKE CORNERS HARD AND THE BODY FLEXES I CAN HEAR THE RUBBING FROM THE LT'S AND THE K-MEMBER ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. CAREFULL WHEN REPLACEING THE MIL ELIMINATORS...MINE GOT BUSTED WHEN I REPLACED THE EXHAUST. ITS A TIGHT ASS FIT...DEFINATELY GO WITH THE ORIGINAL HEADER BOLTS AND AS FAR THE GASKETS...I TOSSED THE BBK SUPPLIED GASKET AND WENT TO FORD AND PURCHASED A NEW FACTORY SET. I COULDNT FIND ANY AFTERMARKET GASKETS FOR THE COBRA AND THE GT'S ARE DIFFRENT SO THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. THANX AGIAN ERIC FOR ALL THE HELP WITH THE INSTALL A FEW MONTHS AGO.....TO EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE....HES THE ONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS....LOL....EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT A FUN JOB...ITS WELL WORTH IT WHEN UR DONE WITH IT.
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK...GT'S ARENT THAT BAD...SO GET THE BBK'S...AND THE BASSANI GASKETS (like 50$) IVE HEARD MANY GOOD THINGS BOUT THOSE GASKETS.
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone tried SHM longtubes, double ceramic coated inside and out...only 1400 bux for my 98 cobra...

only!
lol!

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rob:
anyone tried SHM longtubes, double ceramic coated inside and out...only 1400 bux for my 98 cobra...

only!
lol!

rob you are nuts. What do you need "double ceramic coated inside and out" for? That sounds like if Jiffy Lube charged you 20 to oil your dipstick to get a correct reading [Razz]
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rob

anyone tried SHM longtubes, double ceramic coated inside and out...

Youl Luz has them on his cobra...to bad we'll never see what that bad boy dynos at... [BS flag] Those are some pimp ass headers though [worship] The SHM LTs are basically custom made race headers... The fit and finish is top notch, much like the Griggs' LTs that are also around a grand... Unless you're putting out a lot of power, 3" collectors are an overkill...

Once you get past the fitment and quality issues of the BBKs, they do put out some good power. Kooks just came out with a set of LTs that looks very nice and the headers come with each primary tube separated from the collector...which means you don't have to raise the engine, drop the K-member or remove the starter... [worship] The Kooks are supposedly like $800, but there was a group purchase a couple months ago selling them for $550... Damn, I wish I had the money... [BS flag] [Mad]

[ December 06, 2002, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy:
[QUOTE] Originally posted by rob

Kooks just came out with a set of LTs that looks very nice and the headers come with each primary tube separated from the collector...which means you don't have to raise the engine, drop the K-member or remove the starter... [worship] The Kooks are supposedly like $800, but there was a group purchase a couple weeks ago selling them for $550... Damn, I wish I had the money... [BS flag] [Mad]

where was that group purchase? what sites besides corral.net hold GP's?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was on that new SVTperformance.com website... I found out about it through the corral though... JDM was the comany doing the Group purchase...

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the ceramic coating on the inside keeps the heat in better than just an outer coating. also the hot exhaust gases may tend to degrade steel tubing from the inside, especially under high boost conditions...

that seems to be the theory, anyway...

they are on my list for next year
[Big Grin]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

so i should go with the bbk's or the hooker's?
where could i find the hookers at and for how much? [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

[Big Grin] anyone know prices?????

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

SHM carries the hookers.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com