Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ever had an ignition coil go bad?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ever had an ignition coil go bad?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have any of you guys ever had an ignition coil go bad? If so, what were the symptoms? I'm trying to trace a slight slow mis above 3,000 RPM and two-thirds or more throttle.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only one, An Accel Super coil. I still have my stock coil if you need it. No charge. You did replace ALL your wires and plugs, right?
[Razz]

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, in the past month I've replaced

plugs
wires
cap/rotor
air filter
alternator
battery
ignition switch
tried a new MAF electronics
cleaned 10 pin connectors
cleaned EEC's connectors

If its the plugs, I would have had to cracked the ceramic while installing it, but I highly doubt that happened.

The mis is a slight "fart" through the exhaust... probably very hard for a passenger in the car to notice. I can tell it effects power and makes the engine slower revving up top. It "farts" about every other second while revving through the powerband. I don't have time left on my vacation to replace the plugs or do a compression check. I have a new fuel filter here, but I doubt its my problem so I don't think I'll install it.

On the flip side, as a result of this tuneup, my car idles and drives like a Lincoln under light low and/or below 3,000ish RPM.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well,
If it idles that smoothly maybe it is fuel delivary at higher rpms. The fuel filter is pretty easy to change...

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Yeah, I'm sick so even the thought of smelling raw gasoline makes me want to puke. Usually I've noticed fuel delivery problems "pop" through the intake and ignition problems "pop" through the exhaust. I've had an extremely clogged fuel filter&pump before and after 3,000 RPM the motor would rev extremely slow due to the lack of fuel, yet it would still rev smooth. In the 99,000+ miles I've driven my 5.O, I've installed fuel pumps 4, maybe 5 times. The only item I've installed more often is a Pep Boys oil pressure sending unit...easily half a dozen of those thanks to warrenty.
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i still think it is the fuel filter, but that is my opinion, how about dirty o2 sensor or some clogged exhaust?

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Okay, you guys talked me into it, I'm installing the new fuel filter tomorrow, but I doubt its my problem.

As for O2 sensors... it does this at wide open throttle where the O2 sensors aren't read by the computer so they can't be at fault.

As for clogged exhaust... its free-flowing and clog-free [burnout]

If I blew a header gasket, I would be able to hear it no matter what right?

[ November 30, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there any way you can check fuel pressure while driving. To see if you are losing pressure under high load???. I have seen it before. As far as ford coils going at high miles YES.

[ November 30, 2002, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well its not the fuel filter [Frown] I'm running a different brand rotor than I am the cap so I'm about to go get a matching brand rotor...but I doubt this is my problem. $17 for an AutoZone coil... I'm about to go get one and return it if it doesn't fix my problem.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well that completes my AutoZone ignition setup.... got the rotor and coil. At first I was happy my problem was fixed... then I drove it some more and bumped up the timing to 12 degrees and filled her up with 91 octane. The problem is still there, but not nearly as bad. If I have time tomorrow or the day after, I'll take out my new plugs and check their resistances and look for cracks in the ceramic. If the plugs turn out fine... its time to stick in a new distributor and TFI. I should probably do a compression check when the plugs are out as well.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my coil glowed red thats how i knew it was bad.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I am still having the exact same problem with my car Sawson and havent been able to find the problem.

I am throwing new plugs in my car by the end of this week. I doubt that the cap/rotor was your problem as well as the coil, I say that because I have an aftermarket blaster coil that I have on my car and its brand new, a couple thousand miles are on it and my car acts the same as yours, so I think it is something else.

I might try to throw my stock one on there to see if maybe the MSD coil went out well see. First I need to get my car started again, have to replace the starter.

[ December 23, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
UPDATE:

Took out the plugs and did a compression check. Motor was ice cold. I didn't feel like messing around with a hot engine this afternoon. Numbers in the order tested:

Cyl#5: 150psi
Cyl#6: 149psi
Cyl#3: 143psi (there was some bleed down, I didn't feel like tightening the connector)
Cyl#1: 145psi
Cyl#4: 155psi
Cyl#2: 144psi
Cyl#8: 155psi
Cyl#7: 149psi

Great compression numbers for a 230,000+ mile motor... but I'm sure the leak down numbers tell a different story. I compared these numbers to ones from 30,000 miles ago and their identical for the most part.

I pulled all the plugs... no cracks and the internal resistances of all of them were ~4K Ohms. I stuck everything back together and took her for a spin... no problem what so ever. Lets hope it stays that way. It was pulling very hard throughout the power band. In fact, if I had to guess... I'd say it's pulling harder from 60 to 100 mph than Pinole's finest teal '93 Cobra [Big Grin] [worship] [burnout] [dance]

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey st5150,

I ran into a situation like this with a couple of my buddies cars. It was never a coil thing (bad coil wire to the distributer and a loose connection at the coil), but never a coil itself. One thing you might to think about (your probably figured this out already), but there are some aftermarket caps/rotors which are simply not good. The variances in the molds they manufacture these parts are slack. Since there seems to be some improvement with the new autozone rotor/cap..try a motorcraft one to see if it even helps more (plus you will have extra the autozone spare if you really have to use it).

Other than that check the distributer....this will cost the most...so hopefully it is not that.

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had a coil's go bad, It can happen. After you check all the other things with a meter, you check the coil.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Finally! I got my car running again and after I did that I installed all of new plugs. Guess what, no more backfiring/miss firing in the xhaust! I'm so happy my car has never felt better. [patriot] I'm so happy.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com