Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help - replaced fuel pump and pump still doesn't come on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help - replaced fuel pump and pump still doesn't come on
5150Z28
¯
Member # 232

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5150Z28  Ford pictures for 5150Z28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cousin just replaced the fuel pump on his 87 GT and when turning the key the fuel pump does not come on (no humming sound whatsoever). I know that my Z28's fuel pump makes that sound and I'm sure the GT's pump should also. The car doesn't start at all. I asked how much fuel he had in the tank and he said about 1.5 gallons (which I think is plenty). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
2007 Silver Toyota Tacoma DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
1998 Camaro Z28 - SOLD

Posts: 100 | From: Hilmar, Ca | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
eddiej50
¯
Member # 1169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eddiej50  Ford pictures for eddiej50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the wire to the fuel pump with the key on and see if he is getting current to the pump .also check the igniton switch and make sure it is working this can also cause fule pump to not turn on .hope this helps .

--------------------
You might be bigger than me ,but I aint afraid to run from you .

99 Gt

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you give some more info? I think the fuel pump is in the tank> no? So...he had to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump right? Check the plug that supplies the fuel pump with electricity right behind the tank> it is right below the R.bumper reinforcement. There is a wire harness connector there> you can grab a test light and check for power there> if that has power> then it could be that the pump is not wired up properly> or if it does not have power> it could be that a fuse has blown.

Please reply back on this topic to let us know the status of the trouble shooting.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

eddiej50
¯
Member # 1169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eddiej50  Ford pictures for eddiej50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got it exactly ,it sounds like the pump is still not getting juice .Even if it is you will only hear it kick on for few seconds then kick off if car is not immediately started .But anyways back to original question just check the plug that is connected to the in tank pump for current with key in on position if there is np current then you have a blown fuse or a short some where .

--------------------
You might be bigger than me ,but I aint afraid to run from you .

99 Gt

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My guess is that the pump was never bad in the first place. There is a relay for the fuel pump under the drivers seat. I would check that out cause I know that they go bad. Like everyone else said check the pump plug for power. I would say you have a bad relay. Oh yeah here's a no brainer make sure the inertia switch is not tripped. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Sillyneck
¯
Member # 449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sillyneck  Ford pictures for Sillyneck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I second the relay thing too. my relay started getting affected on right hand turns, then the motor would run again if I cut left [Big Grin]

Check the relay w/ a hammer. tap it w/ the hammer (don't hurt the connector tho) It should work again for a bit.

replace your ignition relay while you're at it too, they tend to go around the same time.

--------------------
87 wrangler 5.0 HO, t-18, 4:1 dana 300, 60, 14 bolt 40" boggers.
86 chevy K30R big block rotary motor with all them pistons and turbo actuators, fuel injected brakes lines, chromed out triple gold twice pipes and a pony keg gas tank
97 KTM 360 mx/c street legal ;)

z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Phil, What are you doing on this board??? This is Rockhog from POR!

--------------------
03 Yukon 6" RCD/welds/MTR's
69 Camaro
72 Commando/500 caddy/39.5 Boggers
96 Dodge Cummins/2" Procomp/35's

Posts: 414 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: May 2002  |  :
5150Z28
¯
Member # 232

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5150Z28  Ford pictures for 5150Z28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The thing is I wasn't there when they hooked up the new fuel pump but I'm sure my cousin and my uncle hooked it up correctly. They replaced the relay under the drivers seat also. Does anyone have a diagram of how everything is connected to make the pump work? I used a multi-meter to see if power was good to the relay under the seat and it was fine. I should've dropped the tank while I was there to see if they did install it correctly. Keep coming with the ideas fellas. My cousing is getting antsy because he hasn't driven his stang for 3 weeks.
Posts: 100 | From: Hilmar, Ca | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys...im having the same problem too..where is the inertia switch located...I have had people tell me its under the driver's side seat too next to the relay?!

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks everyone for helping me out with some ideas to why my stang's fuel pump won't work. I am going to put your ideas into action and then i will post again letting everyone know how it went. Once again thanks.
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Sillyneck
¯
Member # 449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sillyneck  Ford pictures for Sillyneck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50cobra:
Hey guys...im having the same problem too..where is the inertia switch located...I have had people tell me its under the driver's side seat too next to the relay?!

I found it in my '87 in the trunk I believe. but if you look at the car...you can't tell where it started and where it ended after I was done

www.jeepsides.homestead.com/302.html

--------------------
87 wrangler 5.0 HO, t-18, 4:1 dana 300, 60, 14 bolt 40" boggers.
86 chevy K30R big block rotary motor with all them pistons and turbo actuators, fuel injected brakes lines, chromed out triple gold twice pipes and a pony keg gas tank
97 KTM 360 mx/c street legal ;)

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sillyneck:
quote:
Originally posted by the50cobra:

I found it in my '87 in the trunk I believe. but if you look at the car...you can't tell where it started and where it ended after I was done

www.jeepsides.homestead.com/302.html

[Big Grin] Thanks !!

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com