Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can you remove your rear seat & still put a childs seat there?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you remove your rear seat & still put a childs seat there?
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, I've gotta 95 Vert, and I wanna take out the rear seat. My question is: Can I take out the seat, and put a kids car seat back there, if I leave the belts??? Thanks,
Chris

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
youd probably have to fab something up to mount it. I wouldnt compromise my childs safety however.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sounds like a situation I wouldn't even want to hear about
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont see why not... if anything, it'd be safer. there is a huge dip without the seat and that'll hold the childseat in better. as long as there's some kind of backing behind the child seat. the seat is just cushioning

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sweet. Thats what I thought. Now, anyone know how to remove the rear seat? I can't see any screws or bolts or anything on these damn things! Haha.
-Chris

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you lift up the front there is a plastic tab under the center of each side. pust in the front of the tab to release and pull the seat up.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
if anything, it'd be safer.

[BS flag]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Ruben
¯
Member # 1088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruben  Ford pictures for Ruben  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you need a family car! Why take the backseat out with a child in the car?

--------------------
"If you can't intrigue them with brilliance,baffle them with bullshit"(TB)

http://www.cafords.com/images/shows/11_17_02/DSC01336.JPG
The Red One

Posts: 113 | From: Concord, Ca | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Well this is what I'm trying to figure out, but I've got mixed feelings, and I get mixed answers. All the seat does, is provide cushioning for who or what ever is sitting on it. If the belts remain intact, and the padding is removed, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put a kids seat back there. As far as needing a family car, I don't have him in the car often enough, and my exwife has the family car. No, I'm not gonna just do it, and see how it works, because I'm not gonna put my son in any danger, because I want to do a mod on my car, that I can wait 2 years to do, and he can be in the front seat at a legal age. I'm simply asking your opinions to the original questions. Cool? Thanks guys/girls.
-Chris

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

When the seat is in the belts are made to hold something/someone in at a specific angle/height. Removing the seat lowers that angle/height to a level that was never meant to be.

Just my opinion

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude just get a chiltons manual and make your life easier it has step by step instructions of removal and instalation.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Dude just get a chiltons manual and make your life easier it has step by step instructions of removal and instalation.

I don't think they tell you if its ok to put a child in the back with no seat.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:
quote:

Haha, yeah, totally! Hidnn.o.s., Thats what I was thinkin too, but then, we also modify our cars to do different things than originally ment also... So thats why I'm questioning it. I don't think I'm gonna do it any time soon tho. Thanks for all the input tho!
-Chris

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no way the manufacturer of *any* child safety seat would support an installation with the back seat removed.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Contact 1-800-dumb-ass, you may have just won a prize for the stupidist post in the category of automobiles.

You're more concerned about saving 10lbs, than your childs life? My suggestion...get a good job, or two, buy a car that is your TOY, and buy another that is for your family, that has ALL the seats intact.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:
quote:

If you read it all he later asks how to remove the seats.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the plastic seats are meant to be mounted on a cushioned surface. if you mount it to steel tubing as exists below the seats, there will be no 'give', and in the event of an accident the seat would shatter from the forces. the height would also be about 8" too low for the seatbelts to control properly

don't mess with a child's life.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

quote:
Originally posted by 67stang:
Contact 1-800-dumb-ass, you may have just won a prize for the stupidist post in the category of automobiles.

You're more concerned about saving 10lbs, than your childs life? My suggestion...get a good job, or two, buy a car that is your TOY, and buy another that is for your family, that has ALL the seats intact.

Boy your a funny guy aren't you? How do you know I don't have 8 jobs? Why don't you read all the posts before you run your mouth, cuz I don't ONCE remember this being a weight issue, and I also seem to recall saying I wasn't planning on doing this anytime soon, Or even saying I was gonna do it!!! But you probably won't read all this anyway. Haha. [BS flag]
-Chris

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

This should be the last post here. I asked a question... Could you do it... The thought had crossed my mind. Never did I say I was gonna do it, or that I had even planned on it. All of a sudden I've got everyone actin like I treat my son like a life size G.I. Joe. You can say what ever you want about me, but you don't have the right to put down my parenting skills. Thanks for everyone who gave useful information, or who simply meant well. I do appriciate it.
-Chris

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com