Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » autometer trans temp gauge.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: autometer trans temp gauge.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone here ever install a trans temp gauge in their AOD? if so got any tips for installing the sensor in the pan? does it require welding?
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have not installed one yet, but i asked Lentech the same questions. Thay said that for the best accuracy, use a mechanical gauge that taps into the pan, however this will add complications when changing your filter.
You could also install an electric one, just screw it into the test-ports on the tranny's case. This is less accurate, but easier. He also mentioned NOT to install the temp sensor in-line or near the cooler, this will lead to an artificially high ro low reading.

Hope this helps!!

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i was planning on buying the electrical one cause its ok if its not 100% accurate i just want it to be close. where are the test ports on a AOD transmission?
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could pull pan and have a fitting welded in it. Welding the fitting in takes like 5 min its really easy. [patriot]

--------------------
99 F-250 4X4
7.3 Turbo Diesel
Superchips programmer
8" Skyjacker Suspension lift
38" Thornbirds
Yeah its true I do drive where ever the hell i want on the road, Damn was that light red?

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

well i dont have a torch to weld it in. i could take it to the tranny shop but if installing it in one of the service ports is easier id rather do that. but where is the service port, i cant find anything in my manual.
Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you're using an autometer mechanical gauge, just drill a hole and tap it with a 1/2 NPT tap and then screw the fitting into the pan.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

i am going to be using an electrical gauge. i was told in an earlier post than i can put the sensor from the electrical gauge into the AOD's service port so i wouldnt have to do any drilling. i was just wondering if someone could describe to me where the service port is?
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to the left of the flux capacitor [Wink]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com