Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How do -you- launch on slicks?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do -you- launch on slicks?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best I've gotten was a high 1.8 with 4.10's on my 28x9 ET Drags. This is with a SPEC Stage 3 clutch on my 90 (5 speed). I've tried dumping it at 5000 and slipping it fast from 5000. Air pressure ranged from 12.5 to 14 psi throughout the day. Am I using the wrong technique or do I just need more practice time at the track? Any suggestions?

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought you were just supposed to rev up to like 5-6k, dump the clutch, and prey nothing breaks.

I dunno never ran slicks yet.

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you dump it at 5 are you spinning or hooking?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta launch like an animal. No fear of breaking loose the tires. Much like how rookie racers tend to launch [Smile] I assume you're getting these 1.8's with a good bog on launch?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know, I actually don't remember if it was bogging or not. I was just kinda driving that day, but mt head wasn't all the way there. You think that despite the gears, I still don't have enough power to get a quicker 60 ft.? Or is a 1.7 or so there, but I just can't find it yet? I do know that on at least one of the launches I pulled the tire off the ground a couple inches for a short bit (it was the only run taped at that angle). I want to try to get the skills worked out before I start going faster, so that I can make the most of what I have.

--------------------
Brian

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My limited experince on ET Streets is to dump the clutch and stomp the gas. That was good for some mid 1.7s, Drew was able to cut low 1.7s though in my car.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Dump it, then stomp it? Or do both at the same time?

--------------------
Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bob Cosby was getting 1.5's with the same power and less effective gearing than you! You've been brain washed with drag radials too much.... TRY to get the slicks to spin. It'll feel like you just got rear ended, but it'll be a good feeling [Smile]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know myself. A *lot* has to do with the clutch. I'm still not 60' as well as I did on a stock clutch and a mostly stock HO motor.

spec clutches seem less forgiving then a stock clutch, my observation. Easier to hit the tires hard enough to spin, and at the same time less inclined to slip.

practice I guess!

my best 60' on the spec clutch was a 4k launch minor clutch slip, held gas to about 2/3, and then romped on it about 10' out.
I'm sure there's better ways.
Tried the launching at 5k and just trying to hang on but even at 10 PSI exactly and a monster burnout I just spun.

If Bob Cosby were to offer a class on launching I would sign up. [worship] that or Drew [patriot]
(or maybe I just need 4.10s?)

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Thanks everyone...looks like I'll just have to do more practicing at the track to make it happen.

--------------------
Brian

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask drew (the drag launch god) [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The way I do it is hold the RPM's up between 4500-5500 depending on the track conditions, stab the gas to the floor while dumping the clutch at the same time

Good for high 1.6's to low 1.7's on motor and high 1.5's on the bottle

If you have the stock axles, make sure you bring your AAA card [Big Grin]

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO!!!!!
who steals a rpm extender? LOL [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman1994:
LMFAO!!!!!
who steals a rpm extender? LOL [worship]

That's an EXCELLENT question
4 cars in the parking lot @ work got broken into that morning, they stole one guys lunch from his truck, some CDs out of another car and a cell phone from the other.
Funny thing is, they took my RPM Extender out of my glove box, but left the cable [Confused]
Guess they thought it was stereo equipment, Morons !!!

Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Pro50Eric
¯
Member # 2065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pro50Eric  Ford pictures for Pro50Eric  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just hold it between 5000-5500 and nail the throttle and dump the clutch and hold on for dear life. With the motor in my sig and my old 89 GT Pro 5.0 car I launched it at 7800 and shifted at 9600. It was fun [patriot]

--------------------
Recently Acquired!! 68 Camaro Outlaw 10.5

yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for dump then stomp.

I dump around 4000-4500 RPM.

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How to get a good 60ft:

1. Build a torquey 331
2. Rpms to 3500
3. Dump the cluch
4. Smile as the 1.59 shows up on the board [Big Grin]

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy some VHT. Are you getting them wet before you buen them? Make sure you do a second gear burn out, those bitches need to get HOT [Big Grin]
Try launching around 4K
5,000 drop is not needed.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Buy some VHT. Are you getting them wet before you buen them? Make sure you do a second gear burn out, those bitches need to get HOT [Big Grin]
Try launching around 4K
5,000 drop is not needed.

Yeah, I do a little spin in the water box to get the full tire wet then I burn them down in second gear. I actually think that I'm doing too long of a burnout. I'll experiment with launch RPM's next time I go.

Chirag: I'm planning on doing that sometime in the future [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Brian

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com