Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » afr 165's...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: afr 165's...
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do these come fully ported, or somewhat? Also, if im changing the heads would i need to change anything else other than say a 65mm tb. i already have 1.7 rockers sitting in my room so i think the afr's would be a addition to my engine. i wont have a problem with the stock intake, correct?

-scott

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.airflowresearch.com/

Fully CNC ported. Why? The stock intake will choke them so badly you won't see much improvement...

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok well does anyone have experience with afr's as to which intake would be the best combo out of them? BTW im not changing the cam yet, it would just be the heads/intake...
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PeNiNsula302:
Ok well does anyone have experience with afr's as to which intake would be the best combo out of them? BTW im not changing the cam yet, it would just be the heads/intake...

Performer RPM would be my intake of choice [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why dont u just change the cam too while your at it.i would suggest the edelbrock performer intake,a cam, and those 165's.
but thats just my 2 cents!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

i probably wont have the money for a cam let alone the intake. I would just say ill keep savin and get all three but i just dont see it happen as soon as the heads/intake
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also, stud rockers tend to be preferred over pedestal, but you might consider trying to pick up a set of used pedestal AFR's (or trick flow for that matter) 'cause they tend to be a little less desirable than the stud heads. That is of course if you're rockers are pedestal.
ok enough rambling. Here come the flames about how pedestal heads are the best thing every and Henry Ford ran 12,000 rpm on pedestal heads every morning on his way to work...

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:

ok enough rambling. Here come the flames about how pedestal heads are the best thing every and Henry Ford ran 12,000 rpm on pedestal heads every morning on his way to work...

LMAO!!!! [Razz] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pedestals rule!
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would just either save for all 3 peices, or buy the heads/tb or heads/intake. then just stock pile them in your room untill you have everything else. i mean, if your gonna take the heads off, you not too far from having the cam done also.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by flatacid:
i would just either save for all 3 peices, or buy the heads/tb or heads/intake. then just stock pile them in your room untill you have everything else. i mean, if your gonna take the heads off, you not too far from having the cam done also.

Yeah, thats always been my plan.....but damn i just want more speed soon [Mad] . I mean the h/c/i combo would just be an even bigger bill, considering i would have to be pullin some money out of my ass for the heads and the intake only. I guess i can wait though, but for now i have to finalize the cam. So if i were to get the AFR 165's, performer RPM intake, what cam would you recommend? I have always heard good things about custom ground cams to get the most horsepower, specifically a place called hitek motorsports. Is this the way to go, or should i just get an off the shelf crane?

[ November 15, 2002, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go custom grind if you have the $$$ and want max power/driveability for that given power output. If you get an off shelf cam because you're on an extremely tight budget, I can help tell you where it should best be installed. Have it degreed and don't rely on "dot to dot". Just let me know when your gonna do it.

[ November 16, 2002, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: AaronC ]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com