Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help ASAP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help ASAP
fastfords
¯
Member # 1020

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastfords  Ford pictures for fastfords    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im attemting to replace the lower ball joints on my 96 GT, they will not pop at all. we have the ball joint seperator, and a 12lb sledge, the ball joint just wont budge, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove those ball joints.
Posts: 50 | From: milpitas/roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use a torch and heat the taper...( the top of the ball joint) works every time... and if that dosen't work I suggest a 50 ton porta power careful not to turn it into a pretzel. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ November 13, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: 99Red250 ]

--------------------
99 F-250 4X4
7.3 Turbo Diesel
Superchips programmer
8" Skyjacker Suspension lift
38" Thornbirds
Yeah its true I do drive where ever the hell i want on the road, Damn was that light red?

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
fastfords
¯
Member # 1020

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastfords  Ford pictures for fastfords    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
still need some help. Is the only way to get the sleve the ball joint sits in ,with a press?
Posts: 50 | From: milpitas/roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can use a press yes (but its not very safe for you or the car)
But if you have a torch Carefully heat around it and as the metal expands you should be able to get it free(the ball joint)
Also smack it with the hammer and the spreader when its hot it will pop loose

[ November 13, 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: 99Red250 ]

--------------------
99 F-250 4X4
7.3 Turbo Diesel
Superchips programmer
8" Skyjacker Suspension lift
38" Thornbirds
Yeah its true I do drive where ever the hell i want on the road, Damn was that light red?

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com