Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3.73s, a mistake or good decision?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3.73s, a mistake or good decision?
Corolla S man
¯
Member # 1650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corolla S man  Ford pictures for Corolla S man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You all are confusing me! I just dropped my 99 GT off at the shop to get 3.73s installed....I read about the same amount of posts saying that 3.73s are no different than stock as I heard that 3.73s really woke up the car.... I hope I didn't make the mistake of getting 3.73s.. I am on the freeway a little, and next year I will be commuting about 20 miles on the freeway each way to college...so I was scared to get 4.10s...I figured I should notice some difference with 3.73s over the stock 3.27s...I'll be happy if my RPM gauge doesn't drop below 2k when I shift, so I will be in the powerband instantly....if I could take a stock 99+ GT by 1 or 2 car lengths with the 3.73s, I'll be satisfied...or when I go to the track tonight, maybe pull a 13.9 instead of my last 14.2 stock.
Posts: 85 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it were me, I'd be putting 4.10s in a modular stang at a minumum. but you should be happy with the 3.73s nonetheless. [patriot]
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone who says that 3.73's are no different then stock is full of [BS flag] You should be happy with your decision. But like shade tre said, 4.10's aren't bad on a mod motor'ed car.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will be happy with your 3.73's, dont second guess yourself. Just think you now have decent gears for forced induction and thats exactly what mod motors need to go fast.

--------------------
Support our troops!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73's are perfect for 2 valves. They dont rev like 4v Cobra's,where 4.10's are better. Dont forget to buy a speedo calibration box so you dont put too many miles on your car!good luck on your 13.90's
Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mike22ca
¯
Member # 1675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike22ca  Ford pictures for mike22ca    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73 is an excellent choice for your car....you should really get a t-lock to while your at it. It'd save you money if you did then both at the same time. I have a v6 and I have 4.10's, and they are cool too.

Mike

Posts: 303 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Shortee
¯
Member # 1926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shortee  Ford pictures for Shortee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gt's come stock w/ traction lock.

[ November 13, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Shortee ]

--------------------
~* Heather *~

"Chaos, panic, disorder.... my work here is done!"

Posts: 285 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anything is better then the weak shit that came from the factory [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will notice a night & day difference with 373.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well? you tell us

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

FireWhore
¯
Member # 781

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireWhore  Ford pictures for FireWhore  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3:73s are the best mod out there! other than forced induction or nos [Wink]

--------------------
Mods: SLP Cold Air, 85MM Maf, 1LE Inatke Elbow, Custom Muffler, OBD1 CPU
AIM: FireChickenLS1

Posts: 1310 | From: Livermore,CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about for 5.0 foxes? Is there a difference between putting 3.73's or 4.10's on a 5.0 vs. a 4.6, or does the engine size even matter? It seems like 4.10s are popular with the new stangs, but everyone with 5.0's has 3.73's....?
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think 4:10's with 5.0's just tend to suck on the gas more than th 4.6's at freeway speeds. and also the powerband on the modular motors just needs a greater ratio to really get movin..although im not sure on that, but i do know this much though, my 3:73's kick ass to me [Smile]
Corolla S man
¯
Member # 1650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corolla S man  Ford pictures for Corolla S man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, after getting the gears installed yesterday... I went to the track that night and had no idea how to launch my car with the gears.. I started out with a 16.1 run, then a 15.1 run, then my last run was a 14.2 @ 99 which is the same time I got without the 3.73s... So, I guess I need to get more familiar with my gears and go out again once I know how to launch better. It was very difficult to get traction even with my NT555s. Well, more updates later on.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Midnight 5.0- Mod motors bog alot so they need more gear to get there cars in there power band so they can get down the track. Five liter motors have alot more torque so they dont need as much gear to get them going. Thats how I ahve always thought about it.

99GT- You raced on them that night [Eek!] ? Damn how many miles did you put on them before you did that and how many heat cycles of heat up and cool down did you do?
Anyways you are just going to have to practice on your times man, it just takes practice you have a high 13 sec car there. Good luck!

--------------------
Support our troops!

Corolla S man
¯
Member # 1650

I put about 50 miles on them before I raced... I did 2 trial runs with about 30 minutes inbetween each run and one actual race that was about 45 minutes inbetween the last run. Do you think I messed up my gears by doing this?? I didn't dump the clutch at all and my time was only a 14.2 so I doubt I really pushed them that hard or I would have a better time.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

You should be fine when I got my gears installed I raced hard that night as well but I was street racing. You just have to do a lot of heat cycles to temper teh gears its not really the milage issue. You should be fine.

Practice with those gears and make sure to spina little coming out of the hole so you dont bog that motor of yours. Thsoe egarts should take off like half a sec.

--------------------
Support our troops!

griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Back when I had a high mileage '82 GT, things kept wearing out and breaking, and I bought a lot of Ford Racing Parts. When the original 7.?" rear end went South, I bought an 8.8" Traction Lok one with 3.73's. I thought it made a big difference, but I forget whether the '82 stock ratio was 3.08 or 3.27

That car also got a '84 GT's 5.0 and T5 before I sold it.

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You made a good choice...

Move on with your modding. Gears are only one part of the package [Wink] .

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
BATTMAN
¯
Member # 2063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BATTMAN  Ford pictures for BATTMAN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll be happy with the 3.73's. I personally would have gone with the 4.10's for a mod motor. You made a good decision though.

--------------------
3.73 gears,pro 5.0 shifter, hotchkin lca's, 4in hood,75mm MAS, 3core radiator, 1.7rr, cold air kit, 65mm tb, ported e7's, pullies, short belt, long tubes, h-pipe, dynomax exhaust, 95gt 17in rims, 275/40 in back, 245/45 in front

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com