Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » headers for my setup

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: headers for my setup
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sup i need to find the best headers for my setup
i have a bone stock 90 lx im going to either get a bassani x or spin tech with dynomax ultraflo bullets with turn downs? any suggestions? [Confused]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much are you lookin to spend? Do you want longtubes, or shorty's? If you want to retain smog legality, go shortys, but youd probably be happiest with long tubes. What are you plans for it? Just about any brand header witll be ok, i just would stay away from MAC, most people see m to have probs with em. The FMS are ok shortys, as are the BBK's... The finish of the header all depends on how much you want to spend... some are paited=ugly, but functional.Stainless steel= better, but will still discolor after a while. Ceramic coated=nice, looks good, and retains its finish for a long time, but is also the most expensive... hope this helps

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
93Snyper
¯
Member # 1058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Snyper  Ford pictures for 93Snyper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with the BBK equal-length shorties with a flowtech X and those dynomax's...seems to work fine for me, but you already knew that didnt you [patriot]

--------------------
Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Milesblown03:
how much are you lookin to spend? Do you want longtubes, or shorty's? If you want to retain smog legality, go shortys, but youd probably be happiest with long tubes. What are you plans for it? Just about any brand header witll be ok, i just would stay away from MAC, most people see m to have probs with em. The FMS are ok shortys, as are the BBK's... The finish of the header all depends on how much you want to spend... some are paited=ugly, but functional.Stainless steel= better, but will still discolor after a while. Ceramic coated=nice, looks good, and retains its finish for a long time, but is also the most expensive... hope this helps

pretty much summed it up. I have ceramic BBK equal length shorties, bbk o/r x and flows and it was a nice gain.....but i wish i would have gotten some long tubes [Frown] .

On the topic of mufflers, i know MM&FF did a thing on gains and what not but from everyones personal opinion, am i wrong with having flows on this combo? I just think i can be getting more power and a different exhaust tone from another muffler....

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i liked my jba headers, but them and bassani are a little more pricey. but you get what you paid for in this game.
as for the flows, they are fine. everyone will compare air flow ratings and what not. but it doesnt really matter on a mildly modded car. once you get crazy with the mods, then you might want to ditch the chambered mufflers all together. and if flows are so shitty, then why does everyone and there entire family have them on there car? [burnout]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would i notice any difference (besides sound) if i got single chambers? I mean how much different of a sound would they be...like as loud as if i got turn downs on this setup? or what?
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will loose a little tq with one chambers. and yeah, they are loud as fuck, especailly with an off road pipe. lol, ask the50ho about that one [Wink] [worship]

[ November 03, 2002, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: cobraman1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get equal lengths with any off road pipe and you will like the power gains.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think at the stock power level(s) that it makes much of a damn bit of difference which muffler you run, especially if you still have cats and shorty headers and stock heads and all that.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I don't think at the stock power level(s) that it makes much of a damn bit of difference which muffler you run, especially if you still have cats and shorty headers and stock heads and all that.

I agree with that as well. IMO...stock, or near stock applications do not benefit from different types of mufflers. I read somewhere that the HP difference between equal and un-equal length headers was 1hp, although the install time for equal length is quite a bit longer.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most replace mufflers for the sound not performance. If we looked for just performance we would all be running Borla XR-1's or Bassani mufflers [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
loud=fast, duh don't you know? [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thankz but i just ordered chrome eqaul length bbk headers and im going to go with a custom built X with dynmax bullets
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you think it would be easy to install the bbk headers myself?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

do you think it would be easy to install the bbk headers myself?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:

Well said. The stock H pipe is probably the most restrictive part of the factory exhaust system. Save your headers money for gears and pullies. FasterDamnit on here was one of the fastest stock motored 5.O's around and he had the stock cat back for ages. Personally, I picked up no noticable MPH going from stock headers to long tubes.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Yes the headers are fairly simple to install excepot you have to relocate some smog pump equipment on the passenger side of course.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com