Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » odd noise

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: odd noise
foursixGT
¯
Member # 1152

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for foursixGT  Ford pictures for foursixGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its kinda hard to discribe, but this 96 GT im lookin into buying has an odd noise when i release the clutch, and le mt foot fully of of the clutch. it makes a grinding noise, when you gentaly, or nomrally get on it. when you get on it a little harder the noise seems to dissappear, or become very faint, does anyone know what cold be going on, my mechanic buddy, says it is the throwout bearing. is he right.

here is the cars specs

96 GT 88k with the clutch replaced 1.5 years ago.

any help would be appreciated. and the car is bone stock.

--------------------
"Few of them know, soul of a women was created below." Led Zeppelin

Posts: 47 | From: South San Jose | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's making a grinding noise then it's most likely not your throw out bearing. In my bronco that happened to me and it turned out to be my driveshaft.

Since you don't own the car, tell the guy you'd be much more interested in buying it if he paid to have a mechanic look at it and tell you for sure.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would also guess that the throw-out bearing is not completly disengaging. Which may make a low rumble sound. [Eek!]
I dunno about musatngs but some are greasable (with a special needle) and that might fix it. [Razz]

[ October 30, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: 99Red250 ]

--------------------
99 F-250 4X4
7.3 Turbo Diesel
Superchips programmer
8" Skyjacker Suspension lift
38" Thornbirds
Yeah its true I do drive where ever the hell i want on the road, Damn was that light red?

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
foursixGT
¯
Member # 1152

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for foursixGT  Ford pictures for foursixGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've called 4 transmissions shops, and they are saying the input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing. im still gonna buy the car because it is a great deal.

thanks for the help.

--------------------
"Few of them know, soul of a women was created below." Led Zeppelin

Posts: 47 | From: South San Jose | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't rule out the TO bearing retainer (the sleeve that the TO bearing rides on).

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com