Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What the hell is this?!?!?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What the hell is this?!?!?
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I just happened to pop open my radiator last night, and I saw a few drops of a milky looking substance floating on top of the coolant. *Braces for bad news* What does this mean, leaking head gasket?
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is normally the sign of a leaky head gasket, kinda looks like a mocha color??

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most likely HG's.
Aren't you getting an HCI combo from Ed C.?

Drain the motor oil ASAP. Water in the oil will quickly toast main bearings. Even without running the motor.
If you have chocolate milk oil, pour in 4qts fresh oil & run the motor to flush as much of the water out as possible. Do this 2-3 times, then drain & change HG's. If no water is present in the oil, the shortblock should be okay, but you should still fix the problem as soon as possible.

[ October 29, 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might be auto trans cooler if equipped w/auto
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still waiting to hear back from Ed. He had a cam designed for me for the 1.7's but then said that 1.6's would probably be better, so I had him go back to the drawing board.

1sic91blackgt, I don't drink coffee so I don't know what color mocha is. It looked like a light brown beige color.

93PONY, What does "chocolate milk" oil look like? Will it actually be an opaque light brown? If I drain the oil and it looks this way, how long do I run the engine with the fresh oil to get the water out?

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chocolate milk oil is basically foamy oil. When water & oil mix in an engine it results in a glue like mixture that sticks to everything!
If there's any amount of water in the oil, it'll drain first, followed by oil, then the foam. If indeed you do have water in the oil, warming up the motor with fresh oil should clean a lot of the gunk out of the motor. Doing this a few times w/fresh oil each time will remove most of the water/oil glue.

Have patients with Ed. He'll do you right. Just bug him every once in a while so he doesn't forget about you.

BTW, I go by Dark93 on the Corral. [Big Grin]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jeez, do people read anymore?
he said his radiator fluid looks milky, not his oil. right?

So lets think about this... IF its oil in the radiator, its probably NOT a head gasket. Pressurized oil doesnt travel through the head gasket. Only return oil from the head comes through the corner of the head gasket, and IF there was was a tear in the head gasket that oil would not make its way into the coolant passage...why? cus the coolant is under higher pressure.

If it was just a few little blobs, then its probably just typical sludge in the radiator coming to the surface. A little bit of oil can and does inevitable get into the cooling system, from around the timing cover to block seal, the intake manifold, etc.

If all the coolant in the system looks consistantly milky then you probably have oil getting into the water through a torn intake manifold (lower)gasket, or timing cover gasket.

If your OIL looks milky, i.e. water/coolant got in the oil, you have other problems... again, possiblly intake manifold gasket, perhaps timing cover gasket, loose or leaking head bolts or rocker studs.

good luck...

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Oil in the radiator CAN be a head gasket.

I had this problem twice.

Lifting of the head (weak bolts) can cause a leak & pressurize the coolant passages & force standing oil into the coolant. Normally it is not foamy, however, the waterpump can mix it up & cause the foam.

This is not the standard type of HG failure, but it does happen.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Thanks for the responses guys. Well I drained the oil today and it looked fine, just yucky dirty oil. I called Ed today to remind him about my combo and talked to him about it. He said that if the oil looked okay, then it's probably no big deal. He told me to run the car with the rad cap off and check to see if I have bubbles in the coolant when the thermostat opens. I'll try that tomorrow. He also suggested having my compression tested. I'll probably have that done some time soon.

I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be a big deal, I have a job interview tomorrow. I tend to jump to the worst-case scenario too quickly, but my car tends to fuck up on me a lot.

Well, at least I got an oil change out of the deal. Can't change the oil too much I guess.

Richard95stang
¯
Member # 91

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard95stang  Ford pictures for Richard95stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My old mustang had that milky water with a tad bit of oil residue. Nothing happened but two months after buying car one of my heads cracked. I checked my oil and it was dryyyy! Warranty bitch and wined but at the end took care of it. Supposively I got new stock heads. So they say.
Posts: 1496 | From: san jose, ca. usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com