Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous not helping but hindering!!!!!!!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitrous not helping but hindering!!!!!!!!!!!
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the hundred shot put on my car and instead of making the car jump into a frenzy of speed it actually slowed me down causing the car to run a 17.4 at 81...on a whole shot are you kidding me. I ran the spark plugs 2 stages cooler(23's) and the timing retarded although I don't know what it's set at. The jet is a 100 hp jet and it is spraying. The car seems to be running normal otherwise except in an idle it sometimes sounds like it's about to die. What the fuck is wrong with my car?????????? [Mad]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
timing...
Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOS=GAY...never have these problems with NX...anyway..couple of things..

1. timing..
2. angle of the bottle..
3. bottle pressure too low..
4. no nitrous in bottle??

i am sure one of these is the effect of poor performance but i am definetely leaning towards timing..even tho with the NOS kit u have to retard because it is afterall "Dry" and the extra fuel is supplied trough the injectors hence the retard...

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
typically, that is when you either have the extra fuel going in, but no N2O, or have the nitrous and fuel jets switched...

double-check your installation.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mirza:
NOS=GAY...never have these problems with NX...anyway..couple of things..

1. timing..
2. angle of the bottle..
3. bottle pressure too low..
4. no nitrous in bottle??

i am sure one of these is the effect of poor performance but i am definetely leaning towards timing..even tho with the NOS kit u have to retard because it is afterall "Dry" and the extra fuel is supplied trough the injectors hence the retard...

Yeah wait till a fuel solenoid goes out on your wet kit and then see who will be liking dry kits.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll take that chance...

1 solenoid compared to 8 injectors???

sure..why not...I'd take that chance anytime...

1 ground 1 12v wire...cant go wrong there...

even with the loss of fuel pressure the fpss will shut it down eventually...with the dry kit...you spray yourself to death until u actually let go...

thats why we have things like the 0-100 fuel pressure gauge..and the fpss...

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i'll take that chance...

1 solenoid compared to 8 injectors???

sure..why not...I'd take that chance anytime...

1 ground 1 12v wire...cant go wrong there...

even with the loss of fuel pressure the fpss will shut it down eventually...with the dry kit...you spray yourself to death until u actually let go...

thats why we have things like the 0-100 fuel pressure gauge..and the fpss...

[worship] NX [Big Grin]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Mirza
¯
Member # 135

No doubt.  -

POWA OF NX!!

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow the the timing was set to 2 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!. The only thing we have to change is back to a 25 sprakplug cause on this kit you are supposed to run the plugs at stock heat range just not platinum plugs.We changed the timing back to 8 degrees which is the recommended timing from Nos for the powershot kit. After we change the plugs it should start working. If not gotta increase the bottle pressure. God I hat trouble shooting!!!!! [Mad]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Mirza
¯
Member # 135

cool man..

hahaha 2 degrees...make sure you watch shit like that as it will go around and bite you...

I run mine @ 1100 and NGK-TR6 plugs @ .35, runs smooth...both on and off the juice..

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not running colder plugs in a pushrod windsor for N20 sounds fishy to me. Maybe at the 75 shot and below you'll get away with it, but I don't buy it for 100 and above.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You did gap them plugs correctly right?? [Wink]

Nitrous is cool!

I can't wait for my wet kit!

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[QB

QB]

eventually after the motor is toast because you have no fuel and its still sparying n20 [Razz]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
quote:
[QB

QB]

eventually after the motor is toast because you have no fuel and its still sparying n20 [Razz]
Read up Jared, the FPSS shuts off the nitrous if there is insufficient amount of fuel pressure, therefore you will not "toast" your motor because there is still nitrous spraying.

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Mirza
¯
Member # 135

what i am trying to say is that the fuel pressure does not drop if an injector fails thus the fpss will not read it thus continuous n20 delivery...but i could be wrong being that I do not like NOS and me being stubborn as I am to switch from something that actually works fine and safe to something I am not familiar with...

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

+ i see that you are not spraying but "want" to start spraying...

It's different when you are actually spraying..you learn a lot of tricks like things that you really need and don't and how the system really works..

Personally i think the fpss is shit so I don't use it..don't ask me why..personal issues..i don't use the bottle heater controller because I want to control the heat myself..go figure...

only thing I love is my heater, my purge, my tps and my 150 jets..as long as u know what u are doing u will be fine...which is why the snake is still running strong to date..

[ October 30, 2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Mirza ]

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With an NX kit, there is no reason to adjust your timing, uless you have an aftermarket computer, which will raise the timing more then normal. There is also no reason to run colder plugs. You only need to start running colder plugs when you get into the 200+hp range. If it makes you feel safer, only run 1 heat range colder, and NEVER use platinum. The heat range of the plug will not make the car run stronger, or worse. It will keep the plug clean, and disipate the heat at the rate the plug needs. Too hot a plug could start to glow, thus causing detonation. This is hard to do on a stock motor and 150 shot of nitrous. I run 13:1 350 and with a 300 shot only run a 2 heat range cold plug. There is a way to read plugs that will tell you if the heat range is correct, but I dont know if you want to get into all that.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you're shitting me? leaving timing at 14 BTDC with a 150 shot from an NX kit with stock plugs? Recipe for disaster IMHO. At least back her down to 12 BTDC, if not 10.

So if we follow your advice, do you warranty our motor(s) lol. [patriot]

I chock this one up to "don't let Chevy people give you FORD advice, lol" [worship]

edit: stock timing is 10 BTDC, so if you're talking about people who never adjusted their timing for performance I believe you. However, that is the minority around here.

[ November 03, 2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, shadetree, what is the reason for running a colder plug? Do you know? And what is the total timing on your motor? I could care less what the initial timing is. I can tell you that I have run many 351 windsors, and 350 chevys at a 200 shot, with no timing retard. I wouldnt do it with an NOS kit, for reasons I just wont get into right now. Second, doesnt your cars have a knock sensor, that if detecting detonation will retard the timing? If you honestly think that a Ford engine is any different then a Chevy, tuning nitrous wise, then you need to find a different power adder. It doesnt matter who makes the motor, as long as you know what to look for when tuning nitrous. Nitrous will work on a chevy, ford, honda, MOPAR, or even a motorcycle, and it will work the same. Do you know the reason for retarding timing? What does it do? And dont say prevents detonation, cause if you dont know what retarding the timing does, then you shouldnt be playing this game.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

lol, I don't want to argue on teh interNAt at you. Suffice to say I've stated my opinion.
Anyone who wants to run full base timing, stock plugs, full gap, and a 150 shot on their stock 5.0 HO motor you have this guys blessing, not mine.

edit: the 87-93 5.0s do not have a knock sensor. One can be added, of course. The faster windsor guys do this.

[ November 03, 2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com