Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous Questions? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nitrous Questions?
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok guys, I figured it was about time to add a little bit of boost to my car. Now I did talk to someone on here a while back from "Nitrous Works"?, but either way I have a few questions to make sure that this gets done the correct way..Now if it matters here is the car and details of the mods...98 cobra with 80k miles, off road h, 4.10's, asp pullies, bbk 65mm t/b, flowpath dumps.

#1- Wet system or dry?

#2- Depending on the system, what components are needed to intall it with the upmost reliability and safety?

#3- Adding on to question 2, what other accs are needed to keep me from toasting anything?

Oh and I am obviously looking to run somewhere between a 75-125 shot. (I think--not to radical is what im goin for)

Thanks for the help. [patriot]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First of all Nitrous is not considered boost. When speaking of boost many times its in regards to a supercharger or turbo charger.

If I were you I would go with a 150 shot wet system from NX (Nitrous Express). With that kit get a purge, bottle warmer, and a nitrous pressure guage. I would also get a little bigger fuel pup such as a 155lph. Other than that you should be ready to go.

--------------------
Support our troops!

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
First of all Nitrous is not considered boost. When speaking of boost many times its in regards to a supercharger or turbo charger.

If I were you I would go with a 150 shot wet system from NX (Nitrous Express). With that kit get a purge, bottle warmer, and a nitrous pressure guage. I would also get a little bigger fuel pup such as a 155lph. Other than that you should be ready to go.

Okie dokie....and yes I know "boost" refers to turbo's or superchargers....I just meant a "boost" in performance..hehe..I need all the help my slow ass can get!! [Razz] [dance]

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will love nitrous on your cobra but watch out for those gears.

--------------------
Support our troops!

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ok..here's another ?...do I want to run it on a WOT switch...or wire it to where I have to manually activate it by hitting a button?

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

WOT switches are a lot better so all you do arm it and when you go WOT it gos. Less things for you to worry about. You will be shifting so fast with those gears you will need as little things to do as possible.

--------------------
Support our troops!

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

quote:
WOT switches are a lot better so all you do arm it and when you go WOT it gos. Less things for you to worry about. You will be shifting so fast with those gears you will need as little things to do as possible.

Just watch the powershifting and the mis-shifts...correct?!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
brian, IM me
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by POONSTANG:
quote:

Just watch the powershifting and the mis-shifts...correct?!!! [Big Grin]
Yeah you WILL want a rev limiter on your car.

--------------------
Support our troops!

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I would also get a little bigger fuel pup such as a 155lph. Other than that you should be ready to go.

98 cobras come stock with a 190lph pump.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
quote:
I would also get a little bigger fuel pup such as a 155lph. Other than that you should be ready to go.

98 cobras come stock with a 190lph pump.
Sorry meant 255..like the Walbro.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Damn my bad on the fuel pump thing, oh btw you might want to consider a remote bottle opener as well since it will be mounted in the trunk I assume.

--------------------
Support our troops!

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NX wet kit 35-150hp adjustments
GENX or GENX2 depending if you want the purge kit or not.

I would recommend getting an activation button to use in conjunction with the WOT switch. So you have to be at WOT and have to be pressing the button. Makes for a safe environment using nitrous

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by nitrousracing:
NX wet kit 35-150hp adjustments
GENX or GENX2 depending if you want the purge kit or not.

I would recommend getting an activation button to use in conjunction with the WOT switch. So you have to be at WOT and have to be pressing the button. Makes for a safe environment using nitrous

Scott

Well that means the button would either have to be placed on the shifter so that he can hold it while shifting or on the wheel somewhere I think thats a waste. This means you can accidently release it or slip off.

You really dont need that at all. With a WOT switch u arm it and itrs activated when you are WOT and shuts off when you let off the throttle. Thats all teh security you need. After that it just gets confusing and complicated.

--------------------
Support our troops!

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if you are running a big shot and are not running slicks or et streets or something of that nature, then it is alwasy nice to not engage the nitrous at launch (especially since POONSTANG has 4.10's). The reason a button is nice is because you dont have to always have nitrous spraying at wot especially if you have some traction problems at take off without the nitrous. It really depends on if you can keep the traction at launch or not. If you can take the nitrous at launch then you shouldnt get a button, but if you already have traction problems it is a good idea

But you are right it does make for a little more tricky situation, having to press the button

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

quote:
Originally posted by nitrousracing:
Well if you are running a big shot and are not running slicks or et streets or something of that nature, then it is alwasy nice to not engage the nitrous at launch (especially since POONSTANG has 4.10's). The reason a button is nice is because you dont have to always have nitrous spraying at wot especially if you have some traction problems at take off without the nitrous. It really depends on if you can keep the traction at launch or not. If you can take the nitrous at launch then you shouldnt get a button, but if you already have traction problems it is a good idea

But you are right it does make for a little more tricky situation, having to press the button

I run ET Streets with 11lbs of pressure and launch at about 6K

--------------------

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by POONSTANG:
Ok guys, I figured it was about time to add a little bit of boost to my car. Now I did talk to someone on here a while back from "Nitrous Works"?, but either way I have a few questions to make sure that this gets done the correct way..Now if it matters here is the car and details of the mods...98 cobra with 80k miles, off road h, 4.10's, asp pullies, bbk 65mm t/b, flowpath dumps.

#1- Wet system or dry?

#2- Depending on the system, what components are needed to intall it with the upmost reliability and safety?

#3- Adding on to question 2, what other accs are needed to keep me from toasting anything?

Oh and I am obviously looking to run somewhere between a 75-125 shot. (I think--not to radical is what im goin for)

Thanks for the help. [patriot]

Chris (stoked) is right..for some reason I do not know where this man gets all his info..anyway..from a "juiced" cobra owner to another..this is what u need and what u do not need..

-Get the NX kit..beautiful system, little harsh to install but really really effective..rates their HP levels @ the wheels and not @ the crank.

-Get the Gen X 1 and 2 upgrades. Purge is a must.
2 reasons, bottle pressure is too high and u do not want to lean out the system...you purge..2nd..when purging it cleans out the lines, delivering "fresh" nitrous to the solenoids giving u that "hit" kinda feel..

-Bottle Heater...A MUST!!! Never will u be able to run correct bottle pressure without 1. The system has to be above 900 and below 1100 bottle pressure..Too lmuch bottle pressure means to much nitro and too much nitrous IS BAD!!(sometimes)..too low bottle pressure and it will run too rich causing 2 things..too rich (obviously) 1. Not producing advertised HP and risk of fuel pudding even after sprayin @ 3k+

NGK-TR6 Plugs gapped @ .035..stay away from platinum...as I said NGK-TR6's <---BEST!!

Window switch..nice gadget..a must..not for me but for ppl that start out and cannot control themselves..pill for 3k on 6.6k off "SAFE MODE"

TPS window switch from NX...$90..SWEEEEET!!
u just connect 1 wire to 12v,1 to ground and 1 spliced to the TB TPS sending wire which is like gray and black i think...never fails...

Fuel pressure safety switch...I don't run it..I don't need it..rarely works..+ in case of anything happenin, it will be too late anyway..+ being that NX wet kits use the solenoid and the shredder valve tap for the extra fuel..your pump has to fail in order for u to fuck up shit..

100 shot is cool, u dont need anything but a tune-up..150 u will need to retard the timing 2 degrees and thats it...

Fuel pump...--ok if u have the $$$..not really needed..our stockers are just fine...

never spray under 3k...EVER!! thats why wet kits have such a bad rap..because of the intake puddling...whatever...u spray @ 3k+, there will be so much vacuum that no fuel or nitrous will stay in the upper GUARANTEED!!

ohhh yea, and try not to miss shifts...

let me know if u have more questions..being that I have been juiced for 2 1/2 years now on a 97 cobra without any trouble...must be doing something right...right???

ohh yea, chris remember this pic???  -

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up the NX 35-150 kit with the Gen x2 upgrades, and even a remote bottle opener.
If I don't get into the 120+ mph range with that (and 18 second ET's like Mirza), I will probably set my shit on fire. [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's ruff man...it's painful cuz I just cannot dip into the 17's...SVT = SAD [Frown] [Frown] this is the only thing that cobras are good for..  -

..fixin'... [Frown]

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bah! that ain't fixin. You got the deluxe model my man. LX= POOR MAN's ride
 -

you don't have to deal with leaks or pushrods or the factory 2500 rpm rev limiter! [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

at least u got a place to work at..epace and quiet i guess...we gotta fix our cars on the street while avoiding hit and runs and also drive-by's in bright green impalas..

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I remember right for the newer stangs like yours NX kits don't have a WOT switch you need to mount on the throttle body....
It just taps into one of the TPS wires that tell the kit when your at full throttle.

This makes for a more hidden nitrous installations [Big Grin] [worship]

[ October 23, 2002, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: 66 InjectedCobra ]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

not right. the EFI NX kit comes with a shitty little WOT switch that YOU have to mount and this requires a lot of imagenation. The ZEX kit works off of the TPS and it comes standard. The NX TPS switch you have to purchase seperately...

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

speaking of the benz....check dis out...  -

HAHAHAHAH!!

now that's balla status right there...

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Thanks guys...I really appreciate all of the info. Like I said, I just want this done RIGHT so I am not replacing a motor after 2 runs or something..I have a friend that is selling his 98 Cobra and I am picking up some things from him...

NX kit w/ both upgrades and fuel pump--$450

5" Phantom tach w/ shift light--$100

17x9 Chrome Cobra R rims w/ tires--$700

and he has brand new SHM cams for $600 and I am thinking of getting those too.
[Big Grin] Never know!! [burnout]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com