Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Detroit Locker Rear vs. spool

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Detroit Locker Rear vs. spool
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the difference between the two? Which is more streetable? Any information or links on info would be appreciated.

*this will not be going on my car*

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a detroit locker in my Ford 9".... The locker is WAAAAAAY more streetable than the spool... With the spool the axles are locked together 24/7. No differentiation in speed going around corners. When you turn corners you'll hear the tires squealing like you're burning out cause the inside tire will be turning the same speed as the outside tire (not good)... Doesn't hurt anything but causes some un-needed attention.... Detroit lockers act like spools when you are driving straight. It's a mechanical locking diff. Once straight it locks the axles together. When it senses you turning it unlocks the inside axle allowing it to freewheel and drives the outside tire. No squealing at all. Just an occasional clunking when turning and straightening out. I usually notice it as more of a clicking noise. Hardly loud and usually unnoticeable..... Go locker if it's driven on the street. Spool for all out drag cars....

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Mathers:
I have a detroit locker in my Ford 9".... The locker is WAAAAAAY more streetable than the spool... With the spool the axles are locked together 24/7. No differentiation in speed going around corners. When you turn corners you'll hear the tires squealing like you're burning out cause the inside tire will be turning the same speed as the outside tire (not good)... Doesn't hurt anything but causes some un-needed attention.... Detroit lockers act like spools when you are driving straight. It's a mechanical locking diff. Once straight it locks the axles together. When it senses you turning it unlocks the inside axle allowing it to freewheel and drives the outside tire. No squealing at all. Just an occasional clunking when turning and straightening out. I usually notice it as more of a clicking noise. Hardly loud and usually unnoticeable..... Go locker if it's driven on the street. Spool for all out drag cars....

Your right

--------------------
Support our troops!

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Marshall, which brand locker do you have that clunks and clicks? You can only hear mine when it's up on jack stands and you're turning the tires in different directions by hand with the engine off.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have an auburn mini spool in my 9 inch. i use bfg's on the street and do not have any problems with it. i do hear a little chirp of my tires around corners but i have gotten used to it. with street tires i dont see much of a problem because they never hook up enough to cause serious damage. ive had this setup for 6 months and no problems. it is a pain in the ass however at low speeds, ie parallel parking. . you'll break 6 or 7 spools for the price of 1 locker. id imagine youd break an axel before the spool. my car is mostly race, but thats when i use slicks. but on the street with street tires...no problem

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can I buy the locker rear end? they make them for 8.8 rears right?

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my locker from moser but that's for a 9", i dont know shit about 8.8s
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a detroit in a 9 inch with forty-two inch tires on it and it has performed very well.
My only complaint is that it also doesn't always unlock around corners so the tires chirp but it never fails to lock when i need it. [burnout]

Try west coats differentials they have hella stuff for the 8.8's including the detroit locker, and they are also really reasonably priced. [patriot]

[ October 23, 2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: 99Red250 ]

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com