Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » just got new rims, so what tires???? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: just got new rims, so what tires????
Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Procharged2Kv6  Ford pictures for Procharged2Kv6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey people,

i just got some saleen rims 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, and was wondering what kind of tires i should run on them... not toooo pricey but good street tires!!

i want to run at least 255 in the front and 295 in the rear..

and if anyone has any HOOK ups with tires..please shoot me a PM, email, or just reply! thanks =)

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
*SOLD*Supercharged V6 Stang
(11PSI)

Posts: 579 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nitto 555's I think those are the best tire for the money. You can get 255\40's for 140 a tire a discounttiredirect.com

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea Nittos are cool, and so are Yokohama's A032R's. But with your 18's....it will be a lil difficult. Since if I am looking at www.discounttiredirect.com correctly, they only have one 18 inch tire. Its 304/45. Which would be cool all the way around, unless u wanted bigger in the rear then in front(which is what I think u said you wanted). Since you prolly dont want to do 305 wide all the way around, you will prolly have to go with the same tires that are on the 2000 Cobra R. Sorry, most compaines do 17's.
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hate to say, but you're probably best going with 275/35s on all 4 corners. Since you're in San Francisco, go to the Big O shop on Geary, just down from Masonic. They took care of me there. Otherwise Tirerack has good prices.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Procharged2Kv6  Ford pictures for Procharged2Kv6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks!...all your help is very much appreciated..

i was wondering... check these out.what do u think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1868511824

i could get em for $319 a pair..
its just that word "Cosmetic Blem" what does that mean..??

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
(11PSI)

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 96' Saleen with 18" rims and I have tried 3 different types of tires. Michelin Pilot Sports which are pretty good, P Zero Perellis, and the best and my favorite which I have right now Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions which they make that big, they are sweet tires. Look great and perform better and not that expensive. They are the same tires as on the new M3s.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DOOD..I have Nitto 285/35/18 on 18x9.5 wheels out back. It will rub.

Did you get my email regarding Andy?

[ October 23, 2002, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: GTChink ]

--------------------
1999 GT Twin Screwedsold.

Posts: 477 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where did you get those rims on the picture? or where did you get them painted?

[ October 23, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: y2kgt01 ]

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Procharged2Kv6:
thanks!...all your help is very much appreciated..

i was wondering... check these out.what do u think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1868511824

i could get em for $319 a pair..
its just that word "Cosmetic Blem" what does that mean..??

If you look at the first picture, about center mast on the right hand side, you can see a small nick in the tread, that is one example of a cosmetic blem.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by y2kgt01:
where did you get those rims on the picture? or where did you get them painted?

You talking to me? LOL...The whole picture is photochopped [Wink]

--------------------

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Hey GTCHINK,

andy doesnt have the wing anymore sorry bro.. umm what you talkin bout your 285's rub? in the rear..?? how, i saw other mustangs run 295 in the rear w/o rubbing...

let me know soon, cause imma buy tires this weekend!! thanks =)

is a cosmetic blem a real bad thing? or does it look real bad,?? is it worth it??

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
(11PSI)

GTChink
¯
Member # 293

quote:
Originally posted by Procharged2Kv6:
Hey GTCHINK,

andy doesnt have the wing anymore sorry bro.. umm what you talkin bout your 285's rub? in the rear..?? how, i saw other mustangs run 295 in the rear w/o rubbing...

let me know soon, cause imma buy tires this weekend!! thanks =)

is a cosmetic blem a real bad thing? or does it look real bad,?? is it worth it??

Thanks, regarding the wing.
As for the rubbing, normally it doesn't rub, but when you're cruising on the freeway, and there's a big dip , it will rub. Also, when I am going over the dip between a steep driveway and the street, when the rear wheel is in that dip, you entire back of the the car totally sits over the tire, causing it to rub. For some reason it just does, whereas I know people with 275s don't. Who knows? Most people just don't announce it....
Dunno anything about "cosmetic blend" [Confused]

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why didn't you get the pirelli package?????

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

quote:
Originally posted by MustangSS:

Pirellis on 'stangs suck! Ask any Saleen owners...they can tell you they have no traction whatsoever.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know if they make em in these sizes but sumitomo hrtz2's are very good for the money. big-brand name tires are more expensive

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

do 285's and 295's make a big difference in performance?? and appearance..??

thanks AGAIN!!

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
(11PSI)

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

i've been trying to find those SO-3's and can't find them on tirerack.com??? where can i get em?? thanks for ur help!

and i've decided to go w/ 285s cause i can save a lot more money rather than going wit 295's in the rear... the reason why i wanted to go w/ 295 was cause i got the 10" rear and i wanted it to stick out more.. it will right?? since i have 255's (9" rims) in the front and 285's for the rears (10" rim)

=)

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
(11PSI)

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheel Works should have them.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Procharged2Kv6
where did u get ur rims from?
u should be able to get away w/ 295s on the rear as those tires come stock on saleens equiped w/ 10" wide rims.
the reason y an 2000 cobra r wheel might rub w/ a tire wider than 275 is all in the backspacing.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They're tires! Just make sure they're rubber and u should be fine. [dance] [dance] [dance]

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STANG'N IT:
They're tires! Just make sure they're rubber and u should be fine. [dance] [dance] [dance]

Not even close to being true.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know. i was just being sarcastic. Some times i jsut think people put to much time and brain power into this HOBBIE . oh well. It was just kinda a joke.

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nitto 555'r is all i use..275/40/17 with 15psi in em...dam now those grip...btw, when u see your radial look like this...it's time to replace em....

-

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

00NIGHTMARE
¯
Member # 1010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00NIGHTMARE  Ford pictures for 00NIGHTMARE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTChink:
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSS:

Pirellis on 'stangs suck! Ask any Saleen owners...they can tell you they have no traction whatsoever.. [Big Grin]
yeah pirelli's suck ass. i had traction for about 2 weeks than they were gone after 7000 miles. i go through rear tires about every 6-8 months using yokahomas now. the 285/40/18's seemed to hook up the best. i have 295/35/18 on there now and have little traction left after 3 months. so 285/40's seem to be the best.

--------------------
00 black GT w/saleen kit & rims
T-Trim 597RWHP 475RWTQ 1.79 60. 11.2 @ 131.9 on 91 tune, not me driving. Built and tuned by Nextgen.

Posts: 533 | From: Livermore again | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

sup man,

you're running 285/40's??/ those are pretty thick arent they..instead of using 35 series.. does it make a big difference?? cause first of all im still confused, whether getting 285's, or 295's in the rear..or should i go w/ 35, or 40 series now.. sorry for all the confusion its just there's not a lot to select from if i chose 295's, and that are 35 series... soo many tires..

thanks for your patience everyone!!

ps. oh yah, where did u purchase them too.. (those pics on your site, what kind of setup is that..cool setup man)

[ October 24, 2002, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Procharged2Kv6 ]

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
(11PSI)

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com