Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need opinions....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need opinions....
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, as of now my car gets traction for shit and its really affecting my races. I have some money to spend and i basically have a few options.

1) To get a nitrous set-up set to about 75-100 shot.
2) Save up a little more and get some welds and e.t. streets.

The way ive been thinking is why get more speed if my tires cant even handle it now. But then again, i can always just hit the nitrous after i stop spinnin 'em [burnout]

[ October 17, 2002, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spend that money at the track learning how to launch properly [patriot]
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well despite what you may think im not dropping the clutch at like 2 grand thinking im gonna catch traction, i basically just launch, start to go, and as i accelerate they just spin. If you think its my driving please feel free to offer some tips of what you think i may be doing wrong, but personally i do this day in and day out on the streets and its just not hooking.
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In another post you said that your back end kept getting lose on your shifts. I'm not ripping on your car, but your car doesn't have enough power to break the tires lose in the first few gears unless you are spinning them way too hard originally. So basically, if you don't get any traction in first gear, if you shift fast enough, you wont get any traction in second right away. I think you need to not go full throttle right away in first gear, other wise you'll keep spinning em...

Let me know if that makes sense.

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
In another post you said that your back end kept getting lose on your shifts. I'm not ripping on your car, but your car doesn't have enough power to break the tires lose in the first few gears
[BS flag]
with my old tires i could spin them through 3rd gear and i have about the same mods he has, it all depends on what tires u have, now im running nittos and man those babys grip like no tomarow

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1sic91blackgt:
quote:
In another post you said that your back end kept getting lose on your shifts. I'm not ripping on your car, but your car doesn't have enough power to break the tires lose in the first few gears
[BS flag]
with my old tires i could spin them through 3rd gear and i have about the same mods he has, it all depends on what tires u have, now im running nittos and man those babys grip like no tomarow

So you're saying that you can go from a roll in second gear, while not spinning your tires at all and then when you shift into third and floor it you break your tires lose and your back end gets loose? Maybe my car is seriously out of tune, but i have just a couple more mods than him and i can't do that. I guess my tires are just great.

All i'm saying is that if you spin your tires all the way through one gear, most likely first gear then of course you can break your tires lose in second gear, and if you spin all the way through second then you could get loose in third as well. BUT, if you actually get traction in the first two gears i don't see either of your cars getting lose on that shift. That is why i said he needs to take the lead foot off in first gear, because getting traction in one gear helps you get traction in the next.

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the tires.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya i know what ur saying 88gt but it really depend if u have shitty tires or not. my new nittos no matter how hard i try in 2nd i can just make them chip then they stick, but with my old ones man i couldnt do shit, i had to feather every time and it was pissin me off.

i think all u need are some good tires man that helped me out. i highly recomend nittos i love them to death

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those of you with those cars just ripping through first, second, and third gears, how about laying off the throttle for a second? I highly doubt you're pushing enough power to really break it loose when shifting to third gear. But what would I know, I don't drive a fox body.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get nitto D/R you won't spend those if those are to much, look in to yokohama avs's are 90 dollars a tire and they will hook up the 250 horse power you have.
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:
Get nitto D/R you won't spend those if those are to much, look in to yokohama avs's are 90 dollars a tire and they will hook up the 250 horse power you have.

Well considering i hung with a 99 cobra i dont know about the "250" that im supposed to have, but hey if u think ive gained 25 horse from those bolt ons that cool....Anyway, are nitto's really that good? How much are they and how long will they last?
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

quote:
Originally posted by PeNiNsula302:
quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:

Well considering i hung with a 99 cobra i dont know about the "250" that im supposed to have, but hey if u think ive gained 25 horse from those bolt ons that cool....Anyway, are nitto's really that good? How much are they and how long will they last?
How much rear wheel horespower you think you have? Not trying to flame, i'm just curious.
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

real wheel horsepower? i dont know, ive never been good at calculating that, ill leave that to the dyno...but for flywheel i am guessing....not guessing, hoping at least 285 or somewhere near there...
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What engine mods of yours would get you to 285 rwhp? You don't show anything in your sig that will get you there. Most of the mods you list are supplemental mods, not primary gain mods.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as my car sits now, with my worn michelin snow-rated 225's, I can go from rolling in 2nd at 2000 rpms to spinning the tires in 2nd at 3000 rpms if I completely floor it. my motor is pretty weak too.

but I have to agree that driving skill is the main problem if you are "lighting up your tires" in a humble stock 5 liter [Big Grin]

give 'ya a hint. mashing the gas down is not the fastest way anywhere unless you've got slicks. Depending on the power, maybe not even then either.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he said 285 flywheel.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
give 'ya a hint. mashing the gas down is not the fastest way anywhere unless you've got slicks. Depending on the power, maybe not even then either.

this maybe true, although when im racing something where my launch determines if i even have a chance......well im not gonna ease into it and watch him fly by me, you know? as for the tires not easily being lit up by a stock 5.0 engine, well im afraid thats not too accurate... In my humble opinion, 50's can spin em for days and it doesnt take much to get them going.

Damn, where did this post get to? I was just asking if i should get slicks or go with the nitrous, and it seems like it just turned to a flame war. damn [BS flag]

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

just get a set of drag radials and then get some nitrous [Smile]

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Pen302- this did not turn into a flame war at all. You are mis-interpreting what people are saying. Instead of thinking we are insulting you, just sit back, relax and read what is being written, you will definately learn something.

Here's an example of how we're trying to help you. Shade tree and i both said that maybe you should go easy on the throttle in first gear to get traction. Then you said "well im not gonna ease into it and watch him fly by me, you know?" Well that's great, IF you get traction, but you're clearly not, so you should ease up on it. Then to further illustrate why you should ease off the pedal in first you said "50's can spin em for days and it doesnt take much to get them going." WELL, if you spin them so easily then you shouldn't be on the gas so hard.
Read the "going to the drag strip" section from the site. That will help you a lot. You'll see stuff like sometimes people like Drew will get their best MPH ever on street tires, but won't get close to beating their best ET. Why?? because wheel spin inflates MPH, but not ET. ET wins races, not MPH. I hope this helps a little.

And to answer you're question, i would get tires instead of nitrous [patriot]

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want get 3:55 gears and your nitrous and then you can do some nice hole shots if you are able to get some traction.
Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the tires. I see 2 reasons why:

Your sig says " Saleen Suspension" This may be working against you when drag racing. A stock suspension car will usually hook better than a "racecraft" car with ultra low-pro tires. If you want to keep good street handling yet still improve your launches, get a set of Nitto or BFG Drag Radials. When you drop their pressure and heat 'em up, these things will truly amaze you.

Now, you also have a serious rear-end, your car can EASILY handle a set of full slicks as well. If you really want serious traction, even with the bottle, get a set of 15" wheel (assuming they clear your rear brakes) and some E/T streets. With some practice, you may lose up to a full second off your 1/4 mile times.

Good luck man!!

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com