Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GEARS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GEARS
PonyBoy
¯
Member # 1744

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy  Ford pictures for PonyBoy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to buy some gears next weak and need to know how every one elses gears are working out for them. Should i get 3.55 3.73 or 4.10 ???????? [burnout]

--------------------
'91 5.0 LX Hatch

Posts: 114 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless you're trapping over 125, get 3.55s and we will kick you in the nuts!

(seriously though, at least 3.73s, and if you can't decide, 3.90s are an option now too)

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What car? I'm getting 4.10's in my 90 on Thursday and I'll post what those are like.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
PonyBoy
¯
Member # 1744

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy  Ford pictures for PonyBoy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drive a 91 5.0 lx hatch. And it is my daily driver.
66MaN
¯
Member # 1976

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 66MaN  Ford pictures for 66MaN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bro go with 4.10 cuz ( i am assuming you have a 5 speed) your 5 gear is an over drive. match a cam and get some traction and you should be good to go.
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless you have a auto, stick with the 3:55's only idiots have 3:73's+ with manual trans..."UNLESS" they have the correct gearing in their tranny's, most people have stock t5's which work best with 3:55's
Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
unless you have a auto, stick with the 3:55's only idiots have 3:73's+ with manual trans..."UNLESS" they have the correct gearing in their tranny's, most people have stock t5's which work best with 3:55's

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

WOW! You just called a lot of people on this site idiots, including myself (proud owner of 3.73's) Why is it that you think 3.55's "work best" with t5's?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm wondering "what gearing" we with 3.73 or greater ratios are "missing" in the trans. Are you talking about the speedo driven odometer gear? who the F cares? lol! 23T is close enough, no need to break down the tranny 'cause your odometer is 5% off.

otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about, heh.

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[Confused]
I beg to differ...ive had both 355s and 373s on my 88 w/T5, and consider the 373s a much better all around gear.

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you want to get smoked like the rest of my friends with their 3:73's they started listening to me. They launch hard and then they shift immediatly, if you have 3:55's you launch almost as hard and are able to get more out of the powerband of 1st gear and then hit second. think about how much you and everyone else with 3:73's can actually use 1st gear for more then a second. Until you actually have tries 3:55's which nobody does they just jump into 3:73 then you can actually complain about my post. I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience. I'll tell you what in a weeK when I put 3:55 in a 93 lx and race it against a 94 cobra with 3:73 I'll tell you how stupid I really am ok because its going to be just like the last time the lx will take the cobra.
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sticky tires work wonders for all of those "idiots" out there.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
unless you're trapping over 125, get 3.55s and we will kick you in the nuts!

(seriously though, at least 3.73s, and if you can't decide, 3.90s are an option now too)

i would agree with this
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Shade tree I thought you knew something, how could you possibly think I was talking about speedo gears. 3:73's and 4:10's are good in a trans with ratios like the tko.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

quote:
I'll tell you how stupid I really am ok because its going to be just like the last time the lx will take the cobra.

hey nobodies calling anyone stupid.

Here's $20 that says you can't out 60' what my stock-motored '93 LX did on 3.73s with your LX running 3.55s. (got a couple 1.72s)

gears are a torque multiplier, and sure 3.55s are 'real close' but they're not close enough [Big Grin]

But, given street tires, 3.73s or 4.10s simply take more practice to get used to. In the hands of an inexperienced driver, sure probably the 3.55s are 'easier' to drive quickly but I could say the same argument for 3.08s. I mean with 3.08s I could leave really hard on street tires. Does that make it faster? no. Just easier to drive if you have a problem keeping your right foot out of it [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

i had 355s for several years and then went with the 373s...."wow this feels soo much better" was my thought. The 355s might be a better high speed road race type gear. to each is own.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

3.55s have their place, absolutely. But given the inability of our cars to accelerate in 5th, yeah, 4th should be 'tuned' by a road-racer for the speed he wants to operate in.
Lord knows 3.73s or 4.10s sign off pretty early in 4th gear if you have stock E7TE heads. Something like 110 mph for 3.73s depending on tire size. That is WAAAAAY too slow for most road courses.

course kinda like what you were saying, if you had a tremec with that 0.8 5th gear, it wouldn't make a big deal if you had 3.73s or 4.10s 'cause you could actually use 5th to accelerate. [patriot]

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

shade tree of course you know your tremec 3550 has different ratios then a stock t5. your total gear reduction in first gear with your 3:73's is 7:1 and a stock trans with 3:55's is 6.9:1 so you mine as well have a stock t5 with 3:55's. Your gear ratio is what I was talking about by different trans gears.
A stock t5 with 3:73's has a final drive of 7.08 in first which is almost another full turn. do you see my point?

PonyBoy
¯
Member # 1744

Not to be a dick or anything, but it would be nice if you guys argue a little less and ofer a little more help.
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy:
Not to be a dick or anything, but it would be nice if you guys argue a little less and ofer a little more help.

Well they are trying to help you so much that they are arguing, because they both feel passionately about this subject. If you read it and didn't complain you might learn something.

As far as answering you're question, mostly everyone will tell you that if you are only worried about track performance and don't drive on the freeway much then get 4.10's, but if this is you're daily driver and you drive on the freeway often then you'd want to go with 3.73's. If you don't care about high speeds and gas mileage than no doubt get 4.10's. I have 3.73's in my daily driven 5.0.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ponyboy since you said your car was a daily driver go with either 3.73's or 3.55's, if I were you I would go for the 3.73's so that you wont regret it later.

--------------------
Support our troops!

OFFROAD PIPE
¯
Member # 1607

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFROAD PIPE  Ford pictures for OFFROAD PIPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10s, dont be skered. [burnout]

--------------------
ARGUING ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS, EVEN IF YOU WIN, YOURE STILL RETARDED.

Posts: 864 | From: Anaheim Hills, | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
Ponyboy since you said your car was a daily driver go with either 3.73's or 3.55's, if I were you I would go for the 3.73's so that you wont regret it later.

Go with the 3.73's. It sounds like you do alot of driving. Do you have alot of mods planned for your car? Are or do you consider yourself a racer? If so, get the gears you figure you'll end up getting anyway. This way you save money on switching a second time.

--------------------
Jason McCallum
89LX: Built, Stroked, & Blown

Posts: 1799 | From: SJ/Campbell, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silvergt99:
4.10s, dont be skered. [burnout]

nice advice for a daily driver [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Support our troops!

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the 3.73's
They are a good all around gear.
I drive my car 500 miles a week with 3.73's and still get 21-23 mpg on the freeway.

3.55's will only lower your 5th gear rpm by about 200 which isn't enough to even worry about.

I also must agree with shade-tree (Which hurts to say [Wink] )
quote:
But, given street tires, 3.73s or 4.10s simply take more practice to get used to. In the hands of an inexperienced driver, sure probably the 3.55s are 'easier' to drive quickly but I could say the same argument for 3.08s. I mean with 3.08s I could leave really hard on street tires.
Good Luck
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com