Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ManualQuestion!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ManualQuestion!!
JuniorMustangFan
Member # 1965

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for JuniorMustangFan  Ford pictures for JuniorMustangFan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I am new to this site. I dont own a mustang(i am only 14) However, I am already saving for to buy one when I turn 16. However, I got a question, and i know its probably dumb. But what do you do when you are driving a stick and you are on a hill. How do you stop from going backwards, while you shi [Confused] ft into first. Any advice would be great.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol. speaking for myself, I honest to goodness fear places like San Francisco when in the stang.

when you're parked on a 20-30 degree slope at a light for instance, if somebody is parked right behind your bumper it will be entertaining.

my solution is to use the ebrake, then to give it a little gas and slip the clutch in. It's all timing, but as it grabs let go of the ebrake.

otherwise, the solution is pretty similar to how you 'launch' a 5-speed car.
one foot on the clutch, the other on the brake. put her in first and quickly jump from the brake to the gas while simultaneously feeding in the gas. if you time it just right, you will only roll back inches--- even in S.F., lol.
the first time you start on a hill in a manual it will be scary. you'll figure it out though. just don't start in S.F., small, easy hills, heh.

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hold in the clutch with the left foot, hold the brake with the right foot and when the time comes for you to go, start easing out on the clutch as you move your right foot to gas pedal. Then as you start to give it gas you continue to let out on the clutch until you are moving in a full forward motion.

You can practice by squatting down and putting your back against the wall and moving your hands and feet as if you were driving a stick. [Big Grin]

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
lol. speaking for myself, I honest to goodness fear places like San Francisco when in the stang.

when you're parked on a 20-30 degree slope at a light for instance, if somebody is parked right behind your bumper it will be entertaining.

my solution is to use the ebrake, then to give it a little gas and slip the clutch in. It's all timing, but as it grabs let go of the ebrake.

otherwise, the solution is pretty similar to how you 'launch' a 5-speed car.
one foot on the clutch, the other on the brake. put her in first and quickly jump from the brake to the gas while simultaneously feeding in the gas. if you time it just right, you will only roll back inches--- even in S.F., lol.
the first time you start on a hill in a manual it will be scary. you'll figure it out though. just don't start in S.F., small, easy hills, heh.

Basically what I was goig to say.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

JuniorMustangFan
Member # 1965

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JuniorMustangFan  Ford pictures for JuniorMustangFan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the reply
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JuniorMustangFan:
Thanks for the reply

Didn't you just post under another topic as "blacksnake98" stating that you just got a '98 Cobra? And you are only 14...wtf?

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put some monster tires on it and when your sitting on a 20 degree hill your car won't even roll backyards LOL

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ITS CALLED SKILL YOU GET FROM EXPERIENCE AND IF YOU STILL ROLL BACK BUY AN AUTOMATIC.
Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com