Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Friends 86 GT - Coolant Smell and some coolant inside the car

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Friends 86 GT - Coolant Smell and some coolant inside the car
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friends 86 GT has been running abnormally warm lately. Her coolant keeps dropping and she said that today the temps got near the red mark on the guage. She also said a little coolant squirted on her shoes inside the car. Does this sound like the Heater Core? Can it cause the car to overheat?

Anyways let me know

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes a leaking heater core can lead to the car to overheat. The heater core is part of the cooling system, therefore uses the same fluid.
An cheap alternative is to "bypass" the heatercore.

'86 GT daily driver

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

sskiller
¯
Member # 1564

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sskiller  Ford pictures for sskiller    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats bad news! I'm going through lots of coolant too, and my neighbor whos a big car guy and has been around the block a few times told me coolant in a car like that could be a problem with a head gasket or something with the manifold, dunno if its true or not so don't flame me.

[ October 09, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: sskiller ]

POS88GT
¯
Member # 1757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POS88GT  Ford pictures for POS88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the heater core if it's leaking in the car. That sucks! Oh well could always be worse. And yes you could bypass the heater core for a quick fix.
Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the heater core to me too. I had the core go out on my ranger and steam started comming throught the vents [Eek!] , it was pretty scrarey but neat too!

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Ruben
¯
Member # 1088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruben  Ford pictures for Ruben  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was she driving when the coolant went on her shoes? I'm puzzled if she was. Get the cooling system pressure tested.
Posts: 113 | From: Concord, Ca | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com