Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Shift Kits

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Shift Kits
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the difference between the Transgo shift kit in Summit for $100 and the B&M shift kit down at Kragen for $30? Sh [Confused] ouldn't they both do the same thing or is the transgo kit just that much better?

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know the difference, but Byron burned me a chip for my auto GT that firmed up the shifts, and now they snap my head back when at WOT...it's cool [Cool]

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
I dont know the difference, but Byron burned me a chip for my auto GT that firmed up the shifts, and now they snap my head back when at WOT...it's cool [Cool]

How much did that set you back?

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AZTECLX:
quote:

The chip was $330...I only got it cause I was getting the 4.10 gears put in and needed the chip to compensate for the speedo since I have an auto. So at the same time, I had Byron adjust the shift points, bump the timing, and solve my CEL light that was coming on due to the xpipe I put on...

So if you do the math, I didnt need:

Mil eliminators: $50
Shiftkit: $100
Timing Adjuster: 180
Speedo Calibrator: $70

So all in all, the chip was cost effective! [Cool]

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never thought about it that way. Smart man

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know how it works for the newer stangs but my transgo kit actually upgrades the tranny as were the B/M wold not... As in upgraded springs and stuff..
Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much did that run you IKE? [Confused]
Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the b&m one won't even chirp second unless you have at least 4:10's. I got a transgo and it will chirp with even 2:73's
Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Manny
¯
Member # 23

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manny  Ford pictures for Manny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

The chip was $330...I only got it cause I was getting the 4.10 gears put in and needed the chip to compensate for the speedo since I have an auto. So at the same time, I had Byron adjust the shift points, bump the timing, and solve my CEL light that was coming on due to the xpipe I put on...

What else can byron do with the chip?

How do I get a hold of Byron? Do I have to make an appointment with him?

Thanks

--------------------
Manny...

Posts: 495 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99.00 through jdsperformance.com has them for that price. Even commes with and install video.. I did mine with a little help from a friend not really that hard. But if you do have gears in your car you have to do a little extra when installing the kit... Not hard at all..

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the B&M Shift kit in my 1991 AOD. It chirps 2nd hard and almost 3rd gear with 3.73's. I have a rebuilt rear end with a brand new track lock too so its not no one legger.

The differnce between the 2 shift kits is this. The trans go you actually have to drill a hole in the valve body itself and the seperator plates as where the b&m you only have to drill holes in the seperator plate. This alows WOT shifts to 4th gear. The springs that you replace in the valve body for the trans go ARE a little bit stiffer wich gives you a harsher shift but its all in what you want out of the car and drive ability. Now the B&M feels fine when driving around town and doesnt shift real jerky like the trans go does and to me that would just get annoying.

Just remeber the harder the shift the shorter your tranny life and heat is the key to auto tranny failure so make sure you get an aftermarket tranny cooler like a flex-a-lite for like $75.

--------------------
Support our troops!

04 Mystic
¯
Member # 220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 Mystic  Ford pictures for 04 Mystic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Manny:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What else can byron do with the chip?

How do I get a hold of Byron? Do I have to make an appointment with him?

Thanks

You can get in touch with Byron at RASESYSTEMS.COM

BYRON@RACESYSTEMS.COM

Jim

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STOKED:
My friend has the Transgo (I think thats the one he has), in his lightning an it's freakin amazin how he just barks the tires like its a stick.... [Eek!] [burnout]

Who would that be?

--------------------
Support our troops!

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone ever use the shift kit made by steeda
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Cool deal shift kits are cool. With the kit and the addition of geras my car picked up almost a 1 second in my AOD. It really wakes them up.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My tranny has revised shifting & 10" stall, I can NEVER chirp a moving gear. What kind of tires are you chirping with?? 245 street tires??

Is transgo the kit that shifts into Overdrive at WOT??
Mine used to do that and I felt it reduced my times. I would prefer to hold 3rd into redline. Mayebe I had mine adjusted wrong?

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
bmxer
¯
Member # 1222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmxer  Ford pictures for bmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are shift kits hard to install?
Posts: 212 | From: cerritos, ca | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Tyrant 89 I have 255-17 street tires on my car and at 40 psi my car slides arouns all over the road when I bang 2nd in my AOD and if I lower the pressure in my street tires to 20psi which is what I race on it barks them real lound. I have a b&m kit with 3.73's and a new AOD. 3,000 stall will be in shortly. Yes Trans Go is the shift kit where you can shift WOT into fourth gear.

BMXER shift kits are not hard to install at all. Fairly simple and take a few hours. B&M is alot easier to install than a trans go by the way.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com