Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Supercharger Q's

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Supercharger Q's
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, I have a few questions that I hope will get some good solid answers.

Are centrifugal blowers that much more likely to blow out an engine compared to roots style?

What precautions would I need to take to put 8 lbs of boost into my car to run a completely safe tune, to have a strong daily driver?

How much $$$ am I looking at total, with all the precautions involved?

How many people have had great experiences with superchargers, and haven't had severe problems?

Thanks

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Centrifigal blowers tend to be slightly more "dangerous" to your engine because they just plain produce more horsepower, and when not accompanied by a good tune or competent fuel system you will run into problems. In order to make it safe you'll need more fuel (injectors, fuel pumps, fmu possibly if it comes with your kit) and a good tune. With 8 pounds of boost you shouldn't run into many problems, especially with such a low mileage motor. An aftercooler would be a nice, but expensive compliment to the supercharger.
Basically, just get it tuned, and don't always drive it like you stole it and you'll be fine.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think it's the "power" that kills the engine, but rather the rpm. Roots/twin screw blowers as well as turbos don't need to be rev'd to make max hp. Whereas centrifugal s/c's usually make max hp at or near redline.

As for precautions - Fuel, Fuel, Fuel. Make sure you have more than enough injector (big), and more than enough pump. You never want to skimp on fuel in a forced induction car.

Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com