Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GT-40 iron heads rwhp question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GT-40 iron heads rwhp question?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's a post on the corral about this:
does this sound like mustang dyno fluff?
makes me want to verify my combo at the track!

-------------------------------------------
Dynoed my 93 Cobra at NMRA'S!
The combo is in my sig. It made 278 h/p and 311 tq. I was happy to say the least especially considering my A/F was in the 12.5-1 - 12.8-1 range and the car was full operating temp! I figure I could gain some more with a leaner A/F at least the dyno operator thought so he said it was to rich. Longblock is untouched sans the E-303, and all the bolt ons!

93 Cobra> Vibrant Red/Black Cloth, 17,000 miles, Stock Longblock/E-Cam with Motorsport Valve Springs, Longtubes/Full Exhaust, A9L Computer, C&L 76, ASP Pulleys, AFPR, 255intank, and 3.55's. All else is stock down to the sparkplugs! Best time to date>12.85@108.9 on drag Radials. www.southrides.com
---------------------------------------------

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds right to me.
Was it on a mustang-dyno?

Trey runs pretty strong, but considering the mods, it's no mystery.
93 Cobra cams are CRAP! You can gain 20RWHP from a swap to a stock GT cam! The 'E' probably gave him 4-5MPH in the quarter. Add a good exhaust combo, 1.7's, & a computer that doesn't pull timing....
GT40 Irons flow ~180/130 from the factory.

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds good with that kind of mph

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sounds about right - stock GT40 irons, E303 cam, Cobra intake = 270'ish rwhp

That mph is rather impressive

[ October 02, 2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: TM88GT ]

Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They make 240 rwhp from the factory, figure 15 rwhp from the exhaust and 15 from the cam?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought it was 240 fly-wheel HP from the factory,( a little underrated, maybe 250-255) + 5-10 HP from the A9L, + 5-10 from pulleys, + 5-10 from the cam, still doesn't add up to near 280rwhp?
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well considering i just bought a Teal 93 Cobra, bone stock down to the original plug wires (see pic below for proof [Wink]

I DEFINATELY would say that it makes (seat of the pants) noticably more power than a stock 5.0HO. To me the power is in the form of low-mid range torque. This car, with stock 3.08 gears, really feels as if it pulls stronger to 3000 then my 88LX did with 3.55's before the motor was modded.

The were rated by Ford marketing at 235HP@4600 and 280lb.ft.@4000 net. I am taking this directly from the 1993 marketing brochure I got with the car.

Interestingly i have some other magazine clippings the Previous owner gave me, which say the car was under rated, and was more on the tune of 250hp and 300lb.ft. This would be roughly 220 at the wheels.
Add exhaust and you're at 235 or so.
Add the C&L, remove silencer, and perhaps 245
Do the A9L and perhaps 250

Now add the E cam, and yes, 270 at the wheels is plausible, ESPECIALLY when it corroborated with a 109mph.

Anyway, I dont think a stock 5.0HO mustang cam is going to gain "20 HP at the rear wheels"... let's not get too optimistic.

I have seen several people report about those numbers (20-25 rwhp) with an E,B, or 2040 cam and no other changes.

This owner changed to an A9L which is supposed to offer more aggressive timing. I'd give it 10HP at the most IF the mass air sensor is changed, mass air meter is changed, and an AFPR is added and set accordingly.

just my 2 cents

-

-

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice buy Chirag [worship]
actual gtech numbers from my car:
stock HO motor + bolt-ons --> 108 mph, 12.9s at 104 actual
'94 cobra motor +minor bolt ons --> 111 mph, who knows actual

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 67stang:
[QB]Anyway, I dont think a stock 5.0HO mustang cam is going to gain "20 HP at the rear wheels"... let's not get too optimistic.

/QB]

From the mouth of Ed Curtis....as seen on a dynojet by one of his customers who was unhappy with the performance of his 'Cobra' cam.

I too have a Teal 93 & recenently swaped from the cobra to a stock GT cam.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

and...... what was it worth? [patriot]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

On my car???? Don't know. I did a few other things when doing the rebuild so....
Wouldn't be a valid test anyway, I'm not N/A.

Had a dyno appointment on Saturday, but it got canceled... Byron's out of town. D'oh!

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shade-tree - 3 years ago I saw a 93 cobra dyno at 244 rwhp with only 3 chamber flows and no air silencer.

67stang - Congrats on the purchase. You have quite a stable now... drag duty 67, heads/intake LX and a stocker 93 Cobra. What are the plans for the Cobra? As for the Cobra feeling stronger down low, I'm sure some of it has to do with the stock 5.O exhaust that is choking up the motor. Cobra's are suppose to respond nicely with exhaust.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The '88 was sold to make room for the Cobra.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
shade-tree - 3 years ago I saw a 93 cobra dyno at 244 rwhp with only 3 chamber flows and no air silencer.

67stang - Congrats on the purchase. You have quite a stable now... drag duty 67, heads/intake LX and a stocker 93 Cobra. What are the plans for the Cobra? As for the Cobra feeling stronger down low, I'm sure some of it has to do with the stock 5.O exhaust that is choking up the motor. Cobra's are suppose to respond nicely with exhaust.

thanks sawson. As Jim pointed out, the 88 was sold (Jim, keep an eye out for it, kid was from Fairfield [Wink]

Not sure what the plans for the 93 are, other than to enjoy and maintain it, maybe show it a little, and definatley some autox.

Dont have any plans to turn it into a sac raceway special. The 67 will serve that purpose.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sweet, I'm sure you'll take it to Sac raceway for a base line or two.... maybe a few more trips after you see what 3.90's, full exhaust and the "15 minute" 5.O tune up nets you [Wink]

If you don't want to hassle with all the A9L/MAF swap stuff, just get a chip from racesystems.com, they can copy all the A9L tables onto a chip for your Z3M. I think the biggest Cobra EEC hurdle is the delay the EEC has before going into WOT mode after the pedal is mashed.

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 67stang:
This car, with stock 3.08 gears,

Chirag, Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the 93 Cobra's all came with 3.27 gears

Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Nope, 3.08's....I just swapped to 3.27's.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info

Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com