Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GR40 kit for a foxbody? polishing a turd?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GR40 kit for a foxbody? polishing a turd?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking for serious opinions. You know the expression, "can't polish a turd", would that apply to handling and the venerable fox-body stang?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey man if you want a ride in my car i'll give you one, i have a couple of people coming to look at my car this week, if it doesn't sell i will part you parts off my car if you still want a ride i'll give one to you i can get on an on ramp at 60 mph and that is with out a torgue arm pan hard bar, camber is not set to handle either promise you won't here my tires sqeal. [Big Grin]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey I'm not doggin' your car in any way, I'm just saying from the enthusiast standpoint.... does dumping 5 or 6k into the suspension make sense? Does it even take you to where an LS1 starts at from the factory? other modern platforms like an RX7, etc. etc. [Big Grin]
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i rode in a friends coupe with road race suspension and DAMN! that was fun. im not sure what one it was though. lol

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car better handle better than an ls1 promise that, over all its all what you want to do with your car do you want a car that handles great.
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
does dumping 5 or 6k into the suspension make sense? Does it even take you to where an LS1 starts at from the factory? other modern platforms like an RX7, etc. etc. [Big Grin]

Putting that money into a fox mustang makes perfect sense...if you are on a budget. Most people that installed either the griggs or mm packages (myself included) love the way their cars handle, and most of these cars can out perform (out-handle) the vettes, porsches or (fill in the blank) cars that cost $10-25K more.
At the time, my 85GT had a TA/PHB/LCA's and Griggs modified front stock k-member and some other minor suspension mods, could dust my 99 SS (4-5sec lap times).
The mustang, all told, cost me alot less to put together than the SS cost to purchase. I was also alot less worried about open-tracking it (and possibly wrecking it), and beating the crap out of it. One the other hand, if you put that money into an "LS1", it would handle just as good, but would also cost over twice as much.
So, bottom line IMO, it does make sense, and it does enable you to surpass the handling of a stock "LS1" even Vette.

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend of mine came over one day with John Griggs white convertible that had about everything they make on it. I wasn't a believer UNTIL I went for a ride. That car could do anything and it felt like you were doing 20mhp less than we were actualy doing. He just had swapped cars with John for the weekend, but damn it handled incredibly! Another time John took me for a run in his cobra. OMFG! Offramp at 80 (NO BS) John knew what it could do. Keep in mind the sign said 30 max.
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90LX  Ford pictures for 90LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gR40coupe:
Hey man if you want a ride in my car i'll give you one, i have a couple of people coming to look at my car this week, if it doesn't sell i will part you parts off my car if you still want a ride i'll give one to you i can get on an on ramp at 60 mph and that is with out a torgue arm pan hard bar, camber is not set to handle either promise you won't here my tires sqeal. [Big Grin]

I am definetly interested some of those parts if you part it out.
lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My old gt was fully equipped with griggs and it was weird because I never felt like I was pushing the car hard until someone was trying to hang with me, or someone was in the car with me screaming. Then you realize just how fast it is in the corners.....I recall one late night trip to Tahoe playing around with a late 90's 911, I couldn't hang with him in the straights but I was in his bumper every turn, he eventually gave me the lead in a passing lane and after 4 or 5 turns I never saw him again! Griggs rips! The GR40 kit will be the first thing that goes on my next stang.... have fun.

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com