Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Stall converter Question???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Stall converter Question???
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im looking at the art carr converters... My question is what is the difference in the inches for 10",11", or 12".... And the 10" is more expensive then any of them WHY???????

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 1o inch converter will give you higher stall, and more torque multiplication. Art Carr is good, but if you want a bitchen ass converter, call Emerald in Walnut Creek. They have a good 10 inch converter, and have made headlines in Ford magazines. Ford uses a low torquemultiplied sprag in their converters. Emerald uses a very high multiplier, that when put in Fords, wakes them up big time! Call and talk to Jim. Hes the owner. Tell him Scott Zimmerman gave you the number. He will explain everything about the converters. They even have a warranty! I have one of their top dog converters in my 9.0 second car. Had it for over 10 years now. Best converter Ive ever tried. Their number is 925-945-0510, and ask for Jim. I guarantee you will be happy with the converter!

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info..

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ike,
i've tried to email you regarding the emerald 9" i have for sale... not sure if you got the email.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Emerald converters= very very expensive

--------------------
Support our troops!

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

This is my daily driver so I cant have the stall to high.. A nine inch would be a very high stall correct??
My email is likeike@hotmail.com

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Educate yourself, young Ike. Feel the Force...

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/converter/index.shtml

[Big Grin]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Thanks Jim .....
S331saleen
¯
Member # 1886

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S331saleen  Ford pictures for S331saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the stall is higher than 2500 rpm, will it be a pain to get it moving in traffic or from a stoplight? I asked a few people with PI 2600 and 2800 stall 9" converters and they tell me that they have to give it some gas then let off the brake or else it's sluggish off the line. Will a lower stall keep daily driving simple while lower my ET's 2-3 tenth?

[ September 26, 2002, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: FAT CAT LEEN ]

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is some basic info also.

http://www.converter.cc/frequently_asked_questions.htm

If you have decent gears a higher stall TC will not adversely affect you daily driving, yes it will feel sluggish off the line, kinda like you are slipping a clutch a lil but nothing really bad unless you go over the 3,500rpm mark or so.

I would not even wast my time with anything less than a 2,800 stall in most cars. Most good TC should net you .5-.9 10th in the 1/4. But when people get scared and only get the 2,000-2,600 stall they typically only see a .2-.4 ET improvement.

Do some research and GO DRIVE a car with a stall in it AND DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A DECENT SIZED STALL IN THEIR CAR! I have found these people to be most inaccurate in the knowledge of TC's.

The Myth about the car not moving till you hit the stall point of the TC is garbage.

Also like CustomN20 said, the higher the TQ multiplication (Yank refers to it as Stall Torque Ratio) the tighter the TC will feel off the line and the harder it is going to hit off the line but the lower the efficiency on the top end.

I run a 4,400 stall on my daily driver and it is a lil big but the 3,800 I used to have was perfect. As was the 3,500 I used to have in my 87 Mustang.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i want to get around a 2800 stall, thats my next mod I am getting. Do you think I can hit low 13's with the new Drag radials I am getting next week or high 12's? I ran a 13.70 last tiem out so I almost had a 13.6. So would .6 tenths be resonable for drag radials and a stall?

--------------------
Support our troops!

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is totally doable if you get the right converter that is matched to your set-up. In my experience with GM converters the only way you can get a .6 or better ET reduction with a small stall like the 2,800 is if it has a high Stall Torque Ratio or torque multiplier to make it hit real hard off the line.

In my Mustang I gained .9 in ET with the Art Carr AOD and a 3,500 stall. This was on a Powerdyne supercharged DSS motor. AOD suck when stock! So the ET gain may be more than what I typically see with LS1/LT1s.

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ohh, if you can find other people with converters identical to the unit you want and see what their 60's are with similar mods you can usually get an idea of what you are going to gain.

1 10th in 60' equates to roughly 1.75-2.0 10th in ET.

So if you ran 13.60 w/ 2.0 60' then you would run 13.0 on a 1.70 60'. In theory.

Last Sat. I ran 11.44@122 w/1.70 60'. Later on I ran 11.13@122 w/1.62 60'.

So the math is not perfect but it is pretty damn close.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com