Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I need a good mechanic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I need a good mechanic
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking for a good mechanic, either a individual or shop that will charge a reasonable price to replace a head gasket on my 91 5.0 I am in Fairfield but i am willing to travel to the bay area or Sacramento if needed or if possible maybe someone can come here I will buy all the parts and pay for the machine shop work any help would be appreciated thanxx [Smile]
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it the time restraints that are keeping you from doing this yourself, or have you just not had alot of experience with something like this and don't feel comforatble doing this kind of job? I only ask because it is very involved, but quite simple. Just takes time and patients. I live in sac, and would be willing to help out, but I am VERY busy, so time is an issue for me right now. Just let me know and we can go from there. I have some other friends that can help too If I can't. Also, you are POSITIVE that it is a head gasket issue right?

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah i am pretty sure, my care blows steam out of the tailpipes and my radiator goes empty after I drive it around town. I do not have alot of experience doing head gaskets but I will help any way I can. just let me know a time when either you or your friends will be free and give me a price. I prefer a weekend because I work all week. Thanxx
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also my heads are Edelbrock aluminum so they may be cracked. though I hope not.
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah we're all M-F (NOT MOTHER FUCKERS) guys too! [Razz] We all have work all day, and I do classes at night, along with some of them, so weekends are by far the best. I'll have to let you know. As for the heads...you will absolutely need to get them checked. Unfortuanetly this means your car will be down for at least a week, as we can disasemble everything, but then have to come back the next week or something after the heads are back from the machine shop.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A re-surface from the machine shop should only take a day. But it's a M-F thing. Rex Hutchinson racing on Auburn will do a good job (shave maybe .005 off the heads) & give the proper surface for a good seal. They charge $60 for just the surfacing. Extra for dis-assebly/assebly, cleaning, magnafluxing, etc. + new valve stem seals ~$30 are manditory. I can dis-assemble/assemble heads no problem. I think machine shops charge ~$60-80 for assembly/dis-assembly. The heads may also require a valvejob which normally runs ~$150 or so. If that's the case, you're either better off geting a set of aftermarket heads or hoging out the stock ones since they're off. Just cleaning up the exhaust bowls will give 10-15% more flow w/the stock valves. Grind down the exhaust hump for another 10%. Easy stuff, 5-6hours work with a die-grinder.

Now would also be a good time to upgrade the valvetrain to the TFS stock replacement springs. Seat pressure is 110lbs. Just that will give a little more power up top. This will also allow you to upgrade to 1.7RR's later on & not get any valvefloat. Summit sells the kit for ~$125. They also sell some of the best HG's you can get for $46. FRPP M-6051-B51's. You'll also need to pick up an intake gasket set FelPro 1262 ($20) & an upper to lower intake gasket ($8)....just in case the old one comes off in pieces. Can't remember if 91's come with the good steel valvecover gaskets. If not, you'll need a set of those too.

This is why shops charge such a hefty price. Normally $700 for a HG swap.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Thanks I appreciate all the advice and help everyone has given me. Hey 50ho how much do you think you might charge me so I can get all the cash and parts together. [Cool]
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do I qualify as a good mechanic?????

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
V8 boy
¯
Member # 861

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for V8 boy  Ford pictures for V8 boy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im always down to do work i live inl ivermore and i only work like one day a week so ican do it when u have time so let me kno call my cell 925 989 0714.

daniel

--------------------
2000 crystal White GT 5spd
mod list-O/R h-pipe,flowmasters, phenolic intake spacer, 70mm mac throttle body, densecharger,:)4.10's :D, 2in. drop springs, march underdrive pullies and a steeda tri-ax

R.I.P. 01 NBM Camaro

R.I.P. Miles Werho 12/8/02 dont worry miles ill make sure to keep all white mustangs alive in memory of u

Miss you too, StoplightWarrior :(

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh, Dan. Thanx for doing my clutch yesterday. It grabs nicely. Ask you bro if he can take my car tommarrow to get the mufflers put on. [worship] [Smile]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
I am looking for a good mechanic, either a individual or shop that will charge a reasonable price to replace a head gasket on my 91 5.0 I am in Fairfield but i am willing to travel to the bay area or Sacramento if needed or if possible maybe someone can come here I will buy all the parts and pay for the machine shop work any help would be appreciated thanxx [Smile]

I reccomend you taking it to V6 BOy.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com