Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog and catted x pipes??????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smog and catted x pipes??????
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone attempted to smog there stang with a
catted x pipe with 2 cats . Considering that the
factory H pipe has 4 on the 01 GT? It seems like
you would fail the visual inspection???

--------------------
03 Yukon 6" RCD/welds/MTR's
69 Camaro
72 Commando/500 caddy/39.5 Boggers
96 Dodge Cummins/2" Procomp/35's

Posts: 414 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: May 2002  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I've heard, yes you will fail visual, but you should be able to pass the actual smog test. So its up to you on whether you want the catted one versus the off road one. Good luck.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can pass the actual sniffer test with a high flow aftermarket pipe its just that you will fail visual because it has to have the same number of cats as it did when it came off the dealer lot.

Most places do not care about visual as long as you pass the test thats all most of them care.

If I were you I would buy an off road pipe and keep the one you have on there for smog. So when it comes time to smog throw the stock one on and you wont have any problems.

--------------------
Support our troops!

OFFROAD PIPE
¯
Member # 1607

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFROAD PIPE  Ford pictures for OFFROAD PIPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
You can pass the actual sniffer test with a high flow aftermarket pipe its just that you will fail visual because it has to have the same number of cats as it did when it came off the dealer lot.

Most places do not care about visual as long as you pass the test thats all most of them care.

If I were you I would buy an off road pipe and keep the one you have on there for smog. So when it comes time to smog throw the stock one on and you wont have any problems.

Thats what I do. It works good.

--------------------
ARGUING ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS, EVEN IF YOU WIN, YOURE STILL RETARDED.

Posts: 864 | From: Anaheim Hills, | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you think I will get much of a difference going from the factory h with cutouts (after
the last cat) to the 2.5 off road X???????

--------------------
03 Yukon 6" RCD/welds/MTR's
69 Camaro
72 Commando/500 caddy/39.5 Boggers
96 Dodge Cummins/2" Procomp/35's

Posts: 414 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes becasue you are going with a cutout after the cats all you are doing is taking the muffle away your not decreasing restriction, well maybe a lil with the mufflers but not a lot. You need to get a off road pipe you will feel the differnce.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew WOT  Ford pictures for Andrew WOT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will not fail the visual as long as your car has converters (speaking from my own experience). See for yourself, my 98GT had 6 converters from the factory, 99+ for some reasons have 4. Do you really think that operator knows how many of them you should have. [Roll Eyes]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com