Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rear sway bar Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rear sway bar Question
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Question.
My rear swaybar has now broken. I have called around to get some prices and the lowest i came across have been 130 bucks. While talking to the tech guys at the places that i have called they all tell me the same thing....ford really made a weak ass rear sway bar..we always have people calling up for a replacement". My question is: Can I drive around with out rear sway bar (I know i could but will it be a hazard not having it)? Will i damage any other part of my car with out the bar? I plan on replacing the bar after i get some $$ sometime next week. Thanks for the help. [patriot]

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll be fine driving around with out it attached for a while. Call around some local shops, I think there is a ford part number for a stronger rear sway bar you can get.
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
isnt the convertable rear sway bar bigger?

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AZTECLX:
Question.
My rear swaybar has now broken. I have called around to get some prices and the lowest i came across have been 130 bucks. While talking to the tech guys at the places that i have called they all tell me the same thing....ford really made a weak ass rear sway bar..we always have people calling up for a replacement". My question is: Can I drive around with out rear sway bar (I know i could but will it be a hazard not having it)? Will i damage any other part of my car with out the bar? I plan on replacing the bar after i get some $$ sometime next week. Thanks for the help. [patriot]

are you looking for new or used sway bar

if you get me a ford part number I could probably get you a better price then what your getting and yup it would be new

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the same thing happened to me in my 2001 GT. broke mine loose 2 times. it's been ok now for a while. you can drive on it, but you're rear end will felx more, and you'llprobably hear a clunk (at least i did) when you stop and acelerate. but i was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to better sway bars because ours are so weak?

-chris

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Steeda reinforced is like 110....My buddy drove around without his and was fine.

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear will have a tendency to lift in hard turn's.

Yes a larger thicker sway bar will make a bigg diffrence, But dont forget the front should be bigger then rear. LOL

./Matt

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah its a common problem my boy broke his rear bar too. All the bar is for is to stabalize the car. It will not hurt a thing to drive with out it. Someone told me that the bars are all hollow and the ends break where they are flat. The best thing to do is get a cobra rear bar cause they are solid.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering, what years is this weak rear sway bar mostly?

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com