Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » new cams or reground?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: new cams or reground?
Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm new to the cams in the sohc mustangs. about how much would it cost to buy new cams and have them installed? or how much would it cost to have the stock ones reground and reinstalled? any guesses? thanks

-chris

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also what type of gains would i get from them?

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont do that shit at your level of mods. You'll gain 8hp from brand new Sean Hyland Motorsport cams, for example, and they're fucking expensive as shit. Get some 3.73's next, or else start saving for that blower that will eventually be on there.

I dont understand why 98.5% of 99+ GT owners blow so much money on random parts like MAFs, pulleys, etc...when in the end, they would be so much better off/faster if they just said, "Fuck the bolt ons," and put a damn blower and some flowmasters on their ride. [Confused]

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
I dont understand why 98.5% of 99+ GT owners blow so much money on random parts like MAFs, pulleys, etc...when in the end, they would be so much better off/faster if they just said, "Fuck the bolt ons," and put a damn blower and some flowmasters on their ride. [Confused]

not all of us want unreliable daily drivers. Ask Matt, Brian, Harold, Gabe, Naych, Dean and the others how much fun their having/had with blowers on their cars driving daily.

[ September 09, 2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: 2000BlackGT ]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, chuck, good point (though I still argue that forced induction can be safe if done properly) but would you spend $800 for some 8hp custom cams, or 1200 for 5hp bullit intake, or 500+install for some longtubes...you must admit that a blower or nitrous is the best bang for the buck by miles!

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i see the point...but..i would feel so much better if i had a burly 300RWHP N/A mustang running mid 12s than a blown car running mid to low 12s.
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everyone has their opinions just depends how much $$$$ you got simple mods are great additions to the 4.6 such as gears, steeda puulies,and t/ajust look at marks car 13.1 with bolt ons every one with blowers can't say their car is realiable i honestly would have the fear in the back of my mind about blowing my engine no matter how good the tune is i would feel more safe if i said i got a forged engine with a blower.Some people are happy with bolt ons and 300 flywheel hp just depends, the only blower that proves to seem to be reliable is the saleen roots blower don't hear of too many of them blowing up?

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
speed cost how fast do you want to go???? I see what he is say about buying cams, If your just going for cams and dont know when or if your going to build your motor then whats the point. If you dont plan on buying the whole puzzel then why buy one part of it. If your going to go through the trouble of cams you might aswell wait and get some head work and maybe look into intakes too. Thats the way I look at it but hey whatever floats your boat bro.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LIKE THE MAN SAID BEFORE ME WAIT TILL U GET ALL OF THE PUZZLE PIECES BEFORE U START PUTTIN IN TOGETHER.
BUT IF U STILL NEED CAMS I HEARD CROWER AND COMP CAMS SELL BILLET ONES.I WOULDNT GO TO SHAWN HYLAND BECAUSE I HEAR TONS OF SHITTY STUFF THAT COMES OUT OF THERE, BUT THATS JUST ME.
MY MOTOR IS BUILT TO HANDLE SOME POWER. IF U REALLY WANT TO BUILD SOME POWER U BETTER BUILD THAT BOTTOM END FIRST.
BUT U CAN ALSO GO REGRINDS LIKE ME.I REALLY DONT KNOW THE SPECS ON THEM BECAUSE MY EINGINE BUILDER IS DOING THAT.I CAN GIVE U THE # OF MY EINGINE BUILDER IF U WANT.
[burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SheWillSmokeYou
¯
Member # 452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheWillSmokeYou  Ford pictures for SheWillSmokeYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my free Crower cams [dance]

--------------------
Just a Punk Ass small Block :)

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Snake98Girl:
I love my free Crower cams [dance]

Free?????????? Damn How the hell do you keep coming up on good ass deals, please tell me what I am doing wrong here....LOL

--------------------

SheWillSmokeYou
¯
Member # 452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheWillSmokeYou  Ford pictures for SheWillSmokeYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, working with the Southern California Diablo dealer gets us great deals [Smile]

--------------------
Just a Punk Ass small Block :)

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by Snake98Girl:
well, working with the Southern California Diablo dealer gets us great deals [Smile]

AHHH, I SEE [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com