Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Please help (detenation)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help (detenation)
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddies 94 cobra has the regular bolt ons(underdrives/throttle body/CAI/headers/high flow cats/cat back) He tells me he can't advance his timing past 7* intial. WTF? He says it will start to ping at the top of third if it is any higher. Knowing that this condition is lean and not looking at the car yet I would assume many things. Things like fuel pump/fuel press reg./bad cats/faulty inj.....Any other ideas would help. Please let me know what your best thought is. BTW he says the cats are pretty knew and the pump isn't making any noise at all(also pretty knew/88lph). Do you think that possibly something is wrong with his distributor?

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles on the motor? Does the car run hot?? Wrong heat range spark plugs might do it also... carbon build up in the cyl (unlikely if the motor is semi low mileage), bad gas, etc etc

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Couple of things to do/check.

1. Change the fuel filter....& DON'T get a FRAM!!!
2. Check for a spun balancer. Quite comon.
3. Check FP at the schrader valve. Should be 39-41psi. If it's too high or too low, it could cause the damn thing to ping. YES, too High can cause it too! I had a car pinging with 41, so I dropped it to 36 & all was well!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Richard95stang
¯
Member # 91

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard95stang  Ford pictures for Richard95stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a Byron custom chip at Apex
Posts: 1496 | From: san jose, ca. usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car has 112k miles on it and the timing can't go past 10*. The balancer is a pretty new sfi one outa the motorport catalog.
Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the FP?
It'd be really helpfull if you could take her for a spin with the guage mounted so you could see if it's dropping when it's pining. Could be a weak Fuel pump not keeping up with demand.
Have you checked the voltage at the pump?

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem with my '94.GT I went through everything, every part. It seems to be a really common problem with '94-'95's. At first I thought it was my mass air meter, becuase I took out the "screen". and when I went to get a new Pro-M 75mm bullet it got even worse....3 Pro-m's later and many phone calls, Jim Gonzales, (owner of Pro-Flow)sent me an "Optimizer" for the mass air meter. I could change the voltage via two knobs/screws and by doing that it changes the air fuel ratio. Now I can run 18 degrees with no problem. Also when I called the first time Pro-m said with cold air kits in the fender the mass air flow doesnt sample air properly, becuase of the elbow.. I hope that helped..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com