Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car stalls only when cold >>

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car stalls only when cold >>
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ever since I've got my return style fuel system conversion and switched back to a Pro-M MAF....the car stalls EVERY single time I come to a stop when the temp needle is under mid (normal)...probably the first 5-10 minutes of driving. The car seems to idle/decelerate better when the AC is on...tomorrow morning I'll try it once again w/ the AC on while cold.

Byron re-adjusted the chip a couple of times now....still nothing. I've tried emailing him and Apex a few times now...I don't know if their stumped or if they're igoring my emails, they usually get back to me within a day. Now I don't know if it's the fuel system or MAF that's causing this..or if it's something else that just happened to come up at the same time. This is pissing me off..not to mention it's dangerous when your car just shuts off on you especially when your trying to hit the brakes.

Any suggestions?

[ September 08, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: VortechSaleen ]

Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:
Ever since I've got my return style fuel system conversion and switched back to a Pro-M MAF....the car stalls EVERY single time I come to a stop when the temp needle is under mid (normal)...probably the first 5-10 minutes of driving. The car seems to idle/decelerate better when the AC is on...tomorrow morning I'll try it once again w/ the AC on while cold.

Byron re-adjusted the chip a couple of times now....still nothing. I've tried emailing him and Apex a few times now...I don't know if their stumped or if they're igoring my emails, they usually get back to me within a day. Now I don't know if it's the fuel system or MAF that's causing this..or if it's something else that just happened to come up at the same time. This is pissing me off..not to mention it's dangerous when your car just shuts off on you especially when your trying to hit the brakes.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dean,

Have you checked for loose connections on the negative terminal on the battery. Seen this sort of problem before, usually turned out to be an earthing problem.

Mark

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe try drilling a small hole into ur butterfly valve in the TB..so that when off hte gas...air can still get past teh TB....if its closing all the way, thus not letting any air into the intake. Try as a last resort if nothing else does the trick.
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
naych
¯
Member # 223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for naych  Ford pictures for naych    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dean,
My shuts off while driving but not sure if it was cold..The Ac was on and my also idles weird when AC is on not like your though.. Let me know what it is cause it has happen to me more than once.

Naych

--------------------
2001 GT Laser Red Tint
Full Saleen Conversion
Vortech SQ with 2.87 Plly
04 Escalade
white diamond on 24's(stolen)
05 yamaha r1

Posts: 308 | From: sacramento, ca. usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take it to steve, he'll fix it.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark: Yes, I've double checked all my grounds...their tight. My AC experiment seemed to not work either. But when I reset the battery, the first 10-15 minutes of driving (while the computer was re-learning I guess)it ran fine....but after 10 minutes...it eventually started to make its way back to its crappy self. Apex seems to think its due to such large injectors...the thing is, I've been running this combo for the passed year w/ no problems..its not till I switched over to a return-style fuel system, Pro-M MAF, smaller pulley, etc...when I started to experience "cold stalling". Here's a funny one...I called Pro-M for the hell of it...they best advice they could give me was to be happy and live w/ it by letting it idel in my driveway 10 minutes every time I want to drive it [Roll Eyes] ...many people w/ that combo aren't as fortunate to have it running right period...great advice [Roll Eyes]

Naych: it's normal to idle 100-200 RPM higher when the AC is on w/ our setup. It's not normal for it to stall though. Your still running the Lightening MAF right?.....I didn't seem to have any problems when I was running that. I'm back to a Pro-M by the way.

[ September 11, 2002, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: VortechSaleen ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pulling the codes is always a good place to start.

I had a similar problem a year ago. Turned out I messed up my MAF cleaning it.

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Pulling the codes is always a good place to start.

I had a similar problem a year ago. Turned out I messed up my MAF cleaning it.

Sawson, The Pro-M is brand spankin' new out of the box. Also during the convo' w/ Pro-M, I mentioned if there's anything they can check out if I sent it back to them...the response leads back to what they told me. "If there was really something wrong w/ it, it wouldn't be running as good as it does".....it runs good? [Embarrassed] They claim 80% of the guys running similar setups aren't so lucky....again, lucky? I'd hate to see what they consider something running "descent".
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where is your Idle set
I use to have kind of the same problem
I just had byron set my idle higher 800-900 rpm
that solved the problem when my car was doing that

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
where is your Idle set

Idle is set to 890...I tried a little experiment also that somewhat confirmed raising the idle probably would't help. In the morning...I turned on the AC immediately, this steadily raised idle by 100-200 RPM....still dips down when I come to a stop and eventually stalls.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:
quote:
where is your Idle set

Idle is set to 890...I tried a little experiment also that somewhat confirmed raising the idle probably would't help. In the morning...I turned on the AC immediately, this steadily raised idle by 100-200 RPM....still dips down when I come to a stop and eventually stalls.
I dont think turning on the AC helps yea it raises the IDLE but its more load on the engine
I know if i turn my AC it tends to shut off on me

hmmm I was saying to up the idle with the chip couse its controlled by the computer but if its set to 890 then you should not have a problem

I know when I set the idle on my car i had it set at 700rpm and it would shut off sometimes but then I took it to 900-950 and it does drop to 600-700 know but then it comes back and stays at 900+
but it does not shut off

did you put cams in your car or is it just suppercharged what modes you have

[ September 11, 2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: 99gt-UJSTLST ]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

No..no cams, maybe I might pay a visit to Byron today and have him set the idle around 950 or so.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

thats starnge though that when you went to returnstyle fuel and changed the MAF it started acting up

well you know the rule usually what you did last is whats couseing the problem

but you did 2 things hmm I would try swapping out the MAF being thats the easiest to do

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
thats starnge though that when you went to returnstyle fuel and changed the MAF it started acting up

well you know the rule usually what you did last is whats couseing the problem

but you did 2 things hmm I would try swapping out the MAF being thats the easiest to do

Ya...it does run better w/ a Lightening MAF...only problem is it can't keep up w/ the 3.12" pulley. Another solution would be to sacrifice some HP and step back down to a 3.33" so I can use the L-MAF again. I'll need another retune if I go this route and it's not positive that it'll fix the problem. I'm not ready to take that chance.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com