Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car idles at 1500....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car idles at 1500....
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not my problem, but I sold a cold air intake to a guy for a 91 GT. He installed it (fenderwell filter) and when he starts the car up, the idle jumps to 1500 and sits there... It doesn't pull itself down at stop lights or anything?? I tried adjusting the idle with the screw under the throttle body, but even if I take the screw OUT, it still sits at 1500. I can adjust the idle higher, just not lower. I sprayed the area with WD40 while running (was careful) to check for air leaks, but everything seemed fine. The car runs strong, no hickups or anything, just idles HIGH? Any ideas would by greatly appreciated. It ran perfect prior to the installation of this.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the problem of low idle, like 500rpm, i went to ford and bought that idle air kit that goes between the tb and idle air bypass valve and now i idle at like 900, im sure that can fix your idle problem. item only cost me 22 dollars
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used those on supercharged motors, but never needed one on a stock motor???

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Not my problem, but I sold a cold air intake to a guy for a 91 GT. He installed it (fenderwell filter) and when he starts the car up, the idle jumps to 1500 and sits there... It doesn't pull itself down at stop lights or anything?? I tried adjusting the idle with the screw under the throttle body, but even if I take the screw OUT, it still sits at 1500. I can adjust the idle higher, just not lower. I sprayed the area with WD40 while running (was careful) to check for air leaks, but everything seemed fine. The car runs strong, no hickups or anything, just idles HIGH? Any ideas would by greatly appreciated. It ran perfect prior to the installation of this.

Your idle air solenoid is gone. Get a new one for 70 bucks or so. Its that cylinder shaped little plunger thing mounted on the side of the T.B.

[ August 29, 2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: MRBiggs ]

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

I will give it a try. Sounds reasonable.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Any other ideas??? It idles great, just doesn't drop below 1500. I can adjust it higher than 1500, and it will idle there perfectly. Not below though.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here newbie:

http://www.50tech.com/index.php?action=Idle

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com