Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 98 Cobra Fuel Pump???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 98 Cobra Fuel Pump???
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this really a 88lph???

Where do I find an aftermarket fuel pump. Every place says they are the same up to 97. But I know my shit is a return style. What do I do? Buy a pump, make it work? Somebody on here with a 98 has gotta know....HELP

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
'98 got a 190lph if I remember right.
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a 190lph? Damn that's alot.

I just did the math and my motor needs a minimum flow of 120lph. The 98 mustang spec. site I go to says the pump flows 125lph at 45psi. If that stands true considering pumps flow less with more fuel press. it seems like it would be no bigger that a 155lph. But I don't even thing it's that high...HELP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by T-TopTerror:
a 190lph? Damn that's alot.

I just did the math and my motor needs a minimum flow of 120lph. The 98 mustang spec. site I go to says the pump flows 125lph at 45psi. If that stands true considering pumps flow less with more fuel press. it seems like it would be no bigger that a 155lph. But I don't even thing it's that high...HELP

Yes, thats true, previous years had 155's if I remember right, but you have to remember this is a return style fuel system. You need at least 20-25% of the fuel to flow back into the tank, even at WOT. If you calculate this into the equation, you'll see that that 155 was kind of skimping it by. There is also the heat factor. After running for a while or in hot weather, fuel pumps heat up and don't flow as much. Finally, there is the "you can't go wrong with too big of a fuel sytem" line. Whats the worste a big pump will do? Just pump more fuel to the front of the ar so the regulator can just ship it back to the gas tank. No real harm done [Smile]
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Does everybody else say it's a 190lph????
Stimson
_
Member # 51

http://www.corral.net/forums ask these guys in the modular forum, they'll know for sure.
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Thanks for the idea....
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, Its a 190.
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Thanks Gabe. BTW, where/how much was the polishing on the upper ntake and valve covers? I'm needing to do that.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we put a 255lph in our 98

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

If you put a 255 in your tank is it the same set up as a 97??? Some pump manufacturers list the years as 79-97 or something like that. I know they don't say 98 though.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com