Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil in the intake tube and throutle body

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oil in the intake tube and throutle body
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to remove the intake tube to clean under it and i noticed oil in the intake tube and throttle body. so i go and buy a breather and a plug for the intake tube..

but the valve cover has a nipple that wont come off. so i couldnt buy a pushed in breather because it hits the break distributer....

anyone have any idea on how to remove this niple thing from the valve cover.

[ August 26, 2002, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: javier ]

Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TTT
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just break it and glue it. [Smile] I know you know how to do that one.
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok not much help sorry!

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was this problem on your 2001?, is so is it supercharged? I work at a dealer and notice that on the lightnings there is always oil in the intake tube I guess its a bad design on the valve covers that the engineers told me was ok when I questioned them about it and I wouldn't recommend putting a breather on just leave it alone. If this is on a 5.0 just get new valve covers with baffels on the pcv ports. [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yea one more thing if you put a breather on it, oil will puke out of it and leak ono your valve cover and exhaust and just make a mess. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Wolf
¯
Member # 1723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf  Ford pictures for Wolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick an oil catch can in between the valve cover and the airbox where the breather tube connects. If you go with an open element breather, you might have problems with the air meter. Better to keep it a contained system with the catch can to collect the oil that gets through.

--------------------
64 Mercury Comet - 289ci
99 Honda Superhawk - 996cc V-Twin

Posts: 122 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

What kind of getto idea is putting a catch can in between the intake tube and the breather. If I ever saw that on a car I would laugh for days. Look for a solution not a half ass idea.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was just a suggestion man.

I did it on my old turbo 2.3L Capri and it worked pretty good.

Ghetto, yes functional yes.

2.3 that went mid 13s? Yes.

Was it still Ghetto, yes.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Wolf
¯
Member # 1723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf  Ford pictures for Wolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
What kind of getto idea is putting a catch can in between the intake tube and the breather. If I ever saw that on a car I would laugh for days. Look for a solution not a half ass idea.

Uh... that's the whole purpose of a catch can. To catch fluids. [Roll Eyes] Solution: replace rings and valve seals to prevent blowby from presurizing crankcase and blowing oil out breather. Hmmmm, rebuild engine, or buy $20 catch can. Your call.

[ August 27, 2002, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Wolf ]

--------------------
64 Mercury Comet - 289ci
99 Honda Superhawk - 996cc V-Twin

Posts: 122 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Thanx for the responce guys.

MY 01 is not supercharged but i seem to be getting plenty of oil in the intake tube and throttle body.

I have heard about this catch can idea. I might favricate a gool looking one though... someting small but usefull.

thanx guys.

[ August 27, 2002, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: javier ]

ShowRoomStang
¯
Member # 1713

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShowRoomStang  Ford pictures for ShowRoomStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what im doing is im gonna di-grind the filler spout just below the tube and hose clamp on a K&N breather, then stick a nipple over the tube on the throttle body... NO MORE BLOW BY!!! besides, my stock valve covers have a oil shield that prevents oil from shootying out and it does just that!!! no oil on breather filter!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I have THE FASTEST "A" Trim car in the world!!!

Posts: 18 | From: Brentwood CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how will a breather cap interfer with the mass air meter
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oil in the intake and all that is normal the air mixes with it a bit as it goes through the supercharger and makes it into a mist. Now if you have oil drippin or a puddle of oil you got a bad bearing in the supercharger

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com