Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » F.A.S.T. / SPEED-PRO ECU

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: F.A.S.T. / SPEED-PRO ECU
outwest
Member # 216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outwest  Ford pictures for outwest    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know someone local that can help with the setups for the F.A.S.T. fuel injection systems.

Thanks,
Russ

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
help with install, or help tuning? The only person i know thats installed the speed-pro is gabe (youl luz), but hes in sac

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
outwest: Whats your combo? If you have a 5.0(86-93) the install is so easy a monkey could do it.. If you have a 4.6, OH MY GOD ITS A BITCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keith at forced fed performance in Yuba City can probably help you with install and tuning.

http://www.forcedairmotorsports.com/

Also Fodge engineering in Sacramento and Wizard racing in Woodland are people that you should contact.

If its not too hard I can probably answer any questions that you may have.

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[BS flag] stay clear of Forced Fed performance. They gave me the run around for months.. IF its not a straight swap in kit, they have no idea how to do it .. I also went to Fodge engineering and they never even got back to me on how much it would cost [BS flag] .. After all the wait I just decided to do it myself.. Glad I did because they way I did it you cant even see any of the wires and ALL the factory gauges still work.. Thats a VERY hard thing to do on 96+ cars. Hell even my cruise control still works. [worship]
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's weird about Force Fed. My 67 stang was not a straight swap and my friends 67 nova was not either, but Keith was able to help with both of our combos! And Fodge is Fodge!! Craig at F.A.S.T recommends him and Wizard Racing over anybody in the Greater Bay Area. If you can get Fodge he can do good things on the Dyno. Made over 1000hp in my combo and around 1300 on my friends. I think his name is Theo(never met him but was referred) at Wizard. He has a real fast car in the PSCA that is a top contender.
Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know this system you guys are talking about replaces mass air, but how exactly is it different and how is it better than mass air? Oh yeah, and what is the cost for it? Thanks.

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
outwest
Member # 216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outwest  Ford pictures for outwest    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by youl luz:
outwest: Whats your combo? If you have a 5.0(86-93) the install is so easy a monkey could do it.. If you have a 4.6, OH MY GOD ITS A BITCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 331 with a novi making 25lbs. intercooled, backed with a c4. the install is done i am looking for some help with the tune or someone to ask question to see what has worked and what has not. thanks for all the replies.

Russ

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.8L 2b:
I know this system you guys are talking about replaces mass air, but how exactly is it different and how is it better than mass air? Oh yeah, and what is the cost for it? Thanks.

I can go on and on about this.... but in short the main difference is mass air measures the mass (number of oxygen molocules) of the air comig into the motor per unit of time. Speed Density measures the pressure in the manifold to calculate the quantity and rate of air entering the motor.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by outwest:
I have 331 with a novi making 25lbs. intercooled, backed with a c4. the install is done i am looking for some help with the tune or someone to ask question to see what has worked and what has not. thanks for all the replies.

Russ

Sounds just like "John91Coupe"'s combo. He can be found on this message board. What heads are you running?
Mikal
¯
Member # 652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikal  Ford pictures for Mikal    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just to clarify, Mass air systems calculate the weight or mass of the air, not the amount.
-Mike

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Nobody that I know or would trust(as in giving money) in the Bay Area can tune or have the complete knowledge to make you combo run at its best. I would either call Wizard or Fodge and see what they can do for you. Or, you can get a base program from a place like Kinsler out of state and go hit a chassis dyno and start tweaking it until it runs the best. Good luck

--------------------
I like cars.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by Mikal:
just to clarify, Mass air systems calculate the weight or mass of the air, not the amount.
-Mike

If they calculated weight, it would be called a weigh air meter instead of a mass air meter. Mass and weight are two different things as I'm sure you know [patriot]
Mikal
¯
Member # 652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikal  Ford pictures for Mikal    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How to Understand, Service, and Modify Ford Fuel injection & Electronic engine Control.
Charles Probst, SAE

Sec. 4, pg. 79

3.2 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

1.It measures air mass, or weight, ...

Mass: The quanity of matter contained in an object. Also a measure of that objects resistance to acceleration. With normal earth gravity, it is equivalent to weight.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
How to Understand, Service, and Modify Ford Fuel injection & Electronic engine Control.
Charles Probst, SAE

Sec. 4, pg. 79

3.2 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

1.It measures air mass, or weight, ...

Mass: The quanity of matter contained in an object. Also a measure of that objects resistance to acceleration. With normal earth gravity, it is equivalent to weight.

I have that book as well, it has many flaws in it. It gives a good general over view, but is far from a bible. Check out the 5th edition of the Bosch Automotive Handbook if you want an automotive "bible".

Mass and weight are two very different concepts. Look at the definition to copy/pasted... a mass air meter doesn't measure, account for or even care about the air's gravitational pull to Earth.

Weight is the "gravitational force exerted on an object" and mass is the "amount of matter contained in a physical body that is the measure of a body's resistance to acceleration, different from but proportional to its weight."

The "cool" thing about a mass air meter is that it measure the MASS of the air coming it. This means it doesn't care for the density, temprature, ect of the air being drawn in since those extra variables are eliminated by design of the meter.

No Weight Air Meter's here....

quote:

Mass and Weight

Before we get into the subject of gravity and how it acts, it's important to understand the difference between weight and mass.

We often use the terms "mass" and "weight" interchangeably in our daily speech, but to an astronomer or a physicist they are completely different things. The mass of a body is a measure of how much matter it contains. An object with mass has a quality called inertia. If you shake an object like a stone in your hand, you would notice that it takes a push to get it moving, and another push to stop it again. If the stone is at rest, it wants to remain at rest. Once you've got it moving, it wants to stay moving. This quality or "sluggishness" of matter is its inertia. Mass is a measure of how much inertia an object displays.

Weight is an entirely different thing. Every object in the universe with mass attracts every other object with mass. The amount of attraction depends on the size of the masses and how far apart they are. For everyday-sized objects, this gravitational pull is vanishingly small, but the pull between a very large object, like the Earth, and another object, like you, can be easily measured. How? All you have to do is stand on a scale! Scales measure the force of attraction between you and the Earth. This force of attraction between you and the Earth (or any other planet) is called your weight.

If you are in a spaceship far between the stars and you put a scale underneath you, the scale would read zero. Your weight is zero. You are weightless. There is an anvil floating next to you. It's also weightless. Are you or the anvil mass-less? Absolutely not. If you grabbed the anvil and tried to shake it, you would have to push it to get it going and pull it to get it to stop. It still has inertia, and hence mass, yet it has no weight. See the difference?

I hope others learned something from this as well? [Confused]
Mikal
¯
Member # 652

Lets look at it this way:

The MAF transfer function is not in CFM, its in weight.

X Value: A/D Counts or Voltage
Min: 0 A/D or 0 volts
Max: 1023 A/D or 4.9999 volts

Y Value: Air mass in Kg/hr or lbs/tic

Weight and Mass(since we are not astronomers or a physicists off the earth)

"What's the difference between weight and mass?
As long as you stay on Earth, the difference is more philosophical than practical.
But if you stay on Earth, gravity is always the same, so it really doesn't matter whether you talk about weight or mass.
If you talk about the mass of an atom-you're always talking about the same thing; if you talk about its weight, what you mean depends on where the atom is. "
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/periodic_table/mass.html

-Mike [Smile]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Lets look at it this way:

The MAF transfer function is not in CFM, its in weight.

Y Value: Air mass in Kg/hr or lbs/tic

Mass and weight are measured with the same units [Wink] The MAF transfer function is like I said in my first post on this topic:

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
mass air measures the mass (number of oxygen molocules) of the air coming into the motor per unit of time.

aka Kg/Hr (Kilograms per Hour)

I've said everything I've wanted to say on the topic... the original poster can take from it what he wants [patriot]

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am no expert at tuning the FAST system, though my car seems to run pretty good on track as well as driving around on the street. If I could have my choice of FAST tuners it would be Jim Summers, but he isn't about to come out to CA. He has given me a ton of information and tips about tuning (I bought my setup from him) with the FAST setup but I don't think I would put myself in a position to have any of the people mentioned do my tuning. To each his own I guess.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so, to lose weight, i need only move to a different planet...

that's good, cuz i'm very heavy
what's a ticket to pluto cost these days?
[Smile]
j/k

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by rob:
so, to lose weight, i need only move to a different planet...

that's good, cuz i'm very heavy
what's a ticket to pluto cost these days?
[Smile]
j/k

Hey Rob, this web page should help you decide what planet you want to move to so you can lose weight:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/weight/

Pluto is a good choice.... nice and cold... no need for an inter/aftercooler!

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, you don't need to go all the way to Pluto, it's a REALLY long trip. The Moon will give you about the same gravity and is just as cold, something like 360 deg F below zero. Gonna need some very heavy clothing though [Big Grin]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as relevance to mass from weight is invloved, none of the interluded statements that previously were presented contain any relevance to the forth coming.

Mass equations in the mass of the world is non linear once weight is added. Weight non-perpetulates mass as a coexsisting substance, dependant on each other. Plight, brought together from merging at an equilibrium presence does not necessarily bring one or the other more relevant to the formula of m/w=2xm3.

Doctor Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oops i posted on the wrong thread.

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Doctor Scott has been smoking reefer in the boys room [dance]
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might want to look into a EPEC. they are very to use. I use a FJO wide band for A/F feedback. I put the hole set up together for less than 1500.00 you can find a copy of the software on the web to see if you like it.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com