Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car won't Start...Any Ideas

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car won't Start...Any Ideas
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yesterday evening I went to leave work. So I got in car turned her over. Nothing Except for a click. So I thought well hell I guess I will try jumping it. In the process of jumping it my battery cables started to smoke [Eek!] (No the cables weren't on crossed either). So I removed the cables (they were hot as hell too). Well then I got a screwdriver and tried crossing these two connector on this little thingymobob(it says engine control unit) next to the coil. Nothing there except a little spark and burn marks on my screwdriver. That thingymobob is what is clicking. It clicks everytime I turn the engine over. I have volts therefore I don't think my battery is dead or my alternator is bad (I am going to have it tested though). I think it is either my starter or coil. Any one have a different opinion please let me know so I have those parts replaced or tested also.

Thanks in advance

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bad ground--probably from the starter to the soiloniod.
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by unfknblvbl89:
Yesterday evening I went to leave work. So I got in car turned her over. Nothing Except for a click. So I thought well hell I guess I will try jumping it. In the process of jumping it my battery cables started to smoke [Eek!] (No the cables weren't on crossed either). So I removed the cables (they were hot as hell too). Well then I got a screwdriver and tried crossing these two connector on this little thingymobob(it says engine control unit) next to the coil. Nothing there except a little spark and burn marks on my screwdriver. That thingymobob is what is clicking. It clicks everytime I turn the engine over. I have volts therefore I don't think my battery is dead or my alternator is bad (I am going to have it tested though). I think it is either my starter or coil. Any one have a different opinion please let me know so I have those parts replaced or tested also.

Thanks in advance

Bro.. I'm having the same F'kn Problem with my car. All i hear is that clicking noise. I replaced the Starter Selinoied and the starter And nothing. [Frown] This shit is pissing me off cause i havent had my car in 3 days [Mad] . So maybe we got the sam problem. Hopefully someone can help us here. Im going to swap my brothers Selinoied with mines and see if that will do somthing. I'll keep you posted. JR. [patriot]

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Battery cables?
yipnip5.0
¯
Member # 175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yipnip5.0  Ford pictures for yipnip5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its your freakin battery. Both of you.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yipnip5.0:
Its your freakin battery. Both of you.

I've tried another battery, witch is pretty much brand new, and it still would hear that Clicking noise.

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive had the little connector that plugs onto the solonoid in the middle come off or loose and cause the problem. check the wire that that thing is attachedtoo
Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its not my battery I know that for sure. Why would my battery just go dead. The car was running just fine when I got to work. Battery cables yes maybe.

89hatchback_lx- You wanna hear something funny. We have the same damn car. Mine is a 89 LX also. Maybe we should just trade them in for new models. Nah!!!! If you figure out what it is let me know and I'll do the same on this end,

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your battery ground. My brother had the same problem with his '86. He tried two different starters and two different starter solenoids and even replaced his battery. I kept telling him to check his battery ground. He finally checked the ground strap on the back of the block and said it was secure. I asked about the battery-to-engine block ground and he was like "what?". So I went out to his car with a spare battery cable I had lying around, connected it to the battery and temporarily secured it to the engine block via the alternator bracket. The starter cranked right up and the engine fired up afterwards. Anyway, check the the battery ground at both the battery-to-engine block ground connection and the engine block-to-chassis ground at the back of the engine.

[ August 24, 2002, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: saleenfan ]

biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
clean ur damn battery terminals.
Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ignition Module is my though. I had mine die out in my old 89 GT. Sounds like the same problem as the both of you are having. LOL

./Matt

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Originally posted by Roush2960:
Ignition Module is my though. I had mine die out in my old 89 GT. Sounds like the same problem as the both of you are having. LOL

./Matt

Ignition Module?? Isnt that the Starter selinoied??? I've tried everything. New starter, New sterter selinoied, Regrounded the cable. What can it be?? [Confused] I'm running out of ideas on what it could be.
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

I apologize to anyone and everyone that said it was my battery. I feel like a dumbass now [Embarrassed] . I took the battery out of my truck and put it in my car and she cranked right over. F&*kn' POS. I just don't understand why the hell my diehard DIEDHARD .

89HATCH that was my prob man. Have you got yours figured out. However I am buying a bigger alternator to. I think between my U/D pullies and new injectors are pulling more amps than the one I have can handle.

Once again MY BAD!!! [Big Grin]

BIGJUNE
¯
Member # 1716

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGJUNE  Ford pictures for BIGJUNE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if ur batt. checks out ok . its a ground problem . take ur jumper neg. cable and hook it up to the neg. cable and to the block. then try to crank it . also clean ur batt. post and cables.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com