Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which set of Flowmasters for my Cobra?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which set of Flowmasters for my Cobra?
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi guys, I figured I would ask all you experts on here first before I get any installed-

Which application of Flowmasters should I get for my '98? The 40 series "Orignal Flows" (supposedly a bit louder) or the 40 series "Delta Flow" (supposedly a more mellow exhaust tone). Or is there another product ID that I should be looking at?

I'm personally thinking about going with the 40 series "Original Flows" to get that good 'ol badass Flowmaster sound.

Any ideas/help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Also-my piping is 2.25" stock, right? and the outlets are 2.75"?

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if you are gonna go with flowmaster do the orignal seres...the delta flow dont sound nearly as good. If you want best performance and sound...i would go wih the ZR1 muffler from Borla, with some 2 1/2 inch turndowns. If you car is stock that is the best thing you could do as far as mufflers. Full Borla with everything will prolly run about $700. But i think they are the best you can buy, for not only sound but performance. If you have a little money go with Borla...if not Flowmaster 40 series orignal with dual outlet will do just fine. [Smile]
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 'Delta flow' feature is extra baffles in the 'power chamber' of the muffler to cut down on the interior drone.

Flowmasters flow ~350-400cfm. Borla's easily flow double that, but are expensive. Dynomax is cheap & will out flow both of those. The ultra-flows flow 1000cfm+....Super turbo's are not so good ~400cfm.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1 chambers!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the original flows on my car and I love em. They make a car sound mean as hell.

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Evil Mach1
¯
Member # 26

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil Mach1  Ford pictures for Evil Mach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the original 2-chambers and an H-pipe on my Cobra. Sounds mean, not too loud, but just right IMO.

--------------------
2003 Mach 1
Black, 5-speed, silver stripes
*GONE*

USAF bound!!!
EAD: 1 Dec 04

Posts: 845 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
93 pony ....where did you get those CFM numbers? [Confused]
Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Mike
¯
Member # 59

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike  Ford pictures for Mike    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have One Chamber Flows on mine,with the STOCK H pipe,and it sounds great already...cant wait to get my O/R X pipe. [dance]

--------------------
1998 Mystic Teal Z28 M6

Posts: 411 | From: Fremont,CA US | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can't beat the 1 chamber flows, even with the stock h-pipe!

--------------------
2013 White Ford Raptor S/C
2012 BMW 335i
2006 Corvette Z06 - sold
1999 White Cobra Vert - Sold

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
93 pony ....where did you get those CFM numbers? [Confused]

Dynomax has them on their website. I had a flowmaster brochure that had the same info in it (on the flows), but can't seem to find it now.... Still, the best flowmaster was in the 400cfm range.
Dynomax doesn't advertise the cfm for the race bullets...that's what I have. [Big Grin]
They sound like a damn boat, but they definately do the job!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of our guys has a 98 cobra with catted bassani x, and 1 camber flows the 13"long mufflers and it sounds great. Really deep and clean.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running the 2 chamber delta's on my catted
GT. It has a nice flowmaster sound with about 75
% or so cut back on interior noise. If you drive
your stang alot on the freeway go for the delta's.

--------------------
03 Yukon 6" RCD/welds/MTR's
69 Camaro
72 Commando/500 caddy/39.5 Boggers
96 Dodge Cummins/2" Procomp/35's

Posts: 414 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: May 2002  |  :
mike22ca
¯
Member # 1675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike22ca  Ford pictures for mike22ca    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the normal 40 series..they are not as loud as people make them out to be.
Posts: 303 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all your input on this, guys. I went ahead and just ordered the Original 40 series mufflers & am going to weld them on in place of the stock mufflers. Then, when I have some money to throw around, I'll go ahead and get a bassani X-pipe and re-evaluate my muffler situation then and decide as to whether or not I want something else besides the Original 40 series. I think I will be happy with the Original 40 series Flows-I mainly want that mean-ass sound for now. Its such a shame that Cobras don't come stock with flowmasters or some sort of better sounding mufflers, at least.

Thanks again guys! [patriot]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 4 BRAND NEW sets of the old 2 chamber, 40 series flows, #43044, unopened in the box for $90 per set if interested.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
I have 4 BRAND NEW sets of the old 2 chamber, 40 series flows, #43044, unopened in the box for $90 per set if interested.

Damn..I paid like $80 per muffler from Motorsport Dynamics up here in Sac, which is a pretty good price..but I already ordered them yesterday and they are in the process of being shipped...Damn! I'm assuming that when you say "set" it is in reference to both mufflers being packaged together? If so that is a hell of a deal.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both mufflers are boxed seperately but are sold as a pair as you will get yours.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com