Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » getting gears soon

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: getting gears soon
slow&poor
¯
Member # 961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow&poor  Ford pictures for slow&poor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I plan on adding some 3.73 gears in a week at rearend specialties. I have a few questions:
1. How much will it cost?
2. How long will it take (with appointment)?
3. Will they install the speedo gear to correct the speedometer?
4. How long is the break in period?

Thanks

--------------------
1992 Mustang GT: Stolen 4/23/03

1993 Mustang GT:
Performance:
AFR 165 pedestal mount 60cc heads, Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers, FRPP EFI Valve Covers, Cobra Intake Manifold, BBK 3/8 Phenolic Spacer, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 76mm Mass Air Meter, BBK Fenderwell Cold Air Intake, BBK 1 5/8" Jet-Hot Shorty Headers, Bassani 2.5" X-Pipe w/ Cats, FMS 3.73 Ring and Pinion Gears, Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers, BBK Aluminum Underdrive Pulleys, B&M Supercooler, PA Full Manual Valve body w/ Trans Brake, TCI Street Fighter Lock up Converter, PA Performance 3G Alternator, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, Kirban Billet Fuel Pressure regulator, Hurst Quarter Stick
Handling:
MM Standard Length Subframe connectors, MM 4 Point K-Member Brace, MM Strut Tower Brace, Saleen Progressive Rate Lowering Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks, Pro3i Street/Strip LCA's w/ weight jackers
Performance:
*13.27 seconds ¼ mile time
*104mph traps

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1. About $600 (There gonna hit you up for bearings.)
2. A couple of hours
3. Nope
4. 500 miles

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No break in period for gears if they are done right, they only say "break in" to cover there ass!

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey slow&poor..I know a set of guys who are new in biz and looking for clients.There are in Milpitas near Great Mall. Gave me a good quote for gears and install. Cheaper then the company you mentioned. There installer for gears work's at a company that only dose gears and this is his side job for weekend's.

PM me and i can tell you the lo down on whats up.

They are:
GNJ Motorsports
1432 S. Main St
Milpitas , CA 95035
408-945-1900

LOL----./Matt

[ August 08, 2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Roush2960 ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3. Apex Motorsports is about two blocks away, stop by on your way there and buy the correct speedo gear... rear end specialties will install it for you for free. Thats what I did.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey ST5150<<--where is rear end specialties located at?? i need someone to seal the leaking of my gear thing....{previous post] the shop that installed them wants to charge me so i rather take it somewhere else where they will hopefully do a good job.
thank you

--------------------
=(

equus95
¯
Member # 910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for equus95  Ford pictures for equus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just had my gears installed last week by Rear End Specialties. Great job and quick too...from the time the guy pulled it into the stall and had the keys back to me it was 70 minutes. Yes, they did replace the bearings, but what the hell.. they have the diff. open it's only $90 (cheap insurance) and they don't charge any additional labor. They also replaced the outer two plates in my Traction-Lok, $80 for parts no addt'l labor. I also had them install a new speedo gear, purchased at Apex.
The total was $610.12
There is the "break-in" period that's a PIA, but just take it easy the first couple of hundred miles (no 6k drag launches) and you'll be fine. As soon as my first 500 miles is done I'm going to replace the fluid with synthetic.

Rear End Specialties
1040 DiGiulio Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408) 988-3619

--------------------
1995 GT
Cobra R rims,Hurst Billet Plus,3.55 FMS gears,ASP Underdrives
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust,FRPP headers,Home-made CAI

y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some 3.90's with me, they are a new ratio, u can be my guiniea pig and tell me how u like them, [Big Grin] i was planning on goin this week, let me know if you want some good
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear end Specialties does good work. They put the 4.10's in my GT, and we're going in next week to get the 3.73's put in the cobra.

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like when it comes time for me to get gears and have them installed I am going to have to head that way. I called and got a quote to get a set installed and they wanted 750 to install. They are out of their damn mind.

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com