Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help, 5.0 running hot.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help, 5.0 running hot.
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 94 GT 5.0 has been acting funny. It runs good in the city and in traffic, but as soon as I mash the pedal or go over 70 on the highway, it starts to go past the halfway point on the stock temp gauge and eventually my high speed fan kicks in. It does this even at night when it's cold outside. It never did this before. I did all the usual cooling system tricks: flushed radiator, added 70/30 water-coolant mix with water wetter, new 180 stat, new ECT sensor, manual fan switch, and I still heat up if the rpms go past 2500. Any suggestions?

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats your combo? How does your oil look? Lose any coolant?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine did the SAME thing, and it ended up simply being the water pump. It never did leak but I had the radiator sniffed for a gasket problem, changed the radiator, etc., and the inside of the pump was pretty nasty. No more problems since, at all.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a water circulation problem. When the engine revs higher or is under load, it produces more heat. If the water/coolant isn't moving fast enough to dissipate the heat to the radiator, it just simply absorbs the heat and gets hotter. I would probably look into the water pump (since you've done everything else) as a possible cause. The water pump impeller may have erroded somewhat (I've seen it happen a few times before) to the point where at low rpm or at idle it circulates just enough water to keep the engine cool but not enough at higher rpms and the engine temperature rises. By the way, what did the coolant look like when you drained the radiator? If the coolant had not been changed for a long time, deposits sometimes form inside the radiator and slightly restricts flow. A partially restricted radiator will also affect coolant circulation.
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car never leaked. Some coolant did disappear from the resevoir when it first heated up about a month ago but has not happened since. I had the radiator removed and taken to a shop where they cleaned it and tested it, they said it was fine. The coolant wasn't that dirty becaue I just had a new Stewart's water pump installed last December and had a flush done I think in March or Apil of this year. The Stewart pump is suppose to flow twice as much as the stock pump? Is there anyway to check if the pump isn't flowing as much at higher rpm's?

[ August 02, 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: The TASM ]

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
04 Mystic
¯
Member # 220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 Mystic  Ford pictures for 04 Mystic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked the thermostat? Mine was doing the same thing.

[ August 02, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: 4ADG952 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com