Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99 Cobras, whats the deal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 Cobras, whats the deal?
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am seriously looking into getting a '99 Cobra, but I remember that they were having trouble with them, particularly the manifold. What exactly is the whole story? Did everyone get a recall on them, or is this something I would have to pay for to get it fixed? If so, what was the cost?

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
free recall, although the recall is long in the tooth. I think they added a catback, a chip, and maybe something to do with the intake to try to get the HP figures up to what Ford had claimed (320?). sorry, not real helpful but it was well covered in the mustang mags like 2 years ago.

I think "pre-fix" '99 cobras had like 25x rwhp, and "post-fix" '99 cobras were nearly 270 rwhp or so.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

C55AMG
¯
Member # 1459

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for C55AMG  Ford pictures for C55AMG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 99 cobra....b4 you get the car calll SVT with the VIN number of the car youre getting so you can see if its still availible to get the fix....or see if it has already been applied. call SVT theyll tell u everything..1800SVTFORD...or 1800FORDSVT??? one of those

--------------------
04 Cobra

Posts: 47 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
StreetStang37
¯
Member # 935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreetStang37  Ford pictures for StreetStang37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend has a 99 Cobra and it has a sticker showing it got the "fix" but it only says about the "reprogram" it got and not the intake fix. His car is stock but his Hpipe only has 4 cats. Is that normal?

--------------------
1993 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Trick Flow Heads, Street Heat intake, 3/8in spacer, E303, TFS 1.7rr & 6.75 pushrods, Holley 190lph fuel pump, 24# injectors & sample tube, SVO timing chain, Aeromotive AFPR, 180* t-stat, 2 5/8 Auto Meter mech fuel pressure gauge, K&N, March Ram Air & Pullies, Black Magic Electric Fan, 73mm C&L MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 1 5/8in Equal Length Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2in H-Pipe w/hi-flow cats & Flowmaster 2 1/2in Cat-Back Exhaust, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Nitto DR's, 3.73 gears, FMS Aluminum DriveShaft, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Pro-Shift Lite, 9mm FMS Plug Wires, PowerSlot rotors, PowerMaster 140amp Alt., LX lights, Cobra R hood w/SVO scoop, Saleen spoiler, Cobra Bumper, MaCh1 paint scheme, 3in chrome tips

Posts: 88 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fix was a catback setup, a different belt tensioner, an extrude honed intake manifold and a reflash of the stock computer. My car ran 13.91 @102 pre fix and 13.495 @ 105 post fix bone stock. Some 99's have a small green sticker on the intake manifold and this signifies the fix has been done. Every car was recalled so I would guess alomst everyone has the fix. My Cobra runs right with all the 01's and is faster than a lot of 4v cobras out there. Test drive it, if it feels strong, buy that thing, you can get them cheap nowadays! Good Luck.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By the way, four cats is the norm [Smile]

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info everyone, now, the only question I have is, is it still possible to bring in the Cobra to be 'fixed' if it hasn't already been taken in?

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
BZ99Cobra
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine has already had the fix plus alot of other stuff. I have the 6yr 100k warranty and the car is going in to get a new engine,trans,, and 03 clutch,alum. flywheel next week(Its made a small noise in the block, only when cold, so they are just going to replace the engine [Smile] )
:
Darren99Cobra
¯
Member # 1083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darren99Cobra  Ford pictures for Darren99Cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most 99 owners that I know have had the "fix". Who would turn down ~20rwhp in a TSB from Ford? My car gained almost 30rwhp at 6600rpm.

--------------------
Darren
www.tacos3.com

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it normal for SVT if you have a problem with your engine to just replace the whole thing instead of trying to find the problem or easly fix it.

One of my buddys has a 98cobra and the first motor was a lil low on oil and seized up and broke a rod or two so they replaced that motor.

The next motor he was coming out of a p-lot and boom the car started shacking bad so we pull over and pop the hood, blew the spark plug out of the head, tore all the threads out.

Got another new motor from that too. So now hes on his 3rd motor and so far so good. I bet SVT wont sell him another car. [Wink]

--------------------
Support our troops!

99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey if you want a 99, buy the convertable it is cool, oh and yeah i know were there is one for sale, [Big Grin] I hear it is a great deal, [Big Grin] 22k or best offer

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it's SVT's policy to NOT let a dealer disassemble and fix motors. They swap it out and send it back to SVT for failure analysis.

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com